Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to my very first BGG review!

Humans!!! is a standalone product from Twilight Creations Inc that is compatible with their flagship series, Zombies!!! The main difference being that instead of controlling a shotgun guy trying to escape a zombie infested city, well you’re the Zombies. So is it any good?

Components

Twilight Creations Inc is known for stuffing their games chock full of minis and cards. Humans!!! is no exception. The game comes with 60 zombie minis, a baggie full of 60 human minis, 2 D6 Dice, some cardboard tokens and a few decks of cards ranging in size (from tiles to small cards). The level of detail in the zombie miniatures is fantastic. These are the best yet from TCI. I really love the musician zombie and the lawyer.

The cardstock feels a little flimsy (especially the wound and capture decks), but they will certainly last a long time. I really don’t like the tokens though. The re-roll tokens are a drab gray and the broken barricade tokens are hard to see when placed on tiles. However, the artwork on the cards is stellar (as usual for this series). I really love the work that Dave Aikens has done throughout this franchise and Humans!!! is a thematically pretty game. Overall the components are pretty solid given the $25-$35 price tag.

Rules

Twilight Creations Inc has taken a lot of flack for their rulebooks in the past, but I felt Humans!!! had a good rulebook. It has a few examples, and its pretty clear…I didn’t need to hop on the Geek for any clarifications…so that’s always good. Of course it helps that I’m familiar with the Zombie series. It would be nice to see them spend a little more time producing a more thorough rulebook (possibly in color). Just to be safe I think first time players should print out the FAQS found on the company’s website.

Gameplay

So how does this sucker play? To be honest the game is much more involving than Zombies!!! You place a map tile, move all your zombies accordingly and try to either eat or infect humans. The first player to reach their “captured human” goal wins. Of course the events cards are back to help out everyone at the table.

The big twist in Humans!!! is that other players will be arming normally helpless humans with weapons. If humans successfully attack a player’s Zombie they can either wound or kill it! It’s a superb mechanic because it keeps you involved and paying attention during other player's turns. I also like this element since you can only play one card per round and you really have to figure out if you are going to help out yourself or hinder an opponent. Another new mechanic is how you have to roll to break down barriers to enter buildings. While its luck based (unless you have a card) it adds another small wrinkle into this seemingly simple game.

I’m not going to lie, watching your zombie army grow through infections, warms the cockles of my twisted heart. Its so much fun to watch your handful of zombies eventually turn into a city wide plague! Plus seeing all those minis perfectly captures the theme. Played with the right group it can be very entertaining.

I noticed that the more you play the more you figure out subtle strategies. For instance you learn quickly to corner/swarm humans so that they can’t escape capture. The more I played it, the more I liked it. Just as it was about to wear out its welcome the game came to an end (about 65 minutes).

My only real complaint is the lack of tension in the end game. In Zombies!!! once the helipad hits the table its on. People will do anything to prevent you from getting to that helipad alive. In Humans!!! all you can really do is hope to get some weapons to keep people from reaching their victory points. I would have liked to seen more event cards that really screwed over your opponents. Hopefully the game does well enough to warrant an expansion because I would love to see what else Twilight Creations could do with the Humans!!! brand.

Verdict

Humans!!! probably won’t convert the Zombies!!! haters, but its still a nice effort from Twilight Creations. There is more to do in this game but the reliance on die rolls and event cards will probably annoy some gamers. I still had fun with Humans!!! and I can’t wait to play it a few more times. The rules for the combined game with Zombies!!! look terrific and I’m dying to try that out. If you’ve never tried a Twilight Creations Inc game, this would be a good start. It’s a simple and satisfying beer and pretzels game that I found quite enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thank you for being the person that finally reviewed this game! Your review was very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this one completely went under the radar for me. Glad to hear they added a twist to the line (I stopped looking at the expansions after picking up Zombie Corps(e)), but this one might need to be acquired. Thanks for the review!thumbsupzombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone ahead and actually upgrade my score from from

to

I've played the game a few more times and it's proven to be a winner with my group. My comment about the endings not being as tense are completely false. We've had some crazy nail biters and there have been some excellent last minute comebacks. Humans!!! might actually be a tiny bit better than Zombies!!! and I think overall I prefer it to Twilight Creations flagship game. If you're looking for a silly and fun game from Twilight Creations Inc, I think it's the best one that they offer...I'm very much looking forward to the expansion to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.