Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night Scott and I were staying in, enjoying a quiet evening before today's inaugural excitement. I suggested we enjoy some games, and pulled out all of our 2-player options, and gave him first pick. He wanted to try Carcassonne, because it's been awhile.

We play with the River expansion, so we ran through those tiles first and then got into the thick of things.

Scott appeared to be taking the early lead (as much as you can in this game), by starting a large castle with shields in it, also slapping down the first Farmer in an unobstructed area. I countered with a medium-sized castle of my own (upper right in the photo, pardon the glare), but I had some ground to make up.

The tide turned pretty quickly just based on dumb luck - I managed to draw almost every one of the Cloisters, and was able to fill around each one quickly, getting a lot of points for Monks. Then we were both able to latch onto each other's big castles, so those ended up being a wash.

The clincher for me was managing to get down a Farmer and then connect the green space I was on with the existing mega-farm that Scott had claimed. Neither of us could gain supremacy over that farm, so by game's end we both got the points (Farmers are still placed on the image above).

We raced through the final tiles, neither of us able to get down all of our meeple reserves. We tallied the final scores, and I edged Scott out for the win - 127 to 106. It was the highest scoring game we've ever had, perhaps because we usually play more defensively? It was a good time, and Scott started making a batch of brownies while I set up for our next game - Jambo. Check out part 2 of my session reports there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'm glad you're enjoying Carcassonne. But FYI...Check the rules again for placing the river. It's not allowed to flow back up, so I believe that U-bend you created on the right of the screen is illegal. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've wondered about that - it's been a point of discussion every time we play. Our interpretation of the rule was that it couldn't be an immediate u-turn - in other words if it went one tile farther out then it's OK to head the other direction.

Can anyone out there clarify on that rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
We've wondered about that - it's been a point of discussion every time we play. Our interpretation of the rule was that it couldn't be an immediate u-turn - in other words if it went one tile farther out then it's OK to head the other direction.

Can anyone out there clarify on that rule?

OK, so you made me check the rules section here on BGG for the River Expansion. It appears we've hit on something that is in great debate over there. Some argue one side and some the other. So I guess nothing wrong took place and you can play by whichever interpretation you choose. I doubt it will make any significant difference in the actually gameplay, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Cool, I'm glad you're enjoying Carcassonne. But FYI...Check the rules again for placing the river. It's not allowed to flow back up, so I believe that U-bend you created on the right of the screen is illegal. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know.

The U-bend is legal. What is not legal (or actually discouraged, we tempt fate often with it) is doing the U-bend without a tile in-beetween the two turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "spirit" of the rule is to prevent the scenario where you draw a river tile and there's no legal placement (i.e. it would flow into a field or something). A U-turn that's separated by one or more straights makes this likely, so I don't usually disallow those.
Anyway you didn't get into that "no valid placement" scenario so all is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.