Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was taught to play cribbage (or crib as it was most frequently referred to) by my grandmother and my father (her son).

What I was taught (and this is how I play with my wife) was that the deck was only shuffled at the very start of the game.

At the end of a hand, the cards played go on top of the deck, and the player who just had the box then cuts the cards, and thus can by cutting very high or very low, choose to repeat some of those cards, though they will be split up by alternate deal from the way they were placed on the deck.

However, pagat.com and the description on the main game page here both say that the deck is shuffled between hands, not just between games.

Has anyone else heard of playing this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I've ever heard of your way of playing before. We've always shuffled between hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Johnson
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always shuffled between hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limey Sponge wrote:
We have always shuffled between hands.

Ditto.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Us too, we shuffle between hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually shuffle between hands but my father shuffles the deck then deals all the cards over four hands, putting each hands discards in a discard pile. Since 6 cards x 2 + the cut card = 13 x 4 = 52 it comes out even and uses all the cards in the deck. I've played this way a few times but it requires a certain amount of card counting. On the last hand you should know what the other person has in their hand. I consider it advanced play.

Since the cut is a very specific event in cribbage, it should only be done once per hand IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BashiBazouk wrote:
Since the cut is a very specific event in cribbage, it should only be done once per hand IMO.

There is 'cutting' as part of the shuffling process (i.e. *before* the deal) and 'cutting' after the cards have gone into the crib which is, as you say, a very specific event.
How I've always been taught is this;

- Dealer shuffles deck
- Passes deck to player on LHS (opponent in 2-player game!) who cuts the deck.
- Dealer takes the bottom half and deals the hands, remainder goes on top of the bit that was cut.
- Selected cards go into the 'crib'.
- Player on RHS of dealer cuts deck, dealer turns up 'common' card, RH player replaces 'cut' half.
- Play continues as normal.

It all sounds very complex (it isn't really!) but that's how we always do it.

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't know if it's official but we were always told that, if you offered the cut before dealing, your opponent could steal the crib from you and begin dealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BashiBazouk wrote:
I usually shuffle between hands but my father shuffles the deck then deals all the cards over four hands, putting each hands discards in a discard pile. Since 6 cards x 2 + the cut card = 13 x 4 = 52 it comes out even and uses all the cards in the deck. I've played this way a few times but it requires a certain amount of card counting. On the last hand you should know what the other person has in their hand. I consider it advanced play.

I am impressed, but a little bit confused on how this works. What are the "discards" and do you get to see them? I would miss the whole tactile experience of handling the cards, but it would be interesting to try sometime.

apecage wrote:
I really don't know if it's official but we were always told that, if you offered the cut before dealing, your opponent could steal the crib from you and begin dealing.

While this is a little bit extreme, it seems that many people I play with have a similar varient to offering the cut. Usually it's like 10 points or something. (so maybe giving up a crib would be less punishing) It's rarely enforced, but most people I play with mention it if the cut is offered. I've never understood why offering the cut is taboo, but I have met many people who feel that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rodd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just thought I'd add here (some years later!) that I've been playing cribbage for 40+ years and also learned that you only shuffle once at the start of the game (though of course you cut for every hand) - reason being that this introduces an additional element of skill inn terms of discovering and then retaining knowledge of how the deck is arranged during a game - which makes the cut all the more interesting - here's my hand I'd like to cut a three - we were playing threes two hands aago, so I'll cut roughly here...

And if all the Cribbage Association Rules do specify shuffling before every hand, then I think that makes for a game with a larger random element and removes the aspect of skill I've tried to dsescribe above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.