Subject: kingstopping? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Miłuński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks great and I'm interested in but I have one doubt. Each player can affect each other with planting trees so it is theoretically possible for one player to be stopped by other three players when he is about to win. Does it aply here? That kind of mechanism is breaking the game. I really don't like it. It is present for example in Drakon. Player X is going to win so everybody stops him, then player Y is going to win so everybody stops him... etc.

What about that kind of kingstopping in Timber Tom? Is it possible here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
The other players can certainly "gang up" on the perceived leader (and usually do), but there is this rule:

Quote:
TREES ARE A SLOWING MECHANISM:
As mentioned, tree-planting is a strategic method for SLOWING DOWN your opponents. It is NOT a GAME-STOPPING device. If ever you form a closed ‘ring’ of trees around another player, the blocked player will have the right to REMOVE and REPLANT any 3 trees from the board before their next move.

So it may be hard to completely stop the leader with just trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Miłuński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice that one. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experiences, the games are always so close for at least two players, that there is an attempt to slow both down. With the ability to simply go around, an ample stash of axes, and barrels for extra steps, the ability to slow someone down is limited.

You cannot block helipads, for example, and there are 2 helipads within 2 turns of the base camp. Regardless of how much is thrown at them near the end of the game, a hiker with only a few supplies will make that last portion of the trip in 2 turns. Note that the helipad is in a flood zone and requires the pick of a card, which may impact their move, and a dice roll. It should be very easy to get to a green area, where their next move will be a full 6. From that point, they should be able to dodge many of the trees and cut down any with remaining axes to get into the base camp.

Anyone left on the snow-capped areas will likely use their OPTION of picking up a card, which may also impact players in the flood zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Filippos wrote:
I didn't notice that one. Thanks

The rules are constantly being refined (a great thing in my opinion), so I don't remember if this was in the original rulebook or not, but it is in the latest version on the game's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely the ability for players to gang up on the leader. However in this case, I would definitely view it as a feature and not a bug. It is possible for a player to get through the roadblocks in the way through proper management of resources.

So, only those leaders who have gotten to the front of the pack through inefficient means are going to get fatally shut down. This is different than some of the other "gang up on the leader" games and is a positive aspect, not allowing a runaway leader, but rather rewarding someone who pulls off the right combination of resource management and timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.