Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming colleague (Will) joined my wife and I at our place this evening explicitly for a game of Traders. He'd been asking for a replay for many weeks, but it's hard to fit in "after work at the office"... especially when there's usually one or two newbie gamers along to those.

The Strategies

In the early turns it became clear we had different strategical approaches. Will was attempting a repeat of an earlier victory based on claiming almost all the Privilege cards. I pointed this out to my wife and suggested we make sure that in deals we consider them valued at 50 ductas each (for Will) from the outset. (Usually you're inclined to ramp up the value of a Privilege card only as someone collects more.)

Carrie (my wife) was stockpiling wares and getting orders and building ownership chits. She often goes for the building chits, but it's a really hard strategy to pull off. What happens is that people tend to factor in the "ten from the bank" into any deals that they're making on your building, and indeed may avoid a deal because it gives you cash. So really the ownership chits only pay when you are neither the main player nor the deal maker. Probably works better for games with more players.

I was taking message delivery requests. I dropped an early building ownership chit onto the Post Office which proved to be worth four bonus messages (three or all delivered) and a few rentals during the game. And otherwise whenever possible in the early game I'd go for the Post Office, or make a "one each" deal for the Post Office on other people's turns. As such, during the game we got right through the Message deck and halfway through again.

The Game. The Deals.

The wheeling and dealing had its hiccups but mostly went well. Bad deal of the day award went to me... on Will's turn I took a villa building action. I gave Will the Privilege and some cash (!) while he gave me a Message in change AND the deal left him not having used his action for the turn so he stepped next door and got the 1 Further Action token from the Park. I have no idea what I was thinking! That's about 100 ducats worth of stuff for him in exchange for a 30 ducat message for me... and I gave him cash too!?!?! (I blame trying to play with a migraine.) But as soon as the deal was done I was bemusedly staring at the corner of the room, shaking my cocked head and muttering "something just went badly wrong then".

I also took a second eyebrow-raiser deal from Will when he offered me a Small Order along with the Ware to fill it. It turned out to be for the Cathedral... a building I wasn't really interested in, hard to get at, and which had Carrie's ownership chit on it.
angry
(Eventually I did fill the order, but likely I could've done something better with that turn.)

On the flip side, in Will's last turn I gave him five ducats for a useless Warehouse on a long-shot, converted one of the Wares with a 1:1 into a Building Action chit, used the Building Action to activate the Post Office to draw two more messages, and got a Message card that was filled exactly by the position we were now in. Woot!

During the game we rolled a total of three Market starts, each advancing the turn marker for a much shortened game. (Even so my high Message Delivery strategy meant we wrapped around the Message deck and halfway through again.) Will toyed with using his Start Any Space token to end the game on his second last turn, but decided he was better off filling his Large Order. I was thankfull, because as a result I got to fill four more messages and a Large Order myself.

Too late in the game I realised that Will had indeed accumulated enough of the Privilege cards to be unstoppable in them. One of them, either the third last or the second last, is actually worth about 150 ducats (rather than the marginal 50 for its own face value) since it'll link up all the others into a single batch making a bunch of other cards all worth 50. Anyway, we realised too late that we'd let him progress far enough that we couldn't stop him getting at least all but one.

In the last two rounds, most turns were started with Start Any Space. But surprisingly we were all running low on Things Yet To Do and were peering around the board for opportunities to do better than getting a building chit.

In the final turn Carrie misread a card she was getting in a deal from Will and ran up mildly generous deals that basically gave Will and I ducats for what turned out to be no benefit to her. We figured it didn't change who won, but it had us discussing the possibilities for a while afterwards.

Ultimately though, Will won the game partly by outplaying my own core strategy... making generous offers for actions all the way through the game meaning that he was the player who got in on the most deals. He used the deals to convert all kinds of things to Privileges... 1:1 cards, Bonus Actions, straight trades in deals. I was putting in a poor showing in respect of making good offers and had the least total actions out of the three of us.

The Final Score

Will: 980 ducats (600 from Privileges, plus 1 large order and 1 building chit popped out in the last round.)

Joe: 880 (LOTS of Messages, 2 Large Orders, a few Small Orders, three building chits)

Carrie: 650 (3 Large Orders, a few Small Orders and Messages, and six building chits)

The bad deal I accepted from Will was bad enough to have meant the difference in that score.
Migraine... I blame the migraine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rule #1: Have Fun
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report! Nice play. Interesting results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression the decks are once through only - not reshuffled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
I was under the impression the decks are once through only - not reshuffled.
Each of the specific sections under "The game cards" in the rulebook says to place the completed xxx card "face up on the bottom of the xxx stack" and under Large Orders it says:

Note:
When the topmost card of the large order stack is face up, shuffle the cards in the stack and place it face down.
(This same procedure is used for the other three game card stacks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.