Oceania» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
flag msg tools
I picked this game up the other day on a whim. Mainly it was the solo play option that attracted me. After I got the game home I read the rules and played a solo game. It didn't grab me at first and usually for me that is usually a sign that I missed something in the rules.

So I went to the publishers website ( and watched the on-line tutorial. Low and behold...I missed a rule. I was playing where the top of the board was open for anything so I was having land tiles butt up against the top. I now realize that this is open seas and my move was illegal.

I then set up another game and started to explore the top left corner of the map. This route was quickly blocked as my only option was to explore south. I followed and a large island group started opening up at the bottom of the board. In past experiences I didn't think much of it as usually I have poor luck and am forced to seperate the group into two islands which does not help the score.

I then move to the upper right and my first two draws for the area were open seas. This allowed me to leap towards the upper middle and fill in the missing spaces. After the top filled up I started to run low on tiles.

As I draw tiles for the bottom Lady Luck was on my side. The large group just grew...with the addition of a few well placed and lucky tile draws. As the last space was filled with three tiles in the box it was time to total the score.

I had a few small islands, but I knew the large one on the bottom was going to set the bar high on one of my first games.

Total Island List: 2 @ 2; 1 @ 3; 2 @ 4; 1 @ 5 and then the whopper a mightly 17 island. As I had no empty spaces I had no negative modifiers.

Final score: 363
Total time: 15 minutes
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.