Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy Erik and I have been playing Magic together about as long as we can remember. Its a game that is literally part of our lives. While we used to play much more competitively we now play only casually. Most of our time is spent with preconstructed decks these days, but Erik decided to modify one that he didn't particularly like. The deck was a Kithkin deck from the Lorwyn set. He made quite a lot of changes to the deck and was eager to give it a try. I pulled out one of my favorite precons, Izzet Gizmometry, and sat down to test it out.

In our first game, Erik rushed me quickly and I just couldn't really get setup. By the time I was ready to counter his spells, he had 3 creatures on the board. I managed to slow him down, but I just couldn't quite turn the tide.

Game 2 was pathetic. I had one land and decided to keep it. 5 turns later that game was over.

Game 3 however was quite epic. Erik started out quickly, dropping a Goldmeadow Stalwart and following that up with 2 Ballynock Bannerettes. He was pummelling me hard despite my best efforts to slow him down with Repeals and some counters. I was digging for some burn to kill his creatures. With my life dipping down low, I took a chance and cast Train of Thought, replicating 2 times to draw 3 cards. I drew the card I was looking for. Rain of Embers.

When I cast Rain of Embers I was at 5. I willingly took that loss of 1 more life for 4 of Erik's creatures. He had out a Knight of Meadowgrain as well and since it only had one damage, I decided to hit it with an Electrolyzse and fire the other damage at him. Erik played a Dawn Charm to counter the spell since it was targeting him as well. I was in a tight spot. He attacked me and brought my life to 2. However, on my next turn, I drew a Thunderheads and was able to surprise block 2 of his creatures, killing them and returning him to zero creatures.

For the next couple turns, I countered his creatures and just drew cards. I had a Nimix, Aerie of the Firemind in play and was able to speed through my deck. At one point, I used Train of Thought for 6 cards which netted me a lot of good cards. Eventually, I was able to get an Izzet Chronarch on the board along with a Gelectrode. Geo was promptly hit with a Prison Term, but Izzet was able to chip away at Erik. Unfortunately for me, Erik gained a bunch of life in the early game and when I started my comeback, he was up 29-2.

I kept chipping away and dropping cards which Erik promptly dealt with. Eventually, he played an Amrou Seekers which is a 2/2 that is blockable only by white or artifact creatures. I had Erik down to about 12 at this point, but I had to kill that creature. I was forced to use my Pyromantics and replicated it 7 times, hitting him for 5 and killing his creature. However, much to my surprise he played the Dawn Charm and regenerated his creature. On his next turn, he swung in for the win.

This was a great game that I almost managed to pull out. I had control, but Erik played very well to keep his Seeker alive. It was disappointing to lose after fighting so far back, but it was a great game. Unfortunately, most games of Magic are nowhere near as interesting as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrmmm.. nice report, but I was expecting Amarou Kithkin (from waaaaay back) to be the card. Just goes to show I've been out of the game too long.

Your session brought back an old memory of my college days in the mid 90s. I knew this Magic player who was obsessed with the Amarou Kithkin card - and I mean obsessed! No particular reason, he just would go around with this binder he always had with him that had dozens of copies of the card (I think he had one in every language in print at the time). His nickname, you guessed it... was Amarou. (/flashback off)

Anyway, glad to hear you still enjoy the game. My favorite memories were of the massive 5-6-7-8 player free-for-alls with all kinds of crazy decks. Now I'm looking forward to moving back to Texas so my old buddy and I can start playing again.

Thanks for the memories!

Cheers,

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alma Jensen
China
Beijing
flag msg tools
mb
When I saw the title I thought of the Amarou Kithkin as well. But I did know about the later Kithkin that had come into being.

I Miss my old days of playing Magic the Gathering as well. I never really did like cuthroat play which is what most players seem to like now days. Back in my highschool days I'd get a nice 5 player game going with us only messing with each other every now and then. Everyone building up their power until Armagedon was unleashed. Those were some epic fun battles.

I left the game for a couple of years, and then went to a game shop one day just wanting to try some good old classic play only to go up against some kill you on turn 3 decks.

That ended my interest in playing Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Kithkin received quite the boost in Lorwyn. If you continue to have problems, cards like Pyroclasm will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost604 wrote:
My favorite memories were of the massive 5-6-7-8 player free-for-alls with all kinds of crazy decks.

Those were the days.

In an 8 player game, one guy played Eureka. We're all happily plopping down gigantic permanents... Akron Legionnaires, Clockwork Beasts...

Nobody noticed that one guy put down a Nevinyrral's Disk.

BOOM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with precons and crap cards, so no Pyroclasms here. But that is a rediculously powerful card against weenie decks.

Alma's experience with a 3rd turn kill deck is exactly why I don't play in any sort of place where competition is the premium. I play with a few of my buddies and we just have fun. Its amazing how much more enjoyable the game can be when there is no stress or pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost604 wrote:
Hrmmm.. nice report, but I was expecting Amarou Kithkin (from waaaaay back) to be the card. Just goes to show I've been out of the game too long.

Same here. I saw the title and thought "What? Amrou Kithkin? The stupid 1/1 white creature from Legends?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad we live so far apart, my buddy and I really don't have anyone to play with back in Texas anymore. The old MTG group drifted apart a couple of years back.

When I move back to Texas this summer I am going to try my hardest to make BGG Con this year. If you come down, we'll have to break out the MTG some.

Cheers,

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost604 wrote:
Too bad we live so far apart, my buddy and I really don't have anyone to play with back in Texas anymore.

Where in Texas, exactly?

ninja ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dallas, specifically the Frisco area on the north side.

But I do get down to San Antonio a couple times a year to visit my mom...

ninjaninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.