P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter Spielbany is a two-day event. On the second day, I got Three in a row on the table. (See also my first-day playtest of Chicane.)

In this game, players put cards in a tableaux so as to make three or more suit symbols in a row. Players select cards simultaneously, and rank determines order of play. If two players put down cards of the same rank, then their card is deferred; they set it aside to play in a later turn. This can create a power-play situation in which a player can place several cards in rapid succession: Deferred cards plus their newly played card.

Complete rules are here: http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/decktet/threeinarow.php

Four people played and I watched.

Although they finished the hand, nobody seemed eager to play another. Gil described the game as lacking "pop."

The final scores were: Maya 9, Josh 7, Joe 7, and Gil 6. This is a game that is prone to tied scores, but there was a clear victor this time. The winning player managed to score multiple points on several turns by finishing lines of suits in multiple directions at once. Partly, she was lucky to have gotten good cards-- but she also did a good job of recognizing scoring opportunities.

As it stands, this is mostly a game of pattern recognition: seeing where there are lines to be exploited.

Two possible changes:

1. The last several turns involve little room for choice, because players only have two cards to choose from on the penultimate turn and have only one card to play on the final turn. This could be alleviated by making a hand fill a 5x5 grid rather than a 6x6 grid. The grid would be finished before the deck ran out.

This change would make each hand play a little more quickly.

2. Josh suggested that, instead of having any line score 1 point, a line could score as many points as the rank of the lowest card in a line. This would allow for more strategy: It would matter more which line you score in and which cards you use to score in it. It would also allow you to poison a line by placing a low-ranked card in it, reducing the value for anyone else.

Along with this change, perhaps low-ranked cards should place first-- rather than letting high-ranked cards place first as in the present rules.

Both of these changes are untested. It's three months until the next Spielbany, so I need to find some guinea pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
So that was the working title for Thricewise?!
Would have made my attempts to decrypt it easier... =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
So that was the working title for Thrincewise?!

Thricewise (without an 'N') but yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.