Subject: [-]Snow[/-] Cold Day? The woods are lovely dark and deep. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sarasio Meyer
United States
Forest City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No Really. Do. or Do not. There is no Try.
badge
Nothing here there is. Look elsewhere you must.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the actual temperature at -23 degrees fahrenheit and a wind chill of negative 45 degrees it was more of a cold day than a snow day. With all schools closed from Rochester, MN to south of Des Moines, IA we decided to play some games, watch a movie, and try to stay warm. Olivia's choice: Villa Paletti, Madeline's choice: Enchanted Forest, Shandra's choice: Metro, and I chose: Clue: Harry Potter Edition.

Started with Enchanted Forest. My strategy for this game is to try to find out the information from as amny trees as I can before trying to get the cards, unless I am close or roll doubles to move me directly there. However, my oldest daughter, Madeline, has a very different strategy. She likes to look at a few trees on teh way to the castle, and then make a few educated guesses based on who is moving toward the castle and what trees they have looked at. Shan and Olivia have kind of mixed strategies. Usually Madeline makes an early guess or two and might end up with one card by the end of the game.

The game starts out as usual. I get some good rolls and search a couple trees early. Olivia rolls doubles and checks into trees close to the castle. Madeline and Shan look at a couple trees too. The first card up is under a tree only I have seen, and on my fourth turn I roll doubles, move to the castle and collect the first card.

The second card is turned, and Olivia starts to move toward the castle, which Madeline notices, and by rolling doubles moves to the castle to make a guess. She is wrong, but it gives us all a tree. Madeline is moved back to start and on Olivia's next turn she gets the second card.

The next two cards Shandra gets rather quickly, and the sixth card Madeline knows and gets with a double roll.

So, at this point in the game the score is:
Shandra 2 of the 3 needed cards
Olivia, Madeline, and I each have 1.

But here is the kicker. At this point I know what is under all of the remaining trees. I make my move towards the castle to get the remaining cards I need. Olivia gets doubles and moves to the castle to show the tree, but she remembered incorrectly so is sent back to start. Madeline rolls doubles as well, jumps to the castle and makes a guess, but luck is on her side, she is correct, getting her her second card.

At this point I am near the castle, but an exact roll is required, so I am fuddling about near the castle. Meanwhile, Shan is searching trees, and Olivia is moving back into the forest. MAdeline rolls doubles again, moves to the castle, but this time she knows the tree, and gets her third card.

Final score of the game:
Madeline: 3 trees
Shan: 2 trees cool
Olivia and I each with 1 tree

What I learned: Although knowledge is power, having all the information can still lose to luck of the dice. While I had everything I needed to win, not being able to get to the castle lost the game to Madeline's guessing and lucky double rolls. shake

Thanks for reading. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.