Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Session [+] GMT [+] Images [+] [View All]
David Perez
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've posted my first attempt at a walkthrough for the vietnam missions, trying to detail the both the strategy and the game mechanics.

Vietnam missions require a lot more planning since the LZ is limited, not all your forces are availabe instantly not too many you can retreat to. You can check it out here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/38617

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truly excellent, thanks for posting it, David.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What an amazing document! Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David -- I'm not sure what you meant by this line regarding command and cover:

Quote:
The RSP can be used early on to make all my units seek cover, since they will be exposed . This will make them harder to command in the future as command does not extend into cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagines hes using a Pyro to get units to seek cover when exposed. Which fragments your ability to subsequently give them orders due to communication restraints i.e. Units in cover not being in visual/verbal command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perez
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
David -- I'm not sure what you meant by this line regarding command and cover:
Quote:
The RSP can be used early on to make all my units seek cover, since they will be exposed . This will make them harder to command in the future as command does not extend into cover.

Red Star Parachute (RSP), is a pyrotechnic that is launched in the air vs smoke in the ground. Because its in the air everyone can see it (LOS) so everyone is forced to take the action.

Units on different cover markers in the same card are not in visual-verbal communication. So if two squads are under 2 different cover markers you would have, to spend 1 point to move between cover markers to issue orders (most likely the PLT HQ). Since moving between markers leaves you exposed (good luck infiltrating between with a green HQ), its hard to coordinate everyone.

Since the command is seek to cover instead of move to cover, every unit will search for cover on its on and will not share, even if a unit in the same card has successfully found cover... remember one command per pyrotechnic. So this adds extra turns to reorganize everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in getting this game, but your walkthrough left me on the fence.

It all seemed alittle complicated, but more importantly, I'm concerned about my chances to succeed. I mean I don't mind spending hours on playing, but I would like to win and preferably often.

How often does the game come down hard on you? I mean even from the initial phases, you kept saying how fortunate you were.....then it looks like the **** hit the fan and you had no chance of success. Is that common?

Is it because of poor tactics (which looked ok to me) or you had so many green troops? Or the enemy was just out for blood that session. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I've never really had this come up much. Usually a single squad will move into a new card, find cover, and then others will move or infliltrate to that same cover. I rarely find I have multiple units on a card seeking separate cover positions. Even if I did have several units on the card, I'd probably spend an action to have a unit find it, and then an action to have the others move to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could help yourself win by having the enemy as green troops, not my thing but it'd certainly work.

It's a tough game you need a good grasp of tactics to win, the "AI" is pretty darn good and will certainly provide a challenge and at times possibly a complete massacre. I don't think you'd be in a situation of investing hours and then losing and being worried about it. The enemy forces will kill you off alot earlier in the game if you play badly....so just reaching say turn 10 and losing means you must have done a half decent job hanging in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great walkthrough David. And it could be very helpfull for me if it was done on the first mission in Normandy. Unfortunately i have already too much to fight with rules on a simple mission to be able to try to understand one with complicated thing like helicopters and so on... Why didnt You do the same thing with a very simple mission ? I think it could help so many people around. I know there are 2 exemples allready on the first mission. Both are great but the first is only limited to the first turn wich is quite not enough to understand the game.. and the second one is not that easy to follow as it includes many comments from everybody between each step and the format is not very easy to read. A format like Yours would be great for a complete simple mission. I wish You have the courage to do this to help us who are drown in the swamp of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perez
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've gotten better, but the Vietnam mission I'm playing is one of the harder type missions in the game. This nail bitting challenge of never feeling safe makes, it hard and unique every time.The vietnam and korea missions are more traditional, so they have an easier learning curve and somewhat less luck.

1] You don't have an assembly point, your units will have to trickle on to the map via the LZ. Since you need more room to land more waves, you are forced to move out and make contact... and possibly face a huge attack, without having enough on the ground for an effective counter attack. Also I've been learning how to organize my troops better and using secondary LZs.

2]Contact markers. First German WW2 mission is use 4 A, 4B and 4C face up. The vietnam was to shuffle all 16 A, 16B, 16C and place them face down. One time i was lucky and hit 1B and 3Cs of the LZ, another time I hit 2As and a B and was fighting to survive; So this mission has lots of variability...

3]Enemy generation, for example the first WW2 mission generates enemies to front left, front or front right. While in Vietnam they can tunnel, sneak and hide in any direction. There really is no "front". This increases the difficulty. As I've had the VC have tunnels into my LZ and surprise the second wave.

4]The VC in this mission are all veterans, which makes them harder to kill, especially since most of your company starts out green on the first mission.

5]Lastly, when playing FoF you have to learn to accept casualties. This is the hardest part for me, the concept of having acceptable losses and simply focus completing the objective. I tend to try to save every unit. Once you learn to never give you you'll be surprised what you can accomplish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perez
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
Interesting. I've never really had this come up much. Usually a single squad will move into a new card, find cover, and then others will move or infliltrate to that same cover. I rarely find I have multiple units on a card seeking separate cover positions. Even if I did have several units on the card, I'd probably spend an action to have a unit find it, and then an action to have the others move to it.

Remember in Vietnam you have 40mm grenade launchers (G! superscript), allowing you to shot grenades to adjacent cards (Close range), and most enemies have RPGs as well.

[5.2.3]
Remember for every step above 3, each step gets a -1 NCM penalty to incoming and grenade attacks.

And grenade attacks must target a specific unit or cover marker [6.5].

So under my system I have 2, 3 step units, under different markers. One gets hit by a grenade and has a -3 applied, and has +1 for cover. For -2

Your system you have 2, 3 step units on the same cover maker. The cover maker gets hits by a grenade affecting both units, -3 for grenade, -3 for overstacking and +1 for cover. For -5.

So now you have 2 units (6 steps) with a -5 NCM, while I have 1 unit (3 steps) with a -2 NCM.

Its a trade off between able to retain more command abilities vs vulnerability.

PS. Concentrate fire also applies to cover makers....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Glen. I think I will purchase this real soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek
Poland
Rzeszow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have played wrong 3.3.2.C section in all turns. Company Staff doesn't draw for initiative. Both CO XO and 1st Sgt just get 1 point if not activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.