Subject: Minor language note: Is "African-American" fading in usage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the build-up to Obama's election and the intervening time to his inauguration, I've noticed a curious trend - and perhaps it's just me. In references to him that also include his ethinicity, probably eight of ten times he's called "black", instead of "African-American". Just curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. I haven't watched the larger trend, though, to see if "-American" is being dropped after Asian, Hispanic, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hearing African American used a lot between last night and this morning. My sample is about eight hours of network and cable news coverage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happily, the PC movement has been dying away slowly. Which I find to be a good thing since it was 1) fairly silly in the first place 2) a reason to avoid talking about real issues by instead focusing on labels instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Michael Jackson is the perfect example of African American fading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all depends on what network/anchor/reporter you are watching.

Personally, I have always preferred "black" to "African American." But what do I know. Until last month, I never knew that "Oriental" was considered a poor choice for those who I am apparently supposed to call "Asians."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer OQ, "I certainly hope so!"

I would be sick and tired of being called an British-German-Scandanavian-American or a European-American and I really don't see how African-American would be any better.

Black seems to work, although as a fantasy figure in a (possibly Mercedes Lackey) book said, it's a misnomer. Black is the lack of color and black people are the most colorfully diverse people around.

My favorite PC-ism on African-American was when a skating announcer said Surya Bonale was a French African-American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
African American is silly.

There are a number of Jamaicans that I work with that aren't particularly African.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
African American is silly.

There are a number of Jamaicans that I work with that aren't particularly African.

I think there is a one degree of separation rule. My mothers family are of dutch descent that migrated to South Africa. They don't consider themselves Dutch but Afrikaners.

Jamaicans would be Jamaican.

However this blows up here. As I am not an Afrikaner American, I'm just a Caucasian American.

So does "Caucasian" denotes lineage, color? It's all very confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So I'm not a Cracker-American...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
An African friend liked to remind Americans that he was not an African American, just an African
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked with one of the guys who works here.

He is dual citizen to Africa and America. And he's a white dude.

What does he get to be called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I just checked with one of the guys who works here.

He is dual citizen to Africa and America. And he's a white dude.

What does he get to be called?

Well you could call him Shirley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
'African-American' makes it sound like you're trying too hard. 'Black' is just as inaccurate, but hell, it's shorter.

And I'm an expert on this. To quote a great philosopher, I've fucked more black guys than FEMA.

Wow.

How is 'Black' inaccurate? Should they be called 'Browns'. This whole issue on what to call the different races is ridiculous. How 'bout American (if you are born here or have taken legal steps to become American). To me black, white, etc.. is just a more detail description of the an American when they've commited a crime - otherwise what difference does it make what color or ethnic back ground a person is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Really! One wants to be respectful and inoffensive. But it is increasingly difficult to know what the correct term is at the moment.

Recently in a post I had cause to denote black people, any black people anywhere. I was about to say African American but to my geeky mind that made no sense at all. Thinking about it I didn't know what the analogous term to caucasian was for black people. I hit the Interweb to find out what the correct term was. My research came up with negroid.

Boy was I slammed down. Though it didn't occur to me at the time, I suppose it is because it sounds too much like negro or the worse ni--er. But isn't my usage just like the silly controversies surrounding the word niggardly. It has nothing at all to do with ni--er. It means "stingy" or "miserly." That it sounds like the epithet in question is entirely coincidental.

I was told here that the best term is black, and yet most people I come across who are not American, don't particularly appreciate the term black.

I just wish it would be settled once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Really! One wants to be respectful and inoffensive. But it is increasingly difficult to know what the correct term is at the moment.

Recently in a post I had cause to denote black people, any black people anywhere. I was about to say African American but to my geeky mind that made no sense at all. Thinking about it I didn't know what the analogous term to caucasian was for black people. I hit the Interweb to find out what the correct term was. My research came up with negroid.

Boy was I slammed down. Though it didn't occur to me at the time, I suppose it is because it sounds too much like negro or the worse ni--er. But isn't my usage just like the silly controversies surrounding the word niggardly. It has nothing at all to do with ni--er. It means "stingy" or "miserly." That it sounds like the epithet in question is entirely coincidental.

I was told here that the best term is black, and yet most people I come across who are not American, don't particularly appreciate the term black.

What are they referred to in Canada. African Canadians, African Canooks, or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are Blacks called in Africa: African-Africans?
What are Whites called in Africa: American-Africans?
What are Whites born in Africa now living in the US called: American-African-Americans?
What are Blacks born in America now living in Africa called: African-American-Africans?
What are whites born in America now living in the US called: American-American-Americans?

Labels!? yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell even calling someone from the USA an American is silly because someone from Brazil is still from South American, so technically an American. So weird, we usa-ers, need a better identifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Hell even calling someone from the USA an American is silly because someone from Brazil is still from South American, so technically an American. So weird, we usa-ers, need a better identifier.

That's why picking a name for a country is just as important as picking the right name for a baby. Shouldn't be something long and complex like "The United States" and shouldn't rhyme with "butt".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
Quote:

Wow.

How is 'Black' inaccurate? Should they be called 'Browns'. This whole issue on what to call the different races is ridiculous. How 'bout American (if you are born here or have taken legal steps to become American). To me black, white, etc.. is just a more detail description of the an American when they've commited a crime - otherwise what difference does it make what color or ethnic back ground a person is.

Hey, I'd love to live in a world where people's skin color wasn't an issue. But unfortunately, there are countless situations where people want to know what color the person was, for reasons noble, malicious, or pointless. It doesn't seem to be going away any time soon, so let's find the most painless way to deal with it and move on.

Which brings me back to my point. Black, White, etc.. are the descriptive elements - African American is just stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once read many years ago that the correct term should be Sub-Saharan-American.

The same article mentioned that the correct term for North American Indians, also known as Native Americans, should be Siberian-American.

I've also heard the term Halfrican-American.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halfrican%20A...

Apparently, the term Afro-American was used immediately before African American. Justice Thurgood Marshall used this term, but critics thought that it sounded too much like a group of people bonded together by a common hair style. Thus this term was given the Shaft.

Certainly no offense intended...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What are Whites called in Africa: American-Africans?

I think you might call them a minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
isaacc wrote:

What are they referred to in Canada. African Canadians, African Canooks, or what?

We call them friend as we do all our melting pot brothers and sisters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Dad's a retired high school teacher. After retiring he taught in a university teacher-certification program for a few years, placing student teachers in his former district. After that he worked part-time consulting for a textbook publisher. His students of color (teenage and adult) and colleagues in the field of education have been telling him "black" for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
isaacc wrote:
My research came up with negroid. Boy was I slammed down.

My research suggests that the correct term for you is "idiot". Hope that helps.
Sigh. Way to constructively add to the discussion there David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lil li
msg tools
mbmb
hibikir wrote:
An African friend liked to remind Americans that he was not an African American, just an African

DUUUUUUDE! my brother-in-law is African. His name is Kwame. Maybe your friend knows him!

please please realize that I'm making a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.