United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend that has a friend who's selling this game for $90 in shrink.

Now $90 is a lot of money for a game for me, and I'm thinking that if I do buy this, I'll either keep it in shrink and resell it to someone who both wants it and can afford it, or play it, and if I don't love it try to resell it.

That all said, are there any editions or other conditions I should check to make sure that if I do buy this for $90, I'm getting my money's worth. I checked the BGG marketplace, and the game seems to go for $130ish. If that's the case (still) then this seems like a pretty good deal.

I haven't been paying attention to the market on this game, so I need help.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Interesting that it is in shrink. I am almost positve it didn't come that way from Splotter. Most of the US online retailers even have a disclaimer that none of the Splotter games come in shrink as this is how they receive them from this "amatuer" publisher.

Other than that, $90 is a reasonable price. But I would be leary about the shrink. Makes me think they might be hiding the fact pieces are missing or some otehr damage to the contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, he didn't actually say, 'in shrink', he just said new, and I translated that in my game-buying-brain. Thanks for looking out for me, though, I do appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK. I thought that he had a lot of nerve passing it off that way!

$90 is still very reasonable. I beleive I spent that amount for the game (I also paid for the expansion and shipping so i don't remember the exact cost of just the game). But I watched the prices for a while and felt it was a good deal. I would jump at this price.

The most current edition, I think, is 3rd edition (4th might have come out but I stopped paying attention when I got my copy). I am not exactly sure what changed from previous editions except the fact these are usually small print runs. So the edition may just reflect "printing."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you don't like it you should be able to resell it without too much pain. The price itself seems fine. It is probably what the other person paid plus or minus a little bit.

The game is 4 hours to finish. So it is not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great game Jeremiah. It is even wonderful solo

You can always resell it for at least what you have in it I am sure. I don't regret buying my copy one bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you buying to resell or buying to play?

I bought it and it was amazing... for about a dozen plays. Once you have played through a scenario twice, you have to move on. The game is essentially a solitaire puzzle game. Playing it with other players introduces the possibility of conflict which brings the game to a screeching halt as soon as anyone gets within range of anyone else. IMHO this completely ruins the game and makes it virtually unplayable with anything more than 2 players.

I enjoyed it while I had it but an offer of $160 meant it found a new home. I was so disappointed in its 3-4 player potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The puzzles kept be going for a dozen-ish plays however the multi-player game is where the game really is. Okay with 2, better with 3 or 4 (I slightly prefer 3 but the difference is minimal). Many people play Roads & Boats nice, which is a waste of the game. Steal their geese, build walls across their area, take their resources, put crappy/useless buildings on their prime locations. Give 'em hell -- and don't ignore the Wonder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded Agricola for it straight across (I feel like it was great deal) and finally got to play a 3 player last night. What a totally cool game! I felt free to build and expand however I wanted. I'ld highly recommend getting it. If you don't like it, then trade it. But I absolutely loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys I have a question. You all seem to know more about this stuff than I do.

I am thinking of selling my copy and wanted to know what would be a fair price to sell it for in the marketplace.

It would be the game and the expansion, it was only played one time by me, solo.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You can go under the Stats section of the main R&B page and the expansion and see what the price history is. Price history seems a bit skewed as New condition sells cheapest of all while "like new" is higher and "very good" is astronomical. It must be reflecting desperation in getting copies.

I still think $90 for the base game and $25 for ther &cetera expansion is a fair price. Price history shows maybe you could get another 50-75% out of it. But while it is currently OOP, it frequently gets republished. I picked mine up new after it had been OOP for quite a few months, and that was after I missed an earlier reprint a few months before that.

If you are concerned about keeping it fair for both you and the buyer, why not just auction it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Colt.
I am trying to keep it fair and not gouge people. So, I guess between $115 and $125 is a fair price. I think it cost me that much, now that I think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm....

You can get this new for $90 at Boards and Bits:

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=18...

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.