Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my girlfriend Descent: Journeys in the Dark for Christmas, she showed great interest in the art, and plastic dragons and thought it looked cool. We had a blast working through the rules and completing our first game. Even though it took many hours the time never really dragged and the time flew by. I'll have to credit this to her having a great interest in playing with her new toy, and me along with her. She can't wait to get the next game started. I guess she's on her way to be an Ameritrasher, Wooohoooo!
She also enjoys Apples to Apples, Bohnanza, Through the Desert, Tikal, Citadels, Lost Cities, Catan, and she bought herself Grave Robbers From Outer Space. she is looking forward to us finally learning the rules and playing Arkham Horror. She doesn't sound to excited about War of the Ring (First Edition), & Twilight Struggle but is willing to give them a shot anyways (maybe she'll get hooked) Am I lucky or what

6 hours later Narthak finally Dies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neverwhere68 wrote:
I got my girlfriend Descent: Journeys in the Dark for Christmas, she showed great interest in the art, and plastic dragons and thought it looked cool. We had a blast working through the rules and completing our first game. Even though it took many hours the time never really dragged and the time flew by. I'll have to credit this to her having a great interest in playing with her new toy, and me along with her. She can't wait to get the next game started. I guess she's on her way to be an Ameritrasher, Wooohoooo!
She also enjoys Apples to Apples, Bohnanza, Through the Desert, Tikal, Citadels, Lost Cities, Catan, and she bought herself Grave Robbers From Outer Space. she is looking forward to us finally learning the rules and playing Arkham Horror. She doesn't sound to excited about War of the Ring (First Edition), & Twilight Struggle but is willing to give them a shot anyways (maybe she'll get hooked) Am I lucky or what

Quite. I'm probably going to be looking to sell MOST of those titles you just listed because mine refuses to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quite. I'm probably going to be looking to sell MOST of those titles you just listed because mine refuses to play them.

hehehehehe.......I mean, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I bet that she got you a purse for Christmas... In a sense it reminds me of Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball with his name on it.

But, seriously, well done and have fun playing those games with your better half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My love enjoys Through the Desert, Samurai, Ingenious, Lost Cities, Settlers of Catan, Battle Line (she even asks me to play it more often), San Marco, Citadels, Tikal, Blokus and of course Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne games. I consider myself lucky. As you are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are you two going to paint the miniatures? laugh Nothing says love like assembly-line painting!

Could be interesting but I think she would rather play. I'll have to ask her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Someone's girlfriend smiling and holding a copy of Descent?!

We must savor this moment. It is a sign of the beginning of the Times of Change! We must find the warrior with amnesia and the cute girl who cannot cook and they shall scour the Earth for the 3 Orbs of Shaka-Khan and the Sword of Rykj'msbch and forever end the stereotype that girlfriends won't play hack-n-slash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
You got a keeper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm glad we went to the trouble of getting this forum set up. Otherwise the world would never know that some people like playing board games despite having entirely the wrong genital structure for the hobby.

My other half has been known to play wargames, by the way. I can probably arrange to have some pictures of him posted if people find this hard to believe. And the cats will all sit in game boxes and knock meeples over, given half a chance.

(I got two hours sleep last night and suffer this sort of inanity even less gladly than usual. For God's sake, guys, aren't we a little past this by now?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louiseh wrote:
Well, I'm glad we went to the trouble of getting this forum set up. Otherwise the world would never know that some people like playing board games despite having entirely the wrong genital structure for the hobby.

My other half has been known to play wargames, by the way. I can probably arrange to have some pictures of him posted if people find this hard to believe. And the cats will all sit in game boxes and knock meeples over, given half a chance.

(I got two hours sleep last night and suffer this sort of inanity even less gladly than usual. For God's sake, guys, aren't we a little past this by now?)

Indeed, M'lady, 'tis a mighty high horse from which you're delighting us so with your wonderful insights, would you mind dismounting your steed so that we, the unwashed masses, the ungrateful plebejans may better hear you?

I mean, the guy is just happy he has a girlfriend that likes the same games he does, and like it or not, that's (unfortunately) rare enough to remain something special even today, nobody even so much as insinuated that this is a bad thing or that women shouldn't or can't play games like Descent, so why does this HAVE to be dragged down into a sexism debate?

Get over yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want it to be considered sexist, don't stick it in "Women and Gaming".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boggs
Australia
Midland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
louiseh wrote:
If you don't want it to be considered sexist, don't stick it in "Women and Gaming".

It's about a WOMAN who plays GAMES. That doesn't belong in "Women and Gaming"? shake /facepalm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louiseh wrote:

You're right, this should go to the "a woman that games"-subforum, since it is not about all women on the world but an individual, he like, totally ignored the posting guidelines established in you know, §5b from The Book Of Laws Of Gaming And Women: "Let it be known that any and all posts in this venerable subforum are required to focus on and enforce the view of 'women' as a faceless mass, nobody shall dare post about an individual woman or differentiate between women, for WE ARE ONE!"

Admittedly not everything that isn't specifically forbidden is automatically allowed, but I'd say that a rule like "You are not allowed to post about a woman that games in the women and gaming forum" should really be spelled out, lest someone else repeats this dreadful error, I personally would have thought that, you know, it's okay to post about gaming women in a forum with a name that so strongly suggests it is about gaming women, but I'm sure you can provide us with a link to a post that supports your wise ruling, perhaps even one from the people who could clear this mistery (You know, the question what the hell this subforum is supposed to be here for if it isn't to post about things that have to do with women and gaming), the admins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your problem now. What you want is a forum where men can post sightings of hot gaming women, maybe a photo or two, do a bit of boasting about how far their girl will go (in a gaming sense, obviously), that sort of thing. And then other men can join in, compare notes on their women at home, be a bit envious, maybe. And you thought "Women and gaming" must be it because it has "women" in it, and that is after all what you want to talk about.

I think you'll find that you're looking for the "Reader's Wives" forum, which doesn't actually exist yet but I'm seriously thinking of asking Aldie to set it up so you can all go off there and stop creeping us out.

If Girlfriend wants to tell us about playing Descent herself then it takes five minutes to set up a user account. If you want to tell us about the shared experience of gaming with your SO then do it in general gaming, since assuming that no more than 50% of you are female it doesn't belong here. If you just want to talk about your girlfriend, then (a) that's a bit odd anyway (b) try not to do it in terms more suitable for discussing a rather unusual performing seal and (c) don't do it in a forum originally set up to be an asset to the women on this site not as a gossip column for the men.

I'll keep off my high horse everywhere else in the site if you can manage at least a nod to the idea that a forum with women in the title might possibly be primarily for the benefit of the not inconsiderable numbers of women on this site and not primarily for men to sit around swapping notes about them.

I'm afraid I can't point you to an admin ruling to this effect, so you are of course free to keep posting whatever sexist garbage you like here. But then, I'm of course free to keep commenting. What fun we shall have; I can hardly wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think she's trying to say that 'women and gaming' is primarily for female BGGer's. I have never heard of this before but that is really immaterial. I have basically, learned after 30 years of girlfriends and marriage, "don't argue, just give in". Later on when she says that men are welcome to participate in 'women and gaming', "don't argue, just give in".

If all she wants is this little corner of BGG I don't see the point in arguing about it.

If she's says this line of thought is patronizing. You know ..."don't argue, just give in".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartman347 wrote:

If she's says this line of thought is patronizing. You know ..."don't argue, just give in".

Yeah, I'd say her GeekBadge says it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boggs
Australia
Midland
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
louiseh wrote:

I think you'll find that you're looking for the "Reader's Wives" forum, which doesn't actually exist yet but I'm seriously thinking of asking Aldie to set it up so you can all go off there and stop creeping us out.

If Girlfriend wants to tell us about playing Descent herself then it takes five minutes to set up a user account.

I'll keep off my high horse everywhere else in the site if you can manage at least a nod to the idea that a forum with women in the title might possibly be primarily for the benefit of the not inconsiderable numbers of women on this site and not primarily for men to sit around swapping notes about them.

I'm afraid I can't point you to an admin ruling to this effect, so you are of course free to keep posting whatever sexist garbage you like here. But then, I'm of course free to keep commenting. What fun we shall have; I can hardly wait.

Now I understand. She's upset that men are posting in the "Women Only" Women and Gaming forum. She's implying that all of us men want a specific forum where we can look at pics of hot chicks playing games, and "swap notes" about women. She has the nerve to call us sexist... She's also egging people on to continue to argue with her even though her geekbadge says she's "never wrong". shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
Are you two going to paint the miniatures? laugh Nothing says love like assembly-line painting!

I need an assembly line. I am working through Descent and all expansions. Then I have

--War of the Ring (and expansion)
--Runebound (and expansions)
--Fury of Dracula
--Dragon Strike

and if I get my hands on a whole line of metallic paints

--Starcraft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louiseh wrote:
I see your problem now. What you want is a forum where men can post sightings of hot gaming women, maybe a photo or two, do a bit of boasting about how far their girl will go (in a gaming sense, obviously), that sort of thing. And then other men can join in, compare notes on their women at home, be a bit envious, maybe. And you thought "Women and gaming" must be it because it has "women" in it, and that is after all what you want to talk about.

No, actually I was just looking for your reason to condemn this thread, seeing how it seems pretty much related to the subject -or at least title- of this forum
I have been told that my standards of human relationships are pretty high, but so far I never had the dubious pleasure of meeting a person who actually thought that being proud of ones girl- or boyfriend was a bad thing, mind you, that listing includes one of my sisters who thought my obsession with bilateral fidelity was unnatural.
I'll be honest here, the OP's girlfriend isn't exactly my type, and were it not for your post, my main reaction to this thread might have been something like "So what, who the fuck cares?!" like I had to many other threads, the difference being of course, I normally don't openly react to those (Because.... You know, I kinda like offending people, but their mere existence isn't enough of a reason for me to do it) unless some "enlightened" self-righteous "force of good" decides to act like the ass of the century (A role I'm actually quite familiar with), maybe I'm just too fond of biting flame-bait, but I just can't resist the shine of perfect jack-assitry certain people let through in their posts.

Quote:

Quite so, it is rather obvious that any human male that is proud of his girlfriend/wife is a creepy miscreant, just let me write that down "Do not feel joy about your partners interests, particularly if you share them", did I get that right?

Quote:
If Girlfriend wants to tell us about playing Descent herself then it takes five minutes to set up a user account.

Actually, I think we can agree here, I too think the subject isn't that unbelievably interesting, I also think that if she's really into it she could just as well sign up and post about it, and there's just about a 0.01% chance I'd do a post like this, even if I found the beautiful, strong, intelligent, interesting, crazy, sharp-tongued, sexually engaging, insanely kinky gamergrrl I'm looking for (I think you've dated in your livetime, I also think you know how hard it is to find a guy that meets all those criteria, finding a girl that does is -and believe me, I'd really prefer it the other way around- far more difficult), but even considering all this I still can't see the sexism in this post...

Quote:
If you want to tell us about the shared experience of gaming with your SO then do it in general gaming, since assuming that no more than 50% of you are female it doesn't belong here. If you just want to talk about your girlfriend, then (a) that's a bit odd anyway (b) try not to do it in terms more suitable for discussing a rather unusual performing seal and (c) don't do it in a forum originally set up to be an asset to the women on this site not as a gossip column for the men.

Alright, I can't really argue (a), but I still think this forum is just as fitting for the subject at hand as the general forum, I have to admit I don't quite get (b), in my opinion he was being rather neutral about the subject, but english not being my first language, it is entirely possible I didn't quite get all connotations either of his post or of point (b), I'd appreciate if you'd enlighten me there.

But now we're entering the twilight zone, (c) is just a guess, you know just as well as I do that there are no firm posting guidelines established, just recently there was a (I'm assuming female) poster who not only abused this forum to smear the whole site without providing so much as a single link of evidence (abridged quote: "There are so many sexist posts around here because 75% percent of all posters are male") while similarly forbidding any male to react to this rather unfair attack (abridged: "If you're a guy, don't post here, it's the women and gaming forum after all!") and then attacking the guys who responded (Mind you, I saw this coming, so I didn't even bother to reply, but obviously not every BGG can see through such obvious rethoric tricks), this forum is unfortunately rather undefined in its purpose, I think we all would appreciate a change there, but until such time, any claims about it's "real, truthful purpose" are nothing but hot air, don't your agree?
Quote:

If someone bothered to define the meaning of this subforum, I'd happily oblige, and to be honest, when I first joined the site I too thought that this was the meaning of this forum, which is why I try to the best of my abilities to respect those threads which are obviously not "our" territory (Though I've seen enough examples of fellow geeks who do not, unfortunately), but there are enough posts here both by men AND by women who address the very real difference in numbers between our sexes (and a few, on both sides, like the one I mentioned above, who just attack 'the enemy(!)' without giving a FUCK about peace, cooperation, or all the other words such troublemakers like to (ab)use whenever it seems opportune to them)

Quote:

You did well so far, I even had to agree about a few points, but now you just let me down, I'm posting sexist garbage? Look, you're obviously free to point out this.... eh... Sexist garbage you found in my posts (I'm particularly interested in how you'll attempt to turn my part about not viewing all women the same into some kind of sexist gospel), but you better do good, because I, well, was raised by a woman most men would call a raging feminist, I know the arguments, I know the reasoning behind them (and I know how often this reasoning unfortunately remains true even today, though still far less often than you'd like to believe), I understand the problem as much as any man could, and I'm more than willing to call bullshit, so good luck, I won't just underestimate you and give you a shallow victory over a person who is not even your enemy (read: me) just to shut you up, but still, feel free to pursue this horrific case of sexism

And there I went and actually let myself be dragged into this whole dirty sexism-discussion-business I wanted to avoid, shame on me :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartman347 wrote:
I think she's trying to say that 'women and gaming' is primarily for female BGGer's. I have never heard of this before but that is really immaterial. I have basically, learned after 30 years of girlfriends and marriage, "don't argue, just give in". Later on when she says that men are welcome to participate in 'women and gaming', "don't argue, just give in".

If all she wants is this little corner of BGG I don't see the point in arguing about it.

Some of my relationships thaught me this, on the other hand, my mother taught me to engage assholes and call bullshit whenever possible, regardless of their sex, I know I'd feel insulted if an opponent wouldn't even go to the trouble of examining my opinion before (dis)agreeing with me (and there were a few people I rapidly lost interest in because they just defaulted to one of those sides without actually thinking things through) agreeing or dismissing, though this insult would only sting until such time that I'd dismiss said person as a moronic puppet not worthy of a proper and interesting discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For God's sake, guys, aren't we a little past this by now?)

Social Realism - A philosophical strain whether conscious or not that is especially strong in Great Britain. If they see a problem they attempt to cure or solve the problem by getting everyone to just act like or pretend that it does not exist. For example, louiseh, does not like it when a man notices that most women don't play games. Though this is indeed true and a cause for celebration when your girlfriend or wife turns out to be a gamer, she does not want to hear it. If we just pretend that both sexes play games just as much, it will all become true. People tried to do this following the sixties with boys and girls behavior. Buy dolls for boys and guns for girls. Lets just pretend that these are the normal toys that girls and boys like. No matter how much the social realists tried most boys and girls were just not interested in the new toys. Unfortunately, social realist theory does not work. This does not mean that you shouldn't attempt to create your Brave New World. Just don't end up scratching your head when 50 years from now men are still happy to have gamer girlfriends and wives.

Quote:

Obviously not. Or you wouldn't have to write this. Look, I wish more women played games, heck I wish more women played wargames, heck I wish more men played games. But it's not going to happen by pretending we're already where we want to be.

It's funny. I love England. If you accidentally bump into someone on a NYC subway they say "Watch your step idiot." But if you accidentally bump into someone on the London underground they give a sincere and apolegetic ... "excuse me." They're incredibly polite and civilized. I like that. But they also pretend they live in the most civilized country in the world. But read their so-called newspapers, there horrible, they're little more than scandal sheets. And when they do have a bit of real news it's always some 'ripper' killing girls and chopping up their bodies. Or tough little English kids killing their black classmates with steel pipes. I love the BBC, for example, but don't get the idea that it's the real England in anyway. I love England but don't talk to an English person about anything real or it's "We don't talk about those things old boy".

As far as segregating men and women into gender specific forums like 'Women and Gaming' I could say the same thing as louiseh, "For gods sake, guys, aren't we a little past this by now?" But I'm not a social realist. Look we're never going to live in a perfect world. If women want or need a forum to call their own, fine. If later other women feel that segregation is bad, they can and have abolished sexually segregated areas. The cycle comes around again and some women start getting angry at the injustice of having no special women's area.

As far as louiseh's My Fair Lady in reverse sentiments "Why can't a man act more like a woman?". Or why do men have to act so desperate for, girl gamers, sex, etc? Part of civilization is allowing everyone, as long as they are not hurting anyone, to live. We may not agree with them, we may not want them on our forum, but we can live with them. Instead of trying to block them out or shut them down, how about letting them do their thing and if you don't like it, don't attempt to censor them just politely say you do not agree and and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartman347 wrote:
Quote:

Social Realism - A philosophical strain whether conscious or not that is especially strong in Great Britain. If they see a problem they attempt to cure or solve the problem by getting everyone to just act like or pretend that it does not exist. For example, louiseh, does not like it when a man notices that most women don't play games. Though this is indeed true and a cause for celebration when your girlfriend or wife turns out to be a gamer, she does not want to hear it. If we just pretend that both sexes play games just as much, it will all become true. People tried to do this following the sixties with boys and girls behavior. Buy dolls for boys and guns for girls. Lets just pretend that these are the normal toys that girls and boys like. No matter how much the social realists tried most boys and girls were just not interested in the new toys. Unfortunately, social realist theory does not work. This does not mean that you shouldn't attempt to create your Brave New World. Just don't end up scratching your head when 50 years from now men are still happy to have gamer girlfriends and wives.

I agree with almost everything you wrote here (Though I'm sorry the poor impression I probably made on quite a few people here will most likely stain your position and possibly even hurt their ability to objectively weigh your opinion, I just HAD to state my agreement), but this part in particular strikes me as particularly sad and weak, I've made this mistake quite a few times myself, and I've seen it made by others, and I hate myself every time I fall back into this old behaviour, but I just wanted to point out, this is not an exclusively British problem, it happens here in Germany quite a bit as well, and from what I hear from your people, it is quite common around your parts too, still I'm glad for everyone who understands the problem...

And WTF, I'm still wasting valuable time on this pointless discussion, someone or something needs to stop me, guess I'll just go to sleep....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steinley wrote:
ced1106 wrote:

I need an assembly line. I am working through Descent and all expansions. Then I have

--War of the Ring (and expansion)
--Runebound (and expansions)
--Fury of Dracula
--Dragon Strike

and if I get my hands on a whole line of metallic paints

--Starcraft

I at least like how the monster descriptions in Descent give you some good ideas on how to paint and differentiate the masters. You're a brave and busy soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.

Sorry.

Severe mixed state hypomanic at the moment and overreacting like crazy. Normal service will be resumed in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

I haven't read any of the recent comments because I am still way up, irritable as hell and can't afford a new Mac if my foot goes through this one. A particular apology to the OP who certainly didn't deserve to have his slightly annoying thread hijacked.

There's probably right in principle, and there's unnecessarily confrontational and insulting, and there are arguments that it really isn't worth getting into. This was almost certainly all three. That's about as much apology as I can manage at the moment, and that after considerable redrafting to take out all the cross bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louiseh wrote:
OK.

Sorry.

Big kudos for apologizing for. It takes a big person to apologize on the anonymous internet, especially when your badge says "never wrong"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.