United States
Ontario
Oregon
flag msg tools
bah bah bah bah....woof
badge
My...what big teeth you have
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait any longer for FFG to redo this game. I want it (never been one for patience). Anyway, I already have the board complete, but what I'm looking for are some nice pieces to use as soldiers, tools, Blimps (was thinking more along airships), riverboats (or ships), temples, cities, universities, horses, brotherhood dudes and sisterhood dudettes. Good gaming bitz. Think I'll just use euro blocks for the resources, they are easy enough to get.

So, what I'm looking for are recommendations on darn good pieces to use for this game. Now I understand that you could use different themes for this game. You could make it somewhat medieval, or napoleanic, or even Jules Vern-ish. Doesn't really matter to me that much as long as all the pieces match well.

With that...any recommendations out there for shiny, nifty bitz to use for this game?

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Moderne Zeiten has cool blimp pieces.

Also raiding a copy of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame could get you a lot of good pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyjil wrote:
but what I'm looking for are some nice pieces to use as soldiers, tools, Blimps (was thinking more along airships), riverboats (or ships), temples, cities, universities, horses, brotherhood dudes and sisterhood dudettes.

We've tried this with soldiers from Risk: Godstorm, and various components from Eagle Games for most of the others:

* City and fortification pieces from Conquest of the Empire for the cities

* Military units from Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame for the weapons (catapults), riverboats (galleys), and ships. For the boats, we placed the miniature on a labeled cardboard rectangle, and each had a corresponding index card in view with the boat's contents on it.

* We used Godstorm temples for the universities, and gods for the temples.

* Horses were easy, but we didn't try to match the scale of the soldiers.

* For priests and priestesses, we tried using 1:72 plastic figures from a set on everyday life in ancient Rome. But they needed more work to keep them standing up. If I were doing this again, I might try missionaries from Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

* We don't usually use blimps, though I'd like to try them again with a combat value of 1. Anyway, I have no suggestion on miniatures.

This was a fun experiment, and I hope we'll try it again. But it definitely slows the game for new players not having the combat values marked on the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Nutt
United States
Ontario
Oregon
flag msg tools
bah bah bah bah....woof
badge
My...what big teeth you have
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good recommendations. Thought of Civ: The Boardgame. It houses some of what I'd like to use. Those blimps look pretty cool. Took a look at Mighty Empires, it has some cool pieces, but I'm unsure if it has enough of them. Risk is a good idea. Risk Godstorm might do it. I'll have to take a look at picking up that game for cannabalization purposes (did the same with Risk 2010. Cool minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.