Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always said that one of the advantage of board games compared to video games is that they are replayable. Most video gamers seems to buy, play and then throw away games like if it was food to be consumed.

Still it seems that this kind of behavior has also targeted board gamers who seems to play a game a few times while it's hot and then leave it there and play something else. Of course, sometimes games becomes obsolete and can be easily replaced by new games which does the same job but better.

My question is

Do you prefer having few games that you will play over and over during you life. This has the advantage of completely analyzing the game in every detail which could lead to enjoying the game more. (for example: chess or mah jong club play the same game over and over everytime). It will also lead player to find bug and improvements more easily.

OR

Do you prefer having a lot of games that you will play few times during your lifespan. It has the advantage of giving you a lot of choice and might find more easily the game that fits your playing audience.

As for my personal preference, I try having not too much games. I try having a diversified collection that can fit any taste of my audience and make sure that I don't have more than 2 games that looks alike. I try to get the best in each category.

For example, When I started my collection of game, I played settlers of cattan every week at least 3 times per session. We tried many different setup and home made rules. Now that I have more games, I have not played in a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer hamburgers or ice cream sundaes?

Kind of depends on the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, you'd have many games you've played many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a place for people like that. It's called the fourth circle of hell.

Quote:
Why do you hoard?

Why do you waste?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

I like to learn new games, and try to play something new every month.

But there are some games I always want to come back to, and play over and over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer either. I AM "have many games played few times". I am a varity whore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is strongly skewed by my opponent base.

When I was in high school, I played a lot of Ogre/G.E.V., Great Medieval Battles, and Chess. And a smattering of other games.

When I lived in Victoria, I played a lot of Mahjong and Go. And a smattering of other games.

Here in Vancouver, I play a lot of different games, and many of them only ever get played once.

I'm trying to return to my personal preference of playing a lot of a few games and trying out others as I go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.