Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Sandersfeld
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
First of all, I'd like to say hi to everyone as a first time poster. I realize that invoking LCR in my very first post is tantamount to walking into a formal dinner and farting very loudly. Still, I wish for you to hear me out, because I have a suggestion for making this much maligned "game" better. Perhaps to even Yahtzee level (but I'm not holding my breath).

As the title suggests, there are three rule changes that add at least a little bit of decision-making into this mindless activity. You could incorporate any of the three separately, but I recommend using all three at once.

RULE #1: This rule only applies if you are playing with money or something similar at stake, since it's useless in a "just-for-fun" game.

Each player chooses how many chips to start with, each chip representing a certain amount of money. For example, if each chip was worth one dollar, one player may bet ten dollars for ten chips, another could bet fifteen dollars for fifteen chips, etc. Naturally, since you lose chips in 87.5% of all rolls, you stand a better chance of losing all of your chips earlier if you bet low. Of course, if you bet high and lose, you lose more money.

There may not be enough chips in the tube for everyone's bets. That's okay, since those chips suck anyway. Just replace them with real poker chips or pennies or something that you have plenty of.

RULE #2: Someone posted a similar idea to this rule, but I'm still using it.

You know that useless pot where the chips go whenever you roll a C? This rule gives each player a 1 in 8 chance of getting all of those chips, greatly increasing the chance to win. Simply enough, if you roll three dots on your roll, you will win all of the chips in the center pot. Woo hoo!

I know this isn't really a decision-based rule, since it still relies solely on chance. However, it will take on some new depth in the third and final rule of mine.

RULE #3: I call this the "give to take" rule, or possibly the "reversal of polarity."

At the start of your turn, before you roll the dice, you have the option of paying three chips to the center pot in order to reverse the flow of the LCR effects. Once you give the three chips, you can now TAKE a chip from the left, the right, or the center pot whenever you roll an L, C, or R. By changing the rule from "give" to "take" for this one turn, you can hurt your opponents instead of helping them.

I hope you're thinking that this rule by itself is broken. Mathematically speaking, it's always advantageous to use this rule instead of normal play. Since you pay three chips at the start and can take up to three chips back, there's no change in how many chips you can possibly lose each turn. And since you take your opponents' chips instead of giving them yours, you are basically screwing them over at no risk to yourself. Why not always play this rule on every turn?

This is where Rule #2 becomes more significant. As stated above, a roll of three dice means you take everything in the center pot. However, the "give to take" rule not only reverses the flow of the LCR effects, but also the three-dot jackpot rule. If you roll three dots while in "give to take" mode, you must give ALL of your remaining chips to the center pot, effectively ending your game.

This adds just a smidge of strategy to the game. Do you try to hamper your opponents' chances while risking it all, or do you play it safe and possibly get rewarded big time for it?

Alternatively, if you don't wish to play Rule #2 but still want to implement the "give to take" rule, increase the number of chips you must pay to the center. If you pay four chips, you are guaranteed to lose at least one chip after your roll, and you could lose all four if you roll all dots. It's even riskier if you make it five or even six chips.

If you ever find yourself forced to play this game with your friends or family, try to get these rules added. They may not make LCR as brain-busting as chess or anything, but at least it will turn a game as deep as a puddle into a wading pool.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG community would be grateful if you would also write an article on "How to Make Bacon Healthier."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
The BGG community would be grateful if you would also write an article on "How to Make Bacon Healthier."

Could you throw in some cheese, too?

Interesting article, by the way. Not sure I've ever told this to anyone, but on a shelf in my games closet, there sits.....(No, not a pile of bacon & cheese!)...LCR!

There, I said it, and I must say, I feel better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Sandersfeld
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

What am I, a deity? No one can, or should, make a healthy bacon. Or cheese, for that matter. Some things in life are made to make it short and sweet (and salty and savory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tejayes wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

What am I, a deity? No one can, or should, make a healthy bacon. Or cheese, for that matter. Some things in life are made to make it short and sweet (and salty and savory).

My father has the best outlook on this...if it tastes good, spit it out. Too bad he seems to be more correct than not....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soy cheese and toffu bacon !

Nice ideas, I will buy this game just to try out your rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.