Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb

Had my first FTF session (firefight 1) yesterday with my german version of CoH, and had a blast. However, there was a situation that caused a little argument:

I entered my active unit into the enemy hex to prepare for a CC against a MMG unit which was facing away from my unit, and the MMG reacted by moving out of the hex. Since I saw that a persecution would end in wasting lots of APs, I decided to make a close range attack (FP +3) instead. When I calculated the DV of the MMG target, my opponent denied my -1 uncautious move DM from his flank defense value, referring to this passus in the rules 5.01:

"This penalty is applied only to an immediate reaction fire."

As for his understanding, earlier in the rules it is said that the non-active player is always reacting when he chooses to make an action (eg. 2.2: "After each action the active player takes, his opponent may react by choosing any of his units to take a command action, etc..."), so only the "inactive" player is able to profit from this DRM since he is the one who reacts while the active player acts.

My understanding was that "immediate reaction" just means that if you want to use the advantage of units not moving cautiously, your immediate next action after the movement of the target unit must be attacking it, regardless wether you are the active or passive player. Any other action or move will make later attacks lose the -1 DV DRM.

Today, after checking the English updated Rules from January, CSW and this forum, I found nothing until I noticed this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/343544where Uwe confirmed last November that my point of view is correct, and promising to scratch the term "reacting player" from the rulebook replacing it by "inactive" or "passive" player to avoid misinterpretation. This has not been done, so I would like to remind him that possibly he missed to do this correction yet. Would be great if this could be worked into the online rules.

Apart from that little glitch, we had a great time with only very little need to discuss rule stuff on the battlefield, so congrats for the great job and thanks for this masterpiece of a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haag
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Does it matter how the MMG moved away? For example, if the MMG used an opportunity action and is marked used, I would have considered the move cautious. If the MMG used 2 CAPs I would have considered the move as not cautious, but if the MMG used 3 CAPs I would have considered the move cautious. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By "reaction", it just means that the very next action was a firing action by the opponent, so yes, your opponent should have received the -1 modifier.

In general, it should probably always be declared whether movement is cautious, but I think if you're both in agreement that a command action or opportunity action is always a cautious action (because it costs the same so there's no point -not- to do one), then that makes perfect sense. And yes, if your opponent says, "I'm using 3 CAPs to move this MMG unit", I would also assume he's moving it cautiously. It's always best to be clear though, and I often ask (especially against newer players), "Was that a cautious or normal movement?" if I'm anywhere near his unit, regardless of whether I plan on firing at that unit or not - I prefer it to be a decision made by my opponent, not something that they just forgot to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hayes
United States
Savoy
Illinois
flag msg tools
We play the same way. Any time a unit is moving, anywhere on the board, we always ask if the movement is normal or cautious. That's important info to have if you decide to react.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.