Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, last night before hitting the bars, as it was a Saturday night among college students, some friends ended up at my place. I had been trying to convince them to play a boardgame with me, preferably one of the two that I had just received in the mail from Boards and Bits. Race for the Galaxy was pretty much off the table, as was Descent: Journeys into the Dark, as they seemed simply too complicated for these non-gamer types. My copy of War of the Ring was also not going to see play among 4 people who had barely played anything other than Monopoly, so I busted out my German copy of Settlers...

I previously lived and studied in Germany for a year, which incidentally started my whole boardgame craze. I happened to walk into my common area in the student apartment building where I was living in Munich and stumbled upon 4 German dudes playing what looked like a rather complicated game. They explained the rules to me (luckily this was towards the end of my year-long stay so my German was quite good) and I got to play my first ever game of The Settlers of Catan, the only game I had played outside of traditional American fare (Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble, etc.).

The next week I went out and grabbed a copy of the game for myself and converted a few other international students into gamers. Upon return to the states, a "legitimate" German copy of the game, published by Kosmos was an awesome souvenir. Lucky for me, Settlers doesn't rely very heavily on text at all so I am actually able to play it with friends here.

Anyways, back to the session report, because you all are dying to find out who won yet another game of Siedler! So we're all sitting in my kitchen, and after suggesting all my hardcore geek type games, they picked Settlers because I had taught two of them how to play about a week ago on a friend's English-language copy, and one had actually played with me in Germany while visiting. I'm sure you don't care who won (me...man Cities and cards work well as a strategy when you are sitting on tons of sheep/wheat/stone!), but the game itself was quite hilarious in translation.

The "Entwicklungskarten" - I honestly don't know how they translated them in the English version only having played the game once in English, (growth cards? development cards?) were pretty hilarious with a bunch of non-gamer, non-German speakers. At one point the music major ends up singing out a "Erfindung" card to the tune of a Bach song, as this is how he has learned all his 'non-existent' German (though for not really knowing anything, his accent is pretty damn good). I quickly translate it as taking two resource cards of your choice from the deck.

The "Baukosten" cards listing building costs were a continual source of amusement, as I had to constantly remind them that it was not a Strabe, but that the "ß" in "Straße" sounds like "ss" making the word "Strasse" and not "Strabe", and that therefore the "Längste Handelstraße" card sounds like "Laehngstah Handlestrahsuh" not "Langst Handlestrabe" (or again, they could just say "Longest Street").

"I'd like to build two Strabes please."
"It's not 'Strabe' dude, say it like 'Strah-suh' - or you could just say street..."
"Yeah whatever, I'll put my two Strabes here and here."

Even though they were non-gamers, they really seemed to love Settlers, to the point of asking for it by name, and I got a few lulz out of the pronunciation. This was the first "real" game the two new players had gotten to have, and I think it was totally enjoyable for them. Everybody seemed to be having fun and when I saw everybody today, they asked to play again and mentioned that they "totally going to get obsessed with that game." YES! Maybe I can convert them into gaming geeks! Though I think the jump from Siedler to Descent is going to take a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
letired wrote:
"It's not 'Strabe' dude, say it like 'Strah-suh' - or you could just say street..."

Actually more like 'see' with a very short 'e'. You can listen to it here: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=wlqAU.&search=Stra%DFe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lydon wrote:

Actually more like 'see' with a very short 'e'. You can listen to it here: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=wlqAU.&search=Stra%DFe

Ich kann schon Deutsch ;) Es ist leichter für die Amis "suh" statt "see mit kurzem e" zu sagen; wenn ein Amerikaner, der kein Deutsch kann, das Wort so ausspricht, klingt es richtig gut!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. I own the travel-edition in german and I also found out that it is more fun in its original language (maybe because all the people I played the game with speak pr0n style german , thanks to Hans Teeuwen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr Thijs wrote:
Welcome to BGG. I own the travel-edition in german and I also found out that it is more fun in its original language (maybe because all the people I played the game with speak pr0n style german :), thanks to Hans Teeuwen)

Haha! The extent of German language training in most of my friends consists of the German nihilists in The Big Lebowski, very similar to your friends pr0n style Deutsch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
At one point the music major ends up singing out a "Erfindung" card to the tune of a Bach song, as this is how he has learned all his 'non-existent' German (though for not really knowing anything, his accent is pretty damn good).

Same with my wife when she sings Opera. You'd think she was fluent but to her it's all sound without meaning! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.