Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison to previous games ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mircea Pauca
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, some background for my hobby: I come from 'full' (not monstruously heavy) board wargaming and computer gaming (Civ, tycoons, economic games in general) and after some reinforcement here on BGG got myself Agricola.
I'm very pleased of this open-ended system, which can be what You the Players want it to be: more or less competitive or cooperative game, 'sandbox' for optimization, family version or cards or yet more cards!
However, some potential opponents laughed at the theme (play just a simple farmer's household ?? here it's still a low-status occupation, not something exotic). On the other side, I haven't been able to attract some more social gamers - they having discovered Dominion ;-)
I would assume our group won't stomach the longer more abstract games like El Grande or Knizia's Shogun; and I wouldn't like too wacky rules to learn on the fly like Cosmic Encounter (another gamer showed it, but we had too little time to digest it all) or many fake-thematic 'Ameritrash' games.
I already have Power Grid and again, don't think it would go too well with this group.

So I'm asking: how well does Agricola "scratch the same itch" of previous indirect-interaction economic games like Caylus, Puerto Rico, The Pillars of the Earth ? or it effectively makes them obsolete, and it makes little sense to return to one of them just for the wider appeal ?
There have been reviews of Agricola 'paired' with the previous top game Puerto Rico, but reviews of *them* in comparison with Agricola ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is one of those games in which I want to do everything at once, but can't. my 2 cents....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't much care for Caylus, but I really enjoy Agricola. I consider it different enough from Puerto Rico that I'll happily play either (and own both).

For me, Agricola scratches a different itch than Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is all about setting up a VP engine, and then watching it work until the game ends. In Agricola, you barely have time to become self-sufficient before the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell the players who laughed at you that it's organic farming. Then they'll be just fine with it (or at least they would if they lived on the west coast of the US)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

Tell them all it's post-Apocalypse farming and you'll do even better.

Agricola and Caylus (and to a lesser extent, Puerto Rico) all scratch the same basic itch for me. It's all about efficiency, optimization and adjustment to other players' actions. Currently, I find Agricola to be the most "fun," but that's only because my crew is fairly well burnt out on Puerto Rico. We all like Caylus well enough (and pay our respects to the inspiration of Agricola), but given the choice, we'll break out Agricola first. There's just something about all those stupid cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="MisterG"]
Tell them all it's post-Apocalypse farming and you'll do even better. :D q]

Genius lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things Agricola has going for is the fact that the game doesn't feel abstract; the gameplay seems very organic. You cannot learn Puerto Rico by "trying out different stuff and seeing what happens", not really, but in Agricola you can do exactly that. And I love how the short-term goal of "feeding the family" smoothly evolves into the long-term goal of "having a big and varied farm", so much that you hardly notice it the first few games. In PR this is not so obvious, initially you are never really sure whether you are doing a good job or not and how much VP points you will get (the quality of farms in Agricola is usually self-evident at the glance, even by the people who don't know how to play the game).

That said, I still think PR is a little bit more gamer-y then Agricola, which caters to the wider audience with its pleasing theme and CCG-like elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
...That said, I still think PR is a little bit more gamer-y then Agricola, which caters to the wider audience with its pleasing theme and CCG-like elements.

Heh. I had visions of expansive reserves of gaming folk herded into large, enclosed spaces, where they wander about, waiting to be summoned to participate in one game or another.

Oh, wait, that's called a gaming convention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.