Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Producers is a variant I created that lets each player take on the role of a different type of producer, giving the player a special ability throughout the game.

I uploaded a file containing 10 different producer roles.

For example, the Schmoozer gets to increase his chances of getting someone he needs for a movie by adding another tile to the party when it's his turn to pick. Any player that goes after him will also have one extra tile to choose from (whatever the Schmoozer didn't take), and the uncollected tile goes back to the supply when the party space is resolved.

The Money, on the other hand will generally have a few more contracts to use for bidding at various points in the game (and he can sometimes plan on bidding a little higher, knowing if his bid wins, there will be an odd number of leftover contracts that he will get after everyone splits up the winning bid).

The roles will give players specific strategies to follow in some cases, or a little edge when they need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! I thought this would be a variant where the players try to come up with the worst movies, so they can bilk the investors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Damn! I thought this would be a variant where the players try to come up with the worst movies, so they can bilk the investors!

Yup, that's what I was expecting, too. Were I to make a custom set, I'd have to include a film version of Springtime for Hitler.

Interesting ideas, though.

Money is mighty powerful if, as you seem to describe, they can collect leftover contracts even from their own winning bid. They could easily get more back than the other players who did not win the bid. How has it worked in practice? Do players adjust the bid values to avoid leftovers? (I rather like how players usually bid with leftovers, so that they have a better chance of getting one of those contracts back on a later turn.)

Also, I'm not sure how Mover & Shaker works. Specifically, when do you get to look? Looking at the tiles of the space preceeding a party doesn't seem like much of an advantage, but perhaps I am missing something. It might affect your bidding in the space before that, but it does not make it easier to get the tiles in the previewed space.

What combinations have you been able to pit against each other so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mover and Shaker looks at the spaces at any time (generally at the start of the round for the first space, and then half way through for the second one). It's definitely a nice way to gauge what other spaces to try and bid high on.... but also a good way to bluff the other players.

The Money does pretty well on some rounds, and on others, he doesn't get anything. I've found he mostly ends up picking up one contract more than other denominations, but that may be because we're thinking ahead when he's in the game, knowing that certain bids divide up evenly amongst the others (leaving The Money with nothing). I can't say it's been more or less powerful than any of the other roles.

When I first unleashed them on my fellow gamers, there were some statements of "oh, this one will be way more powerful than the others", but in practice they have balanced out very well. It forces everyone to pay more attention to what other people are bidding for. If you know one person can finish a movie if he gets that director, you re-evaluate whether or not you can use him.

Some of the Producers have more incentive to finish a lot of movies, and not worry as much about getting high-scoring movies. Others have a better shot at picking up awards at the end of the game. It's a nice change of pace to the game. I love Hollywood Blockbuster, and I also have a fun custom set I've made... this just changes things up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a pretty nifty idea. Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
How use the roles? How many for each player? We bid for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.