Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to AP Toy maker Mattel Inc. said Friday it bought Sekkoia SAS, which makes board game Blokus, for undisclosed financial terms.
In a separate transaction, Mattel also acquired the rights to the Whac-A-Mole game from Bob’s Space Racers Inc.
Financial terms of that transaction were not disclosed as well.
Mattel’s purchase of Sekkoia includes Blokus Trigon, Blokus 3D, Blokus Duo, and Blokus Giant.

I wonder if Mattel is going to make a run at challenging Hasbro's dominance in the boardgame sector.

From my blog at http://pawnderings.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Along with their purchase of Apples to Apples, it looks like they're at least trying to improve their game selection a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
The Shattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Expect price and customer service to both drop...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does this mean we're going to see Barbie Blokus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
Does this mean we're going to see Barbie Blokus?

I'm holding out for Hot Wheels Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Expect price and customer service to both drop...

I think you're only half right. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the price part.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Nagakura
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:

Mattel’s purchase of Sekkoia includes Blokus Trigon, Blokus 3D, Blokus Duo, and Blokus Giant.[/i]

Mattel versions of Blokus 3D and Blokus Duo are available at my FLGS.
Blokus Duo is the same as Travel Blokus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if the components are the same or if they managed to find a way to make those cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
Wonder if the components are the same or if they managed to find a way to make those cheaper.

If there was a way to make them cheaper, you can be sure they did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
ekimmel wrote:

If there was a way to make them cheaper, you can be sure they did.

Did anyone ever figure out if the components are cheaper? I've got an unopened copy that I bought on the way to our summer vacation. My wife had forgotten (yeah, right) to pack the games. So I made an emergency stop at Target. Lo, the Mattel version. I picked it up. But we never got a chance to play. So, does anyone know if the components are as good before I trade it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Kilpatrick
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
I have the Divisible by Zero version at home but my parents just bought the new Mattel version.

At first I thought their version looked a bit inferior until I compared it with mine and they're both virtually the same. The only difference seems to be the removal of the awards on the box and a slightly re-designed cover. But the board, pieces and rule sheet are exactly the same.

They did, however, remove the useless triangle containers and created a cardboard partition in the center in which the pieces sit in zip-locked bags (yes that's right, they now provide the zip-locked bags for you!!).

So it looks like it's still being made in the same place in China... for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.