Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post any ideas or questions that relate to Map Creation or Scenarios here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I have so far for the terrain tiles. I just based these on the ones that Matthew came up with. Disregard the breaks/lines in the water and such, I just haven't cleaned them up yet.

I think this will work for playtesting so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd make each starter scenario be a mirror image so that the scenario is balanced.

I'd also recommend making some 1 square bridges so they can be placed anywhere along a river (well, not corners) instead of building the bridges into the tiles (except when roads require bridges to cross water).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good idea on the bridges I will be sure to put some in there.

Here is an idea for a playtest scenario. It kinda has everything in it for land units. I think I should move that factory that is right above each HQ and it will be an already captured factory and put it just across the road from the HQ. This is 15x15 so 9 tiles. I am going to try a couple more maps with these same 9 tiles and just make those tiles part of the playtest kit.

I also printed out a sheet of units tonight on cardstock. It works really well having the reduced side right next to the front side as you can just cut them out as one piece and fold over the piece so it is already a d/s chit. Just a dab of glue and it works really well actually

I need to get all of the cards and charts taken care of and get the blue army made and I should have a playtest kit ready. Oh, and I need to write up some rules. I have a buddy that will hopefully help my write up the rules as he is really good at that kind of thing. He has never played AW before so I think that will be good as he can bring up questions as he is formatting the rules if something doesn't make sense to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really promising work! The 5x5 tiles would seem to make map making a bit easier. Having single tile bridges (as mentioned earlier) is quite a handy idea. I would also note that this can be said of other types of terrain as well, The ability to smack down a quick mountain range or forest would be rather welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that one thing that will be important with new scenario creation is if the scenario is pretty basic (read: standard setup with neutral cites fairly close to base) then the scenario might be better off to start with those cities already captured and infantry units placed there. Playing the first few rounds where you are just building a couple infantry units in order to immediately go an caputure those cities is pretty boring. In probably 99% of those situations, both players will have done that their first few turns anyways to gain capital.

not sure if that makes sense or not, but I needed to get it down so I don't forget to work on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how it works in the game So it seems that it would only be natural to do it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some scenarios yes, but there were a lot where you didn't start out with any units as well. At least on battle maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to put something down since i'm pretty interested in the project. I've played one of the DS versions and like it very much. I also play Weewar (www.weewar.com - try it out if you haven't, it's pretty similar to aw).
But you're right on the start of the scenarios, doesn't make sense you have to capture every close city at the beginning if you're doing it anyway every time...

Keep up the good work so far, i'll be following!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys considering any pre-deploy maps without factories? I found that in the video game, maps with factories (particularly balanced, no pre-deploy maps for vs mode) could drag out for a long time before one side could get a large enough lead. I haven't played the scenario yet, but I worry that this game might suffer in a similar way. It seems not having the factories would make the game end a lot sooner and require more careful usage of one's troops. I think a map like that would appeal more to me, especially play-testing the game, since it would make the game simpler, to work out the basic kinks, as well as put a sort of clock on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have some scenarios like that in the works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.