tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a Adam Sandler Fan from way back, I love in Happy Gilmore when he goes to his happy place and has his girl, a midget , beer on tap, and some other good stuff involved for his happy place.

We are building a house, and to be honest, it is really tough and not going so well at this time and point, I can not help but think of all our problems not stop and how I can not afford this house, let alone what now has to be fixed before it is even done.

But I have found when I games on-line ( carcassonne or Settlers is all I really play online ) or in person with friends I can forget about everything and just play the game and forget about life. My wife says when I game she will talk to me and I am clueless, she is talking to the wall. The real pisser is I play at Aso-brains and for some reason my connection will not work for a few days at a time and it just went out this morning.................

meaning my happy place just got taken away soblue

Anyways...

So does your happy place include games

my would be good friends, lots of games, tables, Beer, some smoke, with nothing to do and no one leaving anytime soon. I would be happy just playing Heroscape for a month straight, but for my friends sake we would mix it up with other board games, heck I am starting to get enough of them I better use them.

And anyone else find that gaming lets you forgot about life for a while?

Game On'

Hendal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are definitely my happy place -- always have been. My company even named its development blog "Appy Place."

I blogged about similar feelings here: "My happy place is the rankest corner of the local gameshop, or the epic nerdvanna of GenCon. That’s me, in the garage, huddled around an Agricola gameboard with a host of paste-eating freaks. I just love boardgames ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
I've occasionally thought about that place on the beach you mentioned that you have access to.

For me, it'd be a long vacation with no commitments, and some serious game playing. Some videos, and lots of pizza. Oh - and the most important things would be NO CELL PHONE>

I'm on call 24/7, so I'd love to shake that off forever.

I think it'd be cool to pick a small number of games and play the heck out of them. Like 10-20 games each. Try some crazy strategies and new ideas. Analyze the heck out of them. Talk, debate, watch some cheesy science fiction.

Basically act like I was in my 20s again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
Basically act like I was in my 20s again.
Seriously. Just a couple days of being 20-ish. I do love my life, but I miss that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm hearing is that the "Golden Age of Gaming" is ... 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FalloutFan - man you are right on, if I ever get my house finished, get out of debt and get more $, I am so trying to help you get down here, that sounds just frigging perfect to me.

LNOE
Heroscape
Conquest of the fallen lands
Kingdoms
Carcassonne ( if your a fast player ) with expansions or not

you pick the other 5 to 10 and the game is On

Paul - yep, GenCon could now be part of my happy place, it makes me now want to go to Origins, BGG.Con this year, and then a couple more next year, not going to happen in real life, but hey this is my happy place

GenCon - got a hotel room connected to the place, My brother, Paul, Terry, Bubba - 2 connecting rooms. Take the tourney by storm I tell you, that is easily 1.5 extra hours of game time a day with driving and wasting time waiting. I am a early morning person so I can go down really early. Have pre-tested armies this year with all the boys and we are all locked and loaded.

Heck I will go so far as to say i get a decent carrying case for all my stuff ( I am the guy at gencon with a wallmart plastic back and I just dump it and woop some ass I tell - I would not say that last statement if I didn't get ranked 1st after the first day of the National championship qualifications for the finals ( I got 5th ) - I was on fire I tell you, the first battle was the toughest but I had another one go down to one last roll to see who goes first for that round - an we knew that guy would win it, great match.

Oh yea and $ to spend in the vending hall, now I have my gencon legs I am ready to hit the demo hall hard on Thurs. and suck it all in, oh yea, I am so ready for this

Hendal the Happy Dwarf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midget girls carrying beer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hyde
Australia
Blue Mountains
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Midget girls carrying beer!

Ahh .. fond memories of The Hobbit Bar, Manila
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
me thinks my happy place would be something very similar to this list by EndersGame http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38482

since I read it a couple of days ago I've been dreaming up ways to make something like this happen for myself. Outdoor activities in the morning followed by some great food, drink and games with friends....sounds like paradise to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
offshegoes wrote:
me thinks my happy place would be something very similar to this list by EndersGame http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38482

since I read it a couple of days ago I've been dreaming up ways to make something like this happen for myself. Outdoor activities in the morning followed by some great food, drink and games with friends....sounds like paradise to me.

That's a great list, I hadn't seen it. Mixing up games with some vigorous physical activity seems like a good idea. As much as love big nerd-ins like GenCon, by the time I get two or three days into them I'm on the verge of collapse from poor diet, lack of sleep, and slouching over a table. Seems to me some fresh air and exercise would extend both the length and the quality of a game week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul - when I was at GenCon I brought a whole suitcase of healthy snacks to eat the whole time and ate nothing from the convention center, I was fine and passing out healthy food to others, I new the snacks here would be way cheaper and healthier so I brought a bunch to save $.

Hye I have offered our guest house to gamers, close to the beach , do tours all day, game int he afternoon and evening, great food is also not that hard to come by, my wife is a great cook.

Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely seek escape into a Happy Place via games; for me it's what the "hobby" is all about.

But I'm an oddball; in my Happy Place, I tune out other players as well as the rest of the world. Hence, my "holy grail" is a solitaire game that's as rich and absorbing and totally satisfying as any two-or-more-player game. If I could find that, any reasonably comfortable surroundings would do; I'd just make a "den" for myself wherever I am and enjoy a couple hours of gaming bliss.

If not that, then I'd be snuggled up next to a fireplace with my soul mate, playing a 2-player game we both love.

As to being 20-something again, nah. Well, only if I could change my age and still know what I know now. I was dazed and confused often enough back then, chasing hopeless dreams down blind alleys; I wouldn't want that element of chaos back in my life. Others might call it fun, but I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
Paul - when I was at GenCon I brought a whole suitcase of healthy snacks to eat the whole time and ate nothing from the convention center, I was fine and passing out healthy food to others, I new the snacks here would be way cheaper and healthier so I brought a bunch to save $.

Smart man. Wish I was sitting next to you instead of the guy with the infinite bag of twinkies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.