Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Fuller
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those questions that you believe you know the answer to, but you just want to hear opinions of other players to make it certain.

Q: When playing with a Variable Set-Up, when you randomize the water hexes, can harbours be adjacent to one another?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoC Rulebook, 3rd edition, page 12, Set-up, Variable wrote:
4. See Illustration M. Now take the 9 sea pieces and place them in every other coastal space around the outside of the island.

5. Then, place the harbor hexes in the open coastal spaces between the sea hexes. Each harbor hex should face the island so that the 2 harbor corners align with the longest row of adjoining terrain hexes

Sorry I don't have the illustration to post, or the page number for 4th edition...

So no, you cannot have adjacent harbors. This is similar to the rule that allows you to completely randomize the numbers - there is a caveat that no two red numbers may be placed adjacent to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No adjacent harbors. Just randomize the harbor tiles, then alternately place harbor/water/harbor, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Birch
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more additional thing about setting up harbors. when doing a basic hex set up, not sea farers, they are supposed to aim in the directon of more land tiles. I'm not sure if this is a relevant consideration with 4th edition but with 3rd edition it is one thing to keep in mind.

I'd have to go back to the rule book and see where its stated, or if it is just something gleaned from the illustrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to remember the harbour placement for the basic game is this:

Choose three points furthest from each other on the outer-most edge of the island and place harbours there. These will all be positions where only one terrain hex is touched by any harbour. If you drew an imaginary line between them all, you'd have a triangle.

The rest of the harbours are placed in a sea hex-harbour hex pattern. Face the two harbours on each of the imaginary lines so that they face the line.

You may want to look at the diagram to really "get it" but once you do, look for that pattern. Once you see what I mean, you shouldn't need the diagram any longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I randomize the harbors... specifically WHAT harbors will go on which slot (e.g. wheat, 3:1, 3:1 vs brick, 3:1, wood). What isN'T random are which way the harbors will face and where they'll go. For the latter, it's always alternating between water tile and harbor.

Note that the harbors on the right side are supposed to be facing one notch outwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

Note that each coastal hex has exactly two spots available for building a settlement that is on a harbor.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Note that the harbors on the right side are supposed to be facing one notch outwards.

Whoa, what? Are you saying that the harbors are supposed to be set up that way? In which case, I disagree -- the two on the right should be rotated. If you're saying that they should be rotated, I don't understand the "outwards" part of your statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Whoa, what? Are you saying that the harbors are supposed to be set up that way? In which case, I disagree -- the two on the right should be rotated. If you're saying that they should be rotated, I don't understand the "outwards" part of your statement.
The 2 ports on the right side of the photo are facing the wrong direction. To correct it, rotate the sheep port 60 degrees counterclockwise while rotating the 3:1 port just above that 60 degrees clockwise. THAT's what's supposed to be the spots and orientation of the ports. In that photo, I didn't realize that until after I submitted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
The 2 ports on the right side of the photo are facing the wrong direction. To correct it, rotate the sheep port 60 degrees counterclockwise while rotating the 3:1 port just above that 60 degrees clockwise. THAT's what's supposed to be the spots and orientation of the ports. In that photo, I didn't realize that until after I submitted it.

I understand there is some variation between editions in this area. The 3rd edition from Mayfair agrees with you, but at least one other edition just says that ports should be facing the land, and don't specify which land hex when there is a choice.

I don't have the 4th edition rules available to check, so I can't be sure how 4th edition handles this.

So, yes, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I understand there is some variation between editions in this area. The 3rd edition from Mayfair agrees with you, but at least one other edition just says that ports should be facing the land, and don't specify which land hex when there is a choice.

I don't have the 4th edition rules available to check, so I can't be sure how 4th edition handles this.

So, yes, but...
I'm assuming the setup in the photo that Octavian posted is correct. In that case, both 3rd edition (my setup from from 3rd edition rulebook) and 4th edition (Octavian's photo does show 4th editoin Mayfair components) are identical. Only difference is they're mirror immages of each other and the components are different due to different editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
I'm assuming the setup in the photo that Octavian posted is correct. In that case, both 3rd edition (my setup from from 3rd edition rulebook) and 4th edition (Octavian's photo does show 4th editoin Mayfair components) are identical. Only difference is they're mirror immages of each other and the components are different due to different editions.

Ah, that's the Mayfair 4th edition, then? In that case, the 4th edition enforces the facing of the ports through the components, and doesn't need to write it into the rules. You can't make the ports face the wrong way even if you try.

But I believe there is still at least one version out there that doesn't enforce port facing quite so strictly - perhaps a German (Kosmos?) edition. Quite possibly not the latest Kosmos edition, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While in theory, you randomize - and maybe by the rules as well - my group places harbors deliberately - immediately after terrain placement and before number placement - to make sure the harbors are as far from their resource as possible. If we must place a harbor next to a resource that fits the harbor - we use the one with the worst odds (for example, if we must place a Woods Harbor next to a woods tile - the tile would normally have a 2 or 3 or 12 or 11 on it). Might as well make it a "leetle" tougher!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.