Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Mr. Jack» Forums » Rules

Subject: Holmes special movement ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Porres
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules says " sherlock holmes secretly draws the first card from the alibi pile and places it face down in front of him.
1st here's my question, it doesn't say anything about seing the card so does the person playing the holmes characther gets so see the card or no? Meaning putting it down with no body looking at the card. 2nd depending of the player who picks holmes gets the card and sees it or the person playing detective gets it evetytime even if jack picked holmes? thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, he looks at it. No point otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Porres
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yes your right I have a second part to the question ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the person looks at the card. It doesn't matter if Jack is Holmes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The player who picks Holmes gets the alibi.
Jack gains little benefit from drawing alibis since he already knows his identity. The only information he gains from drawing an alibi is the knowledge that the inspector doesn't have that alibi.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Porres
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you guys. I think I got the rules now, I'll be playing with my wife tonight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Jack gains little benefit from drawing alibis since he already knows his identity. The only information he gains from drawing an alibi is the knowledge that the inspector doesn't have that alibi.


Little benefit? Suppose you are Jack and the situation is such that you must choose 1 of 2 characters to get proven innocent this turn. You hold the alibi card for one of them. This is definitely quite useful knowledge.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicho wrote:
The rules says " sherlock holmes secretly draws the first card from the alibi pile and places it face down in front of him.
1st here's my question, it doesn't say anything about seing the card so does the person playing the holmes characther gets so see the card or no? Meaning putting it down with no body looking at the card. 2nd depending of the player who picks holmes gets the card and sees it or the person playing detective gets it evetytime even if jack picked holmes? thank you.

Common sense rules. You're definitely right!

Would you expect a fire alarm button notice to say that you need to leave a danger zone after pressing the button in case of an emergency? Or would you be just standing and pressing it until the end?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Jack gains little benefit from drawing alibis since he already knows his identity.


Little benefit? It's a huge benefit to have an alibi card for a viable character, all you have to do is keep that character along with Jack and you know the detective has a 50% guess at best.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
The player who picks Holmes gets the alibi.
Jack gains little benefit from drawing alibis since he already knows his identity. The only information he gains from drawing an alibi is the knowledge that the inspector doesn't have that alibi.


Yes the knowledge of the specific alibi card that you as Jack hold is minimal, although not insignificant (as pointed out by the other posters). But the real value of Jack using Holmes, is simply denying the Inspector the opportunity to see any alibi cards at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Yes the knowledge of the specific alibi card that you as Jack hold is minimal, although not insignificant (as pointed out by the other posters). But the real value of Jack using Holmes, is simply denying the Inspector the opportunity to see any alibi cards at all.


I strongly disagree. E.g., if there were an option on the first turn for Jack to draw a free alibi card and the detective to draw a free alibi card, I think that would benefit Jack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
Avatar
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
Jack gains little benefit from drawing alibis since he already knows his identity.

Little benefit? It's a huge benefit to have an alibi card for a viable character, all you have to do is keep that character along with Jack and you know the detective has a 50% guess at best.

*Nods.* This situation came up today in a game against my wife. I as Jack masked as Holmes, had reached turn 8 with two other viable suspects: Stealthy, and Smith. There had been a witness at the end of turn 7.

The last four characters to move were Smith, Stealthy, Gull, and Bert. I held Smith's alibi card. Holmes was stuck, and within range of both Gull and Bert. I used my first move to distance Smith away from everyone, although he was not far enough to escape from Stealthy.

Unbeknownst to me, my wife held Stealthy's alibi card. She had a 50/50 chance to guess correctly.

And she did. angry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.