Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After cutting our teeth on Agincourt, I wanted to unleash the full fury of BattleLore and show my wife the glorious benefits of Lore! We own both Battle Cry and Memoir 44, so the game mechanics were a breeze. The reference cards were essential for understanding the different weapon types, and after a few battles the rules became second nature. My wife's English archers pulled out a last minute victory, but just barely.

I decided to skip to the first Lore adventure (#5) and began reading the rules and organizing the Lore cards. It was at this point that I decided to ignore the recommended setup and utilize a full level one war council (sans the guest and creature)!shake I mean, why limit the fun and withhold a majority of the beautiful Lore cards from play? We had a blast and can't wait to play again.

My question is; how serious of a sin did we commit?devil We dealt 5 command cards and allowed two lore cards. I can't get too concerned about historical accuracy in a game that features dwarves riding dairy cows in one of it's expansions, so I think it's best to keep things balanced and utilize all of the games best assets to maximize the fun factor.laugh Is there a point to limiting the number of council members, other than creating a confusing lore card deck with more rules? Will Richard Borg send some board gaming thugs donning slide rulers out to our house to help us see the error of our ways?robot

I couldn't have screwed up that badly, because my wife is going out today to buy some fake plastic jewels to adorn her Lore cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Marcotte
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipping adventures definitely isn't a sin if the people playing don't feel overwhelmed by the collection of new rules used in doing so.

BattleLore was:

1) Designed to be modular and customizeable. This enhances the replayability. What you did is exactly what you should've done. You played the game just how you wanted to and you had a great time doing so.

and

2) Created with a scenario book that utilized incremental rule-sets. If you play the scenarios in order with the recommendations as written, you will slowly integrate one or two new features into the game at every level. This can help some people who don't feel comfortable adding a lot of new things at once. (And it's especially useful for people just picking up the game for the first time who don't have anyone there to explain it to them)

So in skipping scenarios or adding something to scenarios, there might be a risk of the people playing getting confused and deciding that they don't like the game. That's a much smaller risk with someone who knows the game playing with them, but it's one you took (probably a very small one if your wife is a quick-learning gamer) and came out on top!

Congratulations to you and a big "Welcome to BattleLore!" to your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you did just right!

But beware the Borg!

You will be assimilated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me like you did exactly what the game is designed to do. As mentioned above the scenarios are a build up to using and learning all the rules in the game. However they all work perfectly well using a full set of rules and lore council starting with the first scenario. I have played and replayed all the scenarios using the recommended setup as well as the full lore council. Your right on track!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing what has already been said: no wrong way to play the adventures, lots of "official" alternate ways of playing any adventure, each providing a twist of constraints and possibilities that make for interesting game play. Not to mention custom rules and the promise of future releases.

LoweringTheBar wrote:
Is there a point to limiting the number of council members, other than creating a confusing lore card deck with more rules?

By allotting a set number of tokens for the war council, the game creates interesting matchups. When constructing the War Council, the dynamics of Command vs. Lore (placing more on the Commander vs other lore masters) and depth vs. breadth (placing on several or all the lore masters vs. stacking up on one) again allow for a variety of play. The resulting council compositions of the player further enhances the variety. Match-ups like Wizard against Cleric, Warrior against Cleric, etc, can completely change the complexion of an adventure.

I've settled on playing the typical six level war council and tend to comprise it of a level 2 commander (level 1 if taking a creature), level 3 lore master (typically Wizard), and level 1 lore master (either the Warrior or Rogue). I certainly switch things around often though, as I enjoy playing out the different combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
griton wrote:
there might be a risk of the people playing getting confused and deciding that they don't like the game.

I have found this exact thing. Even if I were teaching a hard-core gamer, I would start w/ Agincourt, and I would skip both morale and follow-on actions for the first battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.