Popular Tags: [View All]
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The American Civil War has never been the most popular of wargame subjects. Certainly World War II is the big thing. And it seems that Napoleon has lots of fans.
But the Civil War has generated it's fair share of games. So what's your favorite?
And for kicks what's your least favorite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People is my favorite Civil War game.
Battle Cry is my least favorite Civil War game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Civil War Still the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
As Billyboy says, VG's Civil War, so far.

WTBS is about to be tried though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently A House Divided, but that is due to the fact that I can't get an ACTS opponent for For the People.

Least favorite would be something I haven't played yet. Battle Cry is fine, I've got a ton of hex and counter versions of Gettysburg I haven't played, even the old American Heritage game isn't totally terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game of the American Civil War is:

Baptism at Bull Run

It has good tension, for both sides of the Bull Run, to the point where you think "the other side" has the advantage...until you end up playing that side...then you realize that both sides are fraught with difficulties.

The game is only available to be played online...and Ladder Round #2 is coming up...(sign-up by Sunday, January 25th).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mysterious Matters of Max Metters / Moonifest Destiny
badge
Island of the Moths
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:

But the Civil War has generated it's fair share of games. So what's your favorite?

Do you mean any game concerning the ACW of any kind of scale? Or a strategic game covering multi-state situation? Are individual battles OK?

I'm still trying out ACW games so my opinion is still developing. So if you don't mind my lack of experience, here are two multi-state strategic/operational scale games that I've played and like, that don't cover the whole war:

I played Across the Potomac last night and enjoyed it a lot (the scale covers from Philly to Norfolk, emphasizing fog of war through a double-blind system). It's not too complicated. The cat-and-mouse sneaking around may make for "where are they?!" gameplay tension that other wargames don't even try to present.

I also enjoyed Bobby Lee at lot. It has a tremendous strategic map of Virginia, and interesting command/logistics system. The map helps me understand how geography pushed events like the collision at Gettysburg.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

"A poor thing, but mine own..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

"A poor thing, but mine own..."

I would like a copy of this Pete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mysterious Matters of Max Metters / Moonifest Destiny
badge
Island of the Moths
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete B.,
Wow, what's that cool-looking game??
Thanks,
Also Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody April: The Battle of Shiloh, 1862 and all the other games from the GBACW series (Pea Ridge: The Gettysburg of the West March 7-8 1862, Drive on Washington: The Battle of Monocacy Junction, July 9, 1864, etc. nice system!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series from Avalon Hill and MMP. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is a tie between Devil's Den and This Hallowed Ground.
My least favorite is Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
The Civil War Still the best.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also vote Victory Games - The Civil War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Well, if want to go beyond Grand Strategy;

GBACW for grand tactical. Pea Ridge: The Gettysburg of the West March 7-8 1862, Cedar Mountain: Prelude to Bull Run, August 9, 1862, Stonewall: The Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862, being some of the better ones, and playable in a few hours.

Glory III is pretty darned good, but MIGHT be a bit dumbed down (especially its combat system) for the grognard.

GCAW by AH - good stuff - hard to find - but a new one is in the works for MMP.

Devil's Den for some grognardly company level actions.

The SDI series of GBACW games; The Guns of Cedar Creek is the only one worth having, IF you can also get the redone counters. Dead of Winter is about to be replaced by GMT.

The Gamers Series - I really don't like the combat system, and no matter what they say, straggling as a combat result is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
a house divided--the civil war---forged in fire---bobby lee----war between the states---across 5 aprils---the bloodiest day:the battle of antietam---gettysburg 1863 by sunset games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Terrible Swift Sword baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a least favorite. I prefer strategic level games, so as others have said, Victory Game's The Civil War is tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a longtime Civil War buff, you'd think I'd have a good answer to this question, but I don't.

I've liked some ACW games better than others, but I've never found one as good as the best WWII games.

Some of the ones I've liked aren't rated very highly by others: e.g., The American Civil War and Bull Run. Even liked Gettysburg (as long as I stuck to the intermediate game; the advance game was impossible).

Some games others like just sat on my shelf: e.g., The Civil War and For the People.

And some supposedly great ones, I've never bought: e.g., Terrible Swift Sword and The Gamers' CW Brigade series. Also A House Divided.

I really liked Rifle & Saber when it was new.

Didn't like the quad games Blue & Gray and Blue & Gray II.

Thought Little Round Top was just so-so, and I never bought Devil's Den.

Had Stonewall Jackson's Way and set it up once, but never could make myself play it for some reason.

I also made numerous false starts into ACW miniatures, and I still have a few sets of miniatures rules (and a few figures I painted in 1973 or so).

I've read many books on the ACW, and I wrote a few long term papers on ACW battles in my college years. But somehow wargames in the period have never grabbed me.

Oh, I didn't mention Battle Cry or Dixie: Bull Run. They suck (the former more so than the latter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear about how great this Great Campaigns of the American Civil War is, but a total lack of interest in reprinting it is not good.

Anyway I do like the Brigade Series, even if it is kind of low on shock combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been a big fan of strategic wargames. Grand Strategic is even better. For this reason my favorite Civil War game is War between the States (first edition). I play the new DG's version of War Between The States (second edition) now. It is a bit more improved than the old SPI copy. I still think this is the best Civil War game on the market.

I think the worst Civil War game I own is The American Civil War. It's so bland and dull I've never even played a full game of it.

Victory Games tried to improve on the design with The Civil War. And for a strategic game that can be played in an afternoon (well, a long afternoon then) this is it. I like this game quite a bit.

I have AH's later Gettysburg. It seems to be trying to be like Terrible Swift Sword which I've played, but never owned. It fails at this attempt. Beautiful map though.

Like many of us old grognards one of my first wargames was Gettysburg. But those squares just don't inspire. Still it was fun in it's time.

I have other civil war games such as Stonewall in the Valley, 1863, The Army of the Heartland: The Army of Tennessee's Campaigns, 1861-1863 and Across 5 Aprils. But I've only really played Across 5 Aprils. It's fun but it's also more of a game that a simulation.
There are also a few more folio type games in my collection that may have gotten some play time in the past, but rarely sees a table anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The American Civil War has never been the most popular of wargame subjects

surprise

There are so many good ones, it's difficult to pick just one. Three Battles Of Manassas, Thunder At The Crossroads, and Roads To Gettysburg are all superb. I have a soft spot for AH's Bull Run and Devil's Den, and Gettysburg '88 isn't bad either.

Least favourite - probably Gettysburg '77, the advanced game - just too damned complex, and the scale was all wrong on the (admittedly beautiful) map. The intermediate game wasn't bad, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:
The American Civil War has never been the most popular of wargame subjects.

It certainly has!

MMP/The Gamers keep churning them out, and they're all great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
xlhrider wrote:
The American Civil War has never been the most popular of wargame subjects.

It certainly has!

MMP/The Gamers keep churning them out, and they're all great games.

Funny--when I was first thinking of getting into miniatures (in 1973), it seemed everybody else was into Napoleonics or WWII. Motivated by vanity, I guess, I decided I wanted to get into a unique period. At first I chose the ACW, and for a while it really did feel like I had the period all to myself (despite having seen an ACW miniatures game in progress at a convention the previous year).

But in time, I realized the ACW is hugely popular! The world is full of Civil War buffs. There's more literature on that war than anyone can ever hope to read, and there's no shortage of wargames either.

It got to where I was grumbling about having strayed into another popular era. Next time I made an abortive foray into miniatures, I chose the Revolutionary War (AWI). But that backfired on me too: it was 1976, and that year everybody was into the "bicentennial" thing; you couldn't go anywhere without hearing something about the AWI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.