Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fun [+] [View All]
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like to laugh. It's one of my favorite things to do. I like hearty chortles, raucous roars, and malicious giggles. And that's why I like Sorry Sliders, because after playing it for an hour, my stomach hurts from laughing, and since I smoke too many cigars, I also cough up half a lung (that part is not as awesome).

Sorry Sliders is a brilliant game. It's simple, and you can play it with anyone old enough to know not to put the pieces in his mouth (or that weird cousin who still puts stuff in his mouth, so don't play with him, either). It seems like it would be too simple, until you start playing and realize that it's actually more fun than the grown-up version, which is played extensively by old people on cruise ships.

The board can be configured in lots of different ways, but the overall idea remains the same - slide your pawns down a ramp and onto the scoring pad, trying to land close to the center spot for more points. You're also trying to knock your opponents' pawns into low-score zones, or better yet, off the board completely. Score enough points, and you can move your score pawns (which are not the same as the sliding pawns) and try to get them Home. Once they're home, they're safe, but if one of your sliding pawns goes off the board (or if your hand goes over the foul line), the unprotected scoring pawns can go back to the starting line.

That's it. One paragraph, and you understand the game. I'm not even kidding - those are all the rules. So why on Earth does this game make me laugh until I pee? Is it even possible for a grown man to enjoy a game so obviously made from children?

Hell yes it's possible. It's hard not to enjoy this game. And riddle me this - if this is such a kid's game, how come there's a variation of it in bars all over the world? That's right, because it's damned fun.

But just being fun isn't enough to make me bust a gut until my eyes water. Otherwise, I would laugh myself retarded every time I played Rock Band. No, the reason this game is so downright hilarious is because it's so incredibly easy to screw up.

Take my son, for instance. We're playing a variant (there are four in the box) where if you drop your pawn into the center hole, it's as bad as falling off the board. This isn't easy to do, mind you - the hole is only slightly larger than the actual pawn, and lots of times they just end up perched on the edge. And yet, eight times in a row - eight times - he put his pawn in the hole. I was laughing so hard I almost fell over.

Or when my daughter is about to win the game - she's got three score pawns Home and the last one perched within scoring distance of the winning circle. She needs just one point to win, and all her sliders are out, and she's got that point. The only way she won't win is if I can knock one of her sliders off the board, sending that last scoring pawn back to Start. So I line up the shot, toss my slider - and my guy bounces off one of hers and sails clean off the board. This is hilariously awesome (irony kicks ass), and I start laughing, and then I notice that the pawn I hit ricocheted off another pawn and knocked one of hers out, too. And now I'm shrieking with laughter. I think I peed a little.

The whole game is like this. Unless you're playing with really boring people, Sorry Sliders is light-hearted, vindictive hilarity. You'll chuckle when you manage to bump someone out of the lead position. You'll giggle when an opponent pushes your pawn into a high scoring spot. You'll chortle with glee when an opponent manages to knock every single pawn off the board at the same time, and you'll fall out, holding your stomach and gasping for air when someone at the table manages to blow a commanding lead with a horribly clumsy move.

You can finish a whole game of Sorry Sliders in anywhere from five to twenty minutes, depending on the variant you're playing. You can set it up in a few minutes, play in less than half an hour, and clean it up and put it away in less time than it takes my son to announce his urgently full bladder when there's work to do.

If you have kids, you should get Sorry Sliders. If you don't have kids, and just have friends, you should get Sorry Sliders. If you don't have anyone else to play with, and spend every day in miserable solitude, you should get Sorry Sliders (there's a one-player set-up in the rules). Basically, if you like games at all - and I don't mean just hobby games, but any kind of board or card game - you should get Sorry Sliders. No, wait, I'll extend that just a little. If you have a heart beat, you should get Sorry Sliders.

Summary

Pros:
Incredibly simple
Easy enough that kids can play, but engaging for adults
Brilliant, hilarious fun

Cons:
You might laugh until you poop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clear you love to laugh. You've sold me on this one, which wasn't even on my radar before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
khader abdel-Hafez
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto,

I was not convinced about this one until I saw your review. Now I feel this would be perfect for a family get together next month.

Arrgh, and I'm not even supposed to be spending more money on games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
Is it even possible for a grown man to enjoy a game so obviously made from children?

Made from children?!
I shudder to think.

;-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:

Cons:
You might laugh until you poop

That comment alone made me laugh until I pooped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
renegaderebel wrote:
VixenTorGames wrote:
Is it even possible for a grown man to enjoy a game so obviously made from children?

Made from children?!
I shudder to think.

;-p

"Sorry! Sliders is made out of people!! It's MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE this game! The local Wal-Mart finally got re-stocked, so I picked up two more copies today. One is for my friend's nephew...she couldn't find a copy for him at Christmas time. The other is for our recently-formed game club that's meeting at an area FLGS.

We played MY copy at Thanksgiving with my wife and two adult sons and had a BLAST! Great stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
khader abdel-Hafez
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skwib wrote:
renegaderebel wrote:
VixenTorGames wrote:

Made from children?!
I shudder to think.

;-p

It's a cookbook! It's a COOKBOOK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lareau
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skwib wrote:
renegaderebel wrote:
VixenTorGames wrote:

Made from children?!
I shudder to think.

;-p

Do you play Sorry Sliders while snacking on some Soylant Green?
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this one in my sights since I saw it played at my old games group. It is indeed not a game that I would have thought about at all otherwise. I can only concur: it is fantastically good fun. Whenever this game is played, it always draws an audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm sold. Must buy this game. NOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I LOVE this game! The local Wal-Mart finally got re-stocked, so I picked up two more copies today. One is for my friend's nephew...she couldn't find a copy for him at Christmas time. The other is for our recently-formed game club that's meeting at an area FLGS.

We played MY copy at Thanksgiving with my wife and two adult sons and had a BLAST! Great stuff!

So don't bring that one next Sunday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this game is THAT funny, but it is very fun and worth some laughs. I'm tempted to get a second copy just so more people can play with 2 boards! It's a fun game for the family, and even my 4 year old loves it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Just gpt the game this weekend and played a lot with my kids, my friend and his kids. A lot of fun.

My 6-year old son said:

"Once you start playing this game, you can never stop. Because, this is the best game ever."

Pretty much summarizes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I don't know if this game is THAT funny, but it is very fun and worth some laughs. I'm tempted to get a second copy just so more people can play with 2 boards! It's a fun game for the family, and even my 4 year old loves it!

I thought about that, too! Mostly becuase I was toying with making a single 3-story ramp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Van Vorst
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review! You've definitely sold me on it. Even if it is made from children...how many carbs are we talking about here, anyways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StealthDonut wrote:
Excellent review! You've definitely sold me on it. Even if it is made from children...how many carbs are we talking about here, anyways?

I would guess about 10,000. But that entirely depends on if they ate cereal for breakfast, had lunch or dinner, and if they had any bathroom breaks in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodard
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent post. You have sold me on this. Now if only the local WalMart or Target would restock, I could try this with my kids. I have 10 by the way.:zombie Can you have a 10 player match I wonder.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't peed myself yet, at least not because of this game, I agree that it is a little gem. Quick to set up, intuitive teach-it-in-20-seconds rules, fun to play, quick to play, plenty of variations, and easy to put back in the box.

It's great to have a four player game that can be played, literally from off the shelf to back on the shelf, in about 10 minutes.

And all for about $15 at most stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

Not a game I'd ever play, but you made me smile. Good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.