Subject: Light Inf can evade Cav, really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right that the rules currently allow for all light infantry (with the exception of Auxilia) to evade cavalry, whether they be light, medium or heavy cav?

If so, does anyone know the rationale behind this? Of all the gameplay elements in this game, this is the most perplexing. In the tradition of battleground tactics, I would have thought cavarly (particularly light or medium) were supposed to be the 'rock' to the light infantry 'scissors'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/341684 for discussion on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I replied in that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they do under the current rules.

No, I can't explain the rationale, but I have no objection to it.

Notice, however, that Light Cavalry and Light Infantry, other than their movement and retreat distances, both fight the same way with equal force. Same dice, chances to hit, and Evade distances. Except that Light Infantry is a block stronger (when fresh and even at most times otherwise).

If Light Cavalry comes after my Light Infantry and offered evade room, I often decide _not_ to evade!

Both will probably not damage each other too much and the Infantry can take more hits than the Cav, so attrition is bad for the Cav. A lucky throw of two Banners will often destroy Light Cavalry, while light infantry still has a good chance of sticking around while moving out of range of the Cavalry. So Cav lose on that score, too.

If attacked by Medium Cavalry or heavier, sure, I evade if I can. Typically, one LI block will be lost with no chance for a battle back.

Light Cavalry and/or Medium Cavalry units with an attached Leader that can maneuver around Light Infantry and cut off the Evade/Retreat routes... Bad news for the Light Infantry! 50-66% chance on each die for a hit or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword of Gideon
msg tools
mbmbmb
What CC:A captures so brilliantly (and I do live in the hopes that one day Richard will "up the ante" a bit and include differing effects for Macedonian hoplites, "other" Hoplites, legionaries, etc, but Kevin, I know why he didn't and I'm still ultra cool with the game the way it is!) is also the psychology of the warfare of the day.

Cavalry were also extremely vulnerable to counterattack by enemy cavalry, and wouldn't necessarily be able to see what lay behind the enemy's battle lines. So much of this game is thematic (which is why we can't stop playing it at all hours), and to me, LI evasion is many things, as is infantry combat. I mean clearly infantry combat represents a clash of sarissas in one game, a manipular system with cohort replacement maneuvers in another, and so on. There are a great many instances of requiring the players to interpret results in a historical setting.

"This game is NOT to be taken literally" should be a warning on the box cover! (just kidding)

LI evasion is reluctance on the part of cavalry to pursue, or successful skirmishing leading to the stalling of a cavalry charge. Note the LI still moves back two spaces, and that is critical. You ultimately decide which type of battle they will fight, "evasion" or "clash of spears". You as the commander will have to "re-support" your line if the LI was holding down a flank, and if there is no card to allow me to order that LI next move, I may decide to have them stand and fight forward.

But at no time am I thinking of footmen outrunning horses. Think of the psychology of the cavalry captain, as he charges men who unleash a volley of javelins against his unarmoured horses and men. Not so easy, but the LI's suffer losses, which is why they fall back, and potentially lose blocks.

And if the LI are down to one or two blocks, evasion is often fatal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.