United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 29th TGIF Poll
How do you select the start player in your games?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
However the rules tell us to
50.4% 113
Roll some dice
32.1% 72
First person to speak up gets to go first
9.4% 21
The person who owns or chose the game goes first
5.4% 12
We use the Start Player game
7.1% 16
We use Shocking Roulette
2.2% 5
We use a Spin-4-It spinner
11.2% 25
Other
46.4% 104
Voters 224
Which common start player rule do you think is the most overused?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Oldest player goes first
13.2% 28
Youngest player goes first
59.0% 125
Game owner goes first
6.1% 13
High roller goes first
21.7% 46
Voters 212
This poll is now closed.   227 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:00 am

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One method we've used is that the player who won the previous game gets to go first. Otherwise, it's not uncommon to take one bit of each player color and randomly draw one from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless we are teaching a new game, many times we take a marker from each player and draw it from a hat or shake it up in our hands and drop it.

I would like to get Start Player sometime and use that sometimes, but I haven't seen it for sale yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
Unless we are teaching a new game, many times we take a marker from each player and draw it from a hat or shake it up in our hands and drop it.

I would like to get Start Player sometime and use that sometimes, but I haven't seen it for sale yet.

Darn! I knew I was forgetting something. Man, I wish you could edit a poll after it's been saved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we don't use dice or the spinner, we often use the components in the game in some way:

- Select a scoring marker at random.
- Choose randomly from three Coppers and a Curse.

Sometimes, we use the rules in the game, although I really don't like rules that result in the same player going first every time within a given group of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game has an interesting mechanic for who goes first such as Aquarius (Longest Hair) or Ticket to Ride: Europe (person who has visited the most European countries) then we use that.

If we have all played before and it doesn't have an interesting mechanic then we roll dice for it.

If we have new players then we usually start with the player farthest away from the newbie, so that the new player has a chance to see the game in action before they play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If no rule is mentioned, we will either do a draw using the scoring markers (or some other component), flip cards, or role a dice... and an interesting rule I heard recently for the high-roller, is to discount all duplicate rolls... this prevents needless roll-offs

We also occasionally arrange it so that new players go last and see what everyone else does.

I think youngest player goes first is most overused... this is fine when playing with kids, but amongst competent adults is often annoying. I have some friends I game with occasionally, call them 'Chris' and 'Ben', both very good gamers, but often when the rule states youngest goes first, Chris will complain that this always gives Ben the advantage of start player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually ask, "Who wants to go first?" if there's no specified mantion of a first player selection. The people I game with are pretty low key about player order, so it's usually not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
We normally just let the new player go last.

We do this as well. Of course with games like Power Grid & Kingsburg I think we still use random because the turn order will be changed right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
If there's something that can easily be spun I'll use that. If there's a turn order advantage and newbies, I'll give the advantage to the newbies. Mostly tho, I use the remainder game. Per Clearclaw's profile page:

Quote:
Number the players in rotation starting with 0. Have each player stick out some number of fingers on a count of three. Add up the fingers and get the modulo of the total number of fingers by the number of players (remainder after division). The player with that number is the start player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We draw Lotts.

Seriously, we draw lots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much always take a piece from each player and draw for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pistols at ten paces. Sadly, a lot of games wind up being played solitaire. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Ticket to Ride series we have a winner trophy (extra train of your color goes on top), but we also have a loser bubble (same train placement mechanic) and the loser of the last game goes first in the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like when designers get creative on start player, like last person to get a hair cut (Shear Panic), and person who was sick most recently (Pandemic I think?).

Otherwise, random is usually good, like picking player pieces and dropping one.
But for some games it helps to have a more experienced player go first so the others see how the game plays out before their turn. Like Red November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

This would have been my top choice if it was there. I am picking up a copy of Start Player today and plan on using that tonight with my game group, I put that as my answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I like when designers get creative on start player, like last person to get a hair cut (Shear Panic), and person who was sick most recently (Pandemic I think?).
I do like some of the creative ones... Player with the longest beard (Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga I think)... player that most looks like the monster (Fearsome Floors)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game.

If there are dice then we'll roll to see who gets the highest.

If you have different coloured pieces, we'll draw one at random.

If a card game, with different values, we'll cut the deck.

After 29 of these are you still finding it easy to come up with new ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

Yep, me too.

Mostly because I hate the 'oldest player goes first'. I mostly play games with my wife, brother, brother-in-law.... I'm the oldest, so that rule has to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

This is our most used method as well. As many have already pointed out, if you play frequently with the same group of people, then these oldest/youngest/most traveled/etc. rules result in the same person starting all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play Rock-Paper-Scissors to determine the first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use Start Player: A Kinda Collectible Card Game and can't see this changing, which is why I rate it a 10. surprise In fact, for games where there is no start player (Pit, Space Dealer) I miss being able to use Start Player. It's a good ice-breaker when playing with people you don't know very well, and it can produce some surprising results and amusing stories even among people you play with all the time.

'Youngest player first' is the most overused method of picking a start player. The problem is, it's often the same person within a regular group. Kudos to game designers/rules editors who include an original determination method in their game, but it would have to be pretty special to replace Start Player for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used dice (unless a game like Power Grid or Air Baron suggests rational ways to do it).

Rolling dice is probably the most overused, because it's the easiest.

I don't like age or birthday rules - because the same person will usually start every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Rolling dice and taking grains!
badge
Rolling dice and taking grains!
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically use the Patented Shake Method - take a piece from everyone, and shake them up real good in your fists, then let one drop out - that player is the start player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Loser of last game gets to go first.

Winner of last game gets to go first.

New player gets their choice to go first (or last) if they want.

For games with specific player pieces, shuffle player pieces (one of each player's) and pick one.

Check a wristwatch for the current number of seconds and use that as a quick randomizer (e.g. for a 3 player game, 0-19 is me, 20-39 is the player to my left, 40-59 is the player to their left). Scales easily up to 6 players. (Thanks to our pal MST for that idea.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.