Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. So after a long absence I picked up a copy of the 40k mini rule book from eBay (the one that comes in the starter set). It has all of the stats for various armies, but it does not include special unit powers or point costs. I play the Tyranids, and have previously relied on the information in the core 4th edition rule book. Is this information now available only in the Tyranid Codex (5th isn't out yet), or is it in the larger stand alone 5th edition rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to have to buy the latest Tyranid Codex to play your army. The stats in the rulebook are just for comparison purposes, not really to use in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
You're going to have to buy the latest Tyranid Codex to play your army. The stats in the rulebook are just for comparison purposes, not really to use in gaming.

Thanks Simon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Space Marines and Orks have had Codices under 5th ed reign (with Imperial Guard looming). However, the last few codex were written with the changes in mind, so they say. Not sure whether this is true of the 'Nid book, but it is by no means flawed as a result. Personally, I feel that the current codex is far superior to the previous one. It's streamlined, yet even more versatile.

Welcome back to the fold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good news for you, though, as I hear the new 5th edition rules really give a nice boost to hoarding armies in terms of their affectiveness.

have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another silly question, then - is there an easy way to tell the editions apart? I've been browsing eBay (and, for that matter, the GW site) and it doesn't seem to have an edition on the codex description or cover. I'm guessing that what is depicted on the GW site represents the "most current" version, but still a little clueless as to how to tell exactly which edition they are.

I'd like to start putting together some 5th edition codexes, to go with the assault on black reach set I plan on grabbing, but don't want to have to re-buy them if there is another edition coming out soon.

Advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.