Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There are a number of microbadges that are 'contradictory' in the sense that there is a mismatch between their 'message' and the very ownership of that microbadge. Obvious examples are:
- - I Hate Microbadges; and
- - Luddite,
but there are other - less obvious examples as well. I'm thinking of cases like:
- - I save up for microbadges (having that microbadge means that you could have spend the 15GG on the microbadge you say you are saving for).
And then there are borderline cases, that are not really 'contradictory', but just a slight mismatch, a glitch, an oversight, or whatever one would like to call it. An example could be:
- - GeekGold Tipper (shouldn't a GG tipper spend his/her GG on tips instead of a microbadge?).
This last example is admittedly a borderline case, and should probably be excluded as an example of 'contradictory' microbadges in this sense.

Anyway, what all of this is about, is that I find these microbadges rather curious (and very chitchat-worthy) and that I was wondering whether there are other examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What I've noticed is that the more controversial badges don't seem to be selected...such as "gay"

I do see "Rainbow" under people's names, but I'm not sure if it is meant to designate the same thing.

There is still fear of stigma in the world.

There are several badges I thought of getting (thinks about the "I love Monopoly" badge... ), but wasn't sure if I would get negative feedback. BGG is supposed to be a fun place after all.

Heck, around 3am, I woke up thinking about the the thread I started about the little "hand" microbadge, and that people would think I was being arrogant or condescending to others...

I just thought it was a neat badge, because I'm a big fan of CM Punk and his "Straight Edge" lifestyle, *sigh* If someone hadn't responded, I was even thinking of deleting the thread to avoid issue.

Maybe I just take the Microbadges too seriously. I look at them as clothes that define the details of who we are on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I look at them as clothes that define the details of who we are on BGG.

The expession "the Emperor's new microbadges" just popped into my head on reading that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
What I've noticed is that the more controversial badges don't seem to be selected...such as "gay"

I'm not sure whether there really is that much hesitation about potentially controversial microbadges. The example you mention, 'gay', has 17 owners, and 'Bisexual' 3. What's controversial is rather different to different people with different backgrounds of course. How about the christian and atheist microbadges? Aren't they controversial?

heinrichsteven wrote:
I do see "Rainbow" under people's names, but I'm not sure if it is meant to designate the same thing.

It was intended to be, but I'm not sure whether all owners are aware of that.

heinrichsteven wrote:
There are several badges I thought of getting (thinks about the "I love Monopoly" badge... ), but wasn't sure if I would get negative feedback. BGG is supposed to be a fun place after all.

'Negative feedback' because of an 'I love monopoly' microbadge? That would surprise. But aside from that, if you can't express what's important to you, BGG is no fun place.
(Yes, I came to that conclusion before.)

heinrichsteven wrote:
Heck, around 3am, I woke up thinking about the the thread I started about the little "hand" microbadge, and that people would think I was being arrogant or condescending to others...

I just thought it was a neat badge, because I'm a big fan of CM Punk and his "Straight Edge" lifestyle, *sigh* If someone hadn't responded, I was even thinking of deleting the thread to avoid issue.

As long as you don't mind me curing my dry throat with sake, I don't mind your not doing so...

heinrichsteven wrote:
Maybe I just take the Microbadges too seriously. I look at them as clothes that define the details of who we are on BGG.

Yeah, that's why I deleted most of mine half a year ago. I prefer to be naked.

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Back on topic:

Lajos wrote:
And then there are borderline cases, that are not really 'contradictory', but just a slight mismatch, a glitch, an oversight, or whatever one would like to call it. An example could be:
- - GeekGold Tipper

Actually, this one may be more 'contradictory' than I thought. Several of its owners have not tipped even a single GG and several others have tipped very few. Two of the biggest tippers, Derk and Pete Belli both have the badge though, but several other big tippers, such as Grognads, do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
Well, steering away from controversial badges, one that I think is a prime example of the topic is my own design: We don't need no steenking microbadges!
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that 4 of the 6 owners don't appear to own any other steenking microbadges. In fact, one owner has shown a true commitment by not even displaying this badge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
heinrichsteven wrote:

The tag on the microbadge just reads "Rainbow," but that kind of rainbow is a US-centric sign indicating gay pride OR gay support. I am a strictly straight male, in support of gay rights, which is why I have the microbadge.

Of course, that's just my own take on it. Others may have it for different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to fit the bill:
Microbadges have jumped the shark

If they have, why would one buy it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:

Your not the only one Heinrich, thats exactly what I use mine to convey, who I am as a gamer and person .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

You forgot the Amish MB.

//Everyone always forget the Amish. A simple people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I thought Rainbow was an acceptance of all genders (all 12 of them, or whatever they're up to now).

I think lots of microbadges are chosen for their shape or appearance, rather than their meaning. The two "X" shaped microbadges in the original post might be just that to some, "X"'s. The GG tipper microbadge is just a coin. Perhaps people are collecting them to have the option of all X's or all circles under their avatar.

Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agentzen appears to be using them as letters. His microbadge row, right now, reads AARON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you've missed the most obvious one:

= Geekgold Hoarder

If you "hoard" geekgold, why are you spending it on this microbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

= Geekgold Hoarder

You could buy it with a microbadge christmasgift coupon I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzan wrote:
Blott wrote:

= Geekgold Hoarder

You could buy it with a microbadge christmasgift coupon I guess.

Yes, but a true hoarder would have auctioned their coupon off for additional geekgold they can hoard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
I think lots of microbadges are chosen for their shape or appearance, rather than their meaning. The two "X" shaped microbadges in the original post might be just that to some, "X"'s. The GG tipper microbadge is just a coin. Perhaps people are collecting them to have the option of all X's or all circles under their avatar.

Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agentzen appears to be using them as letters. His microbadge row, right now, reads AARON.

The same was also done by Heccubus to read LINCOLN:
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for Holmes! to make an appearance in this thread, forced to undergo his usual explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
This is about self-contradictory badges, not badges that contradict one another in juxtaposition. You won't see me post to this thr--d'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Gregarius wrote:
Reprint wrote:

Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The same was also done by Heccubus to read LINCOLN:
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb

*ahem*

(points to the left)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Clockmakers lie
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked 'B'I'GW'I'G' better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another one:

"We don't need no steenking microbadges!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my MB, and often wish we could display more.

I really enjoy that I am the only one with a few Microbadges ( Micropul ) -which seems weird,

I am very proud I got made

BBG4ever - why you ask, cause Derk bought one to ( although I guess if you own the site you can have all the GG you want - how cool is that ).

I have the The Dude Proudly displayed cause I am a stoner at heart!

So wait - people Horde GG - OK guy I know your all geeks, so lets figure out how to steal some of the horded GG for ourselves ( I want to be Mr. Black for the job )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
Wait, why do I have to be Mr. Pink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

heinrichsteven wrote:

It was intended to be, but I'm not sure whether all owners are aware of that.

I have friends in real life who wear "Rainbow" stuff to say the support gay equality even if they are not gay themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
I look at them as clothes that define the details of who we are on BGG.
Exactly!

BGG/Microbadge References/Microbadges are my virtual t-shirt

Meerkat wrote:
I have friends in real life who wear "Rainbow" stuff to say the support gay equality even if they are not gay themselves.
Wow. That would be nice. (Having friends in real life.)

Ok, really I do have some of those, but I live in another city now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Midjord Nielsen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:

The history of the rainbow flag, that I heard when I lived in San Francisco was, that originally it was the flag of San Francisco, because rainbows often appear in San Francisco (which I can confirm is true), due to frequently overcast weather/mist in the air over the city. Later the rainbow flag then became a symbol of the multiethnic nature of San Francisco, because a population of extremely mixed backgrounds congregated in connection with the Gold Rush and the laying of the transcontinental railroads. Later again, the meaning of the rainbow flag was 'abstractified' and became a symbol of tolerance in general, because of the coexistance over time of the multiethnic groups, but also social groups - as well as coming into more general use throughout California. This is then the meaning the rainbow flag had up until the late 60'ies, as far as I recall, when the first gay rights wave occurred, originating in San Francisco. During this, the rainbow flag was frequently used by gay rights activists as a symbol of tolerance, however, it came to be identified - whether deliberately or just through popular misunderstanding - with specifically gay rights, which is the meaning it is generally connected with today.

But as far I recall, the rainbow flag is actually still flown in California itself, as a symbol of tolerance in general (you certainly see it often on the back of cars, and there just aren't that many gays) - but actually also as symbol of love of nature/wanting to live more in harmony with nature (natural living including the connotation of tolerance, because of the Noble Savage tendencies of the New Age movement), because the symbol of the rainbow itself is something 'natural' (though a rainbow is not really organic, but is merely an optical illusion, made from refraction and photons - hee-hee ).

There you go, that's the explanation I remember!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.