10 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » Variants

Subject: Has anyone tried a different setup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Bernier III
msg tools
mbmbmb
For the few games I've played, I've followed the rulebook and placed my remaining 7 yellow tokens as shown for the startup. And granted, it's a good solid start for your civilization. But has anyone tried a different setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
The setups diverge quite quickly after the first turn as everyone is picking different cards from the display.

However, you could try adding up the value of the starting yellow beads (# of goods and food needed to create and build) and allow an equivalent to be spent for a hidden (pre-card selection) initial start. For further balance, you could also add up the number of actions needed and provide the further constraint that everyone is limited to the same number of actions (military and civil).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand you to be asking whether the rules permit you to start with your population assigned differently than in the standard setup. The answer is no. I think if you were allowed to assign your population however you want, there are pretty obvious things that everyone would do differently. Certainly there wouldn't be much point in starting with one unused population if you could start with it as a building instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Bernier III
msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules are pretty clear as to how you setup your civilization (player-board errors notwithstanding). I was just curious about the advantages of that particular setup and if anyone had tried something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darius241 wrote:
The rules are pretty clear as to how you setup your civilization (player-board errors notwithstanding). I was just curious about the advantages of that particular setup and if anyone had tried something different.

Do you mean the same setup for everyone, but different than the standard start? Or let everyone choose their own setup? It's hard to understand what you're getting at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of the first things I considered upon learning the game was whether it would be interesting to allow each player 6 deployed workers at the start, to be organized among Bronze Mine, Agriculture Farm, Warrior, Philosophy Lab, and Religion Temple however he wished and whether the allocation given in the rules is optimal or not. This is what the original poster is asking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Bernier III
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah. That's basically what I was thinking. It would be interesting to try it, but I think I'll play through a few more games before I start messing with the initial conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
One of the first things I considered upon learning the game was whether it would be interesting to allow each player 6 deployed workers at the start, to be organized among Bronze Mine, Agriculture Farm, Warrior, Philosophy Lab, and Religion Temple however he wished and whether the allocation given in the rules is optimal or not. This is what the original poster is asking about.

It seems pretty obvious that no one would start with a warrior under those conditions, you would start with the productive buildings (mines, farms, labs) because those do the most for you in the first turns.

Having everyone start with two labs would change the early game quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like Ron K's idea about giving players the resources to spend on placing workers wherever they might want, equivalent to the starting setup. Food is a moot point.

I would imagine having two warriors could be quite an interesting power-shifting image for others to see, particularly those who chose to put 0 warriors in. It's really not obvious at all, as aggressions can start very quickly.

I'd only do this with quite experienced players, but it's not a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely only for experienced players, but perhaps interesting for those who want to shake things up a bit. Personally, I'd consider giving up a farm and compensate for that with action cards until I can build one, and put that worker in a mine or lab instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.