Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be worth it for someone starting out to buy two copies of the core set in order to be able to do some deckbuilding/tweaking to each of the houses, or do the decks play quite well even with only 1 copy of most of the cards?

Edit: Darn, posted it under rules, not General, anyone know how to switch forums?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been playing with one core set and been enjoying it ok. Buy one, try it out and if you think you need another, then get another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It worked well with only one deck. Anyways is not like you really use them that much. BTW, is it worth to buy any of the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played three two-player games and we never burned through either deck fully and also never felt the need to have more duplicate cards than already supplied with each house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards it would be GREAT to have two of. I only have one copy, but I would not be opposed to picking up a second set in the future. Probably not at full price, though. It would be great if FFG would release these decks on their own, without the board/tokens/titles.

It would probably be better to just pick up the slew of Chapter Packs and customize that way. Unless you have the $$ to spend on another Core set, then go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting 2 sets will get you started on the deck building aspect of the LCG - you can start choosing what to include and what to remove, evaluate power level of cards, try out different deck styles. It will improve the decks you make and your general skill level.

Of course one of the best ways is to get a friend to buy a set, and exchange the cards from your favourite houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I currently have three... of course, I play in a competitive, constructed deck environment. I usually pick up two (sometimes three) copies of the chapter packs as well.

Since there is generally only a single copy of each card in the core set, if you want to have two or three copies, you'll need to buy another set, or trade with a friend.

Once you start building multiple decks for each house (or just multiple decks for your favorite house), you will want multiple copies of key cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Riach
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to expand on the OP's question.....I'm looking to introduce my two kids to this game (and card games in general) we have the board games, and the books, so they know the lore..... if the plan is to regularly play, with 2-3 people, would getting two (or three) of everything be required, or would a single core set and one of each card pack still suffice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a boardgamer who just got into this CCG business.

My game plan is this: was tempted to buy a 2nd coreset straightaway, but settled for getting 1 of each CP (ToR series...needed 2 of the A Change of Seasons CP however for the plot) to expand variety. Getting a 2nd coreset would provide deckbuilding possibilities without expanding variety while getting the CPs allowed me to play games where each player "drafts" one or two CP of his/her choice, without worrying about the 2nd coreset pool of cards...the selection will get better as more CPs are added, but I believe it will have diminishing return when considered as a multiplier boardgame instead of a CCG as the card pool grows larger from future CP purchases.

I figure I will then have to make some hard choices down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.