Popular Tags: [View All]
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
didaskalos wrote:
I'm looking at buying this set because it comes with two pre-constructed decks. My question is: Are the two decks balanced against each other?

I picked the 2 decks up, and have played them a little, and so far I would say that they are very good decks to duel against. They tend to create a game that isn't over too fast, and offers some good play moments.

Just a note, the Red deck plays fast, and the Blue one plays slower while it tries to get control, but in experienced hands, they are equal. (If both players are new, I would put Red ahead every game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the decks to be balanced, but as Curt noted the Jace deck takes a little more skill to play well. I had similar questions before I bought the duel decks (I've never played M:tG otherwise) and I stumbled onto this article by the designer, which encouraged me to buy the set.

He listed the following as priorities for the design:

* Maximizing fun
* Ensuring back-and-forth game play
* Choosing an appropriate power level
* Choosing an appropriate complexity level (i.e. "keyword vocabulary")
* Allowing "the planeswalker cards to be stars"
* Choosing which cards to be alternate art
* Catering to the flavor-driven player
* Catering to the lapsed player
* Catering to the casual player
* Catering to the "bling bling" player (I'm one of these.)
* Catering to the new player
* Adhering to the Reserve List
* Adhering to Extended legality rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
Australia
Darlington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jace vs Chandra was my first introductino to MTG. I had a lot of fun with the two decks. The Jace (blue) deck definately took me longer to gain control of, but once I did, I found it to be the stronger of the two - only slightly though and this doesn't diminish the replay value as it took many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.