Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it says that you need 4 flipped (haunted) tiles, or 3 for normal level in order to lose I assume that means in a row. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Any four tiles (or three for normal level) haunted and you lose. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
When it says that you need 4 flipped (haunted) tiles, or 3 for normal level in order to lose I assume that means in a row. Is that correct?

Well, yes and no, sort of... I was also confused by the rules on this one.

The rules state: Note for Initiation level: If all 3 Village tiles in front of the ghost are already haunted, such that this ghost would be haunting a non-existent fourth tile in that row, the players immediately lose the game.

So when I read later that on the Normal level it's only 3 tiles that needed to be haunted to lose, I missed where it said any three tiles. I was still thinking that it always meant three in a row, as opposed to four in a row for the Initiation level (well, with the 4th tile being off the board). I'd been playing on the Normal level for a while worried only about getting a row of 3 tiles haunted, when of course the concern could be much worse when it's any 3 tiles.

So in the Initiation level, if any 4 tiles are haunted, you lose. Any 3 tiles for Normal, Nightmare and Hell. And the only reason they mentioned the row thing was to indicate that even though you couldn't flip over another tile in that row, it would still count as a 4th haunted tile. So that makes sense now, but it's an example of why the rulebook is a little screwy in describing some situations. The rules are, in essence, all in the rule book, but in some cases they aren't laid out or described as well as they could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to tell you the rules are really starting to annoy me. I've played it three times and yet to get the correct rules.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does it say in the Rules Any 3 tiles? On Page 10 the rules state
Quote:
The Taoists lose the game if 3 village tiles are haunted, rather than 4.

Since "3" is being used in the same context as "4" I assumed it meant 3 in a row. Besides, any 3 is way too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
Where does it say in the Rules Any 3 tiles?

On page 7 under "End of Game" it says "There are 3 situations that result in the players’ defeat... 2. A 4th location in the village is haunted."

It was probably not wise to put that note about the "row" earlier on in the rulebook, because that is only for the very special case on the Initiation level. The correct rule is stated later, but I didn't process that, having the "row" idea put into my head initially. I think the number of tiles should have just been stated under "End of Game" as it is, and then a special note added after that, such as "In the Initiation level, if a row of three tiles has been haunted and 4th tile would be, that counts as the 4th tile".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree entirely with Grudunza. The reference to 3 in a row was an attempt to clarify one special case, and unfortunately that backfired for some people.

The actual rule says "if 3 village tiles are flipped", not "if a straight row of 3 village tiles are flipped".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.