BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Newbie Gamer needs Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam E.
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
First of all, hi! I'm brand new to this site/forum. I've loved board games for as long as I can remember, but until recently I've mainly only been playing classic games and party games. We got Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan a few months ago, and I liked them a lot, but what really got me into it was getting Carcassonne for my birthday a few days ago. The game was fantastic, better than anything I had played before.

Anyways, I need recommendations for other games because I'm a newbie and have no idea where to start. Agricola looks a little too crazy for me just yet. I'd like 2-3 player games that are strategic and captivating, but still not too insane. I really like the tile-laying style of Carcassonne, but any kind of game is fine. I'm thinking of getting Pandemic and Power Grid next, since they both look like something I'd enjoy. I'll go for just about any kind of game within reason, really (besides maybe the really complex war games and such ).

So... recommend away! I'd love to hear your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheesh you make it tough you already picked the two i would suggest to buy. Add a multiplayer war game to that and your set. Other than that only you know your and your groups playing style and desires. Read the reviews people write on games, and do not just pick within the top 100, look in the top 600 or 1200 would be a better idea.

edit added word just
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! Even though you say any kind of game is fine, I would recommend trying to find a local gaming group to play with when you can so you get: 1. Experienced players who can help teach you new games. 2. The chance to learn new games to see what you like before buying (some board games can get rather spendy, no sence in spending too much for a game you may not even like) 3. New friends! I think my favorite aspect of gaming is the social aspect, and 99% of gamers I have met are good people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E.
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for your replies

And Sorrelbo, I would do that, but I live in a very small town and sadly there aren't any gaming groups here that I'm aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sophie,
At this stage I'd recommend looking at the top ranked games. I started off my interest in games with Catan and Carcassonne, then headed to the BGG top 100 to look at what other great games were available. To help, here's a brief summary of some of the top games that I'd recommend for a starter:

Powergrid: An auction game where players bid for powerplants, buy the fuel for their powerplant, buy connections to cities, and then power as many cities as they can to collect cash.

Tigris & Euphrates: A tile-laying game where you collect points in four different colours. At the end of the game the person with the most number of points in their 'worst colour' (ie: their lowest colour) wins...there is just no simple way to explain that...

El Grande: This is an 'area control game' where you move your little people/cubes around to control certain areas of Spain; you gain points by controlling areas and hope to gain the most points.

Pandemic: A cooperative game where you play a character (Medic, Scientist, etc) trying to race around the world, treat diseases, whilst also trying to collect a set of matching colour cards to find a cure.

Ra: A great little auction game where you bid to collect 'sets' of Ancient Egyptian tiles. It's quick, fun, tense, and easily recommendable.

1960 - The making of the President: Probably a little heavier, but not too heavy. It's a great two player 'card driven game' where you use a hand of cards to dictate a range of actions that your presidential candidate can perform.

Age of Empires III - a 'worker placement game' where each player takes turns to place a handful of colonists onto certain actions. The aim of the game is to build up a series of colonies, explore new land, and develop a trading operation in the 'new world'.

Stone Age: another fun 'worker placement game' where you play a Stone Age tribe. You need to populate ('make babies'), feed your people, collect resources, and construct buildings. It's easy, it's fun, and also easily recommendable for a newcomer.

Samurai: Umm...you place tiles to try to gain control of three 'resources'. This is similar in many abstract ways to Carcassonne. My wife and I both love it, it's easy, fun, and also recommended to newcomers.

There's a lot more out there, a LOT more, but that's just a brief glimpse of some of the games that I would personally recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, well that makes things a bit tougher. Try meetup.com, you may have luck finding a group that way. Do you have a FLGS (friendly local gaming store) near you? If so, inquire if they host gaming nights/groups. It is hard for me to make recommendations because while still fairly new to this, I enjoy a wide variety of games. I also went from playing Settlers at a friends house to joining a gaming group and playing Die Macher my first session. I would suggest Stone Age as it has a good mix of strategy and luck as the next game you may want to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
nastycleavage wrote:
and do not pick within the top 100, look in the top 600 or 1200 would be a better idea.

I don't know where nastycleavage was getting this. Certainly go beyond the top 100 but don't exclude them. Some of them are not heavy at all.

Congratulations Sophie!!! thumbsup laugh

You've got the top 3 starters with Ticket to Ride, Settlers and Carcassonne.

If you haven't already i'd suggest picking up the two best expansions to Carcassonne...
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals & Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders

Then I'd get into the light to medium games...
Pandemic
Blockers!

and don't forget about a few filler/quick games...
Tsuro
TransAmerica

and some quick card games...
Loot
Mamma Mia!
Coloretto

Before going to heavy. Power Grid is great but still weighted around 3.5. I might hold up on that for now. You've got time and a ton of games to get through before you roll up your sleeves and really get down and dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E.
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Sorrellbo wrote:
I see, well that makes things a bit tougher. Try meetup.com, you may have luck finding a group that way. Do you have a FLGS (friendly local gaming store) near you? If so, inquire if they host gaming nights/groups. It is hard for me to make recommendations because while still fairly new to this, I enjoy a wide variety of games. I also went from playing Settlers at a friends house to joining a gaming group and playing Die Macher my first session. I would suggest Stone Age as it has a good mix of strategy and luck as the next game you may want to consider.

Nope, no gaming store or anything similar. :/ I could try looking, but I don't think I'll have much luck considering the area.

kevintlee wrote:
You've got the top 3 starters with Ticket to Ride, Settlers and Carcassonne.

If you haven't already i'd suggest picking up the two best expansions to Carcassonne...
Carcassonne - Inns & Cathedrals & Carcassonne - Traders & Builders

Then I'd get into the light to medium games...
Pandemic
Uptown

and don't forget about a few filler/quick games...
Tsuro
TransAmerica

and some quick card games...
Loot
Mamma Mia!
Coloretto

Before going to heavy. Power Grid is great but still weighted around 3.5. I might hold up on that for now. You've got time and a ton of games to get through before you roll up your sleeves and really get down and dirty.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to check those out. I'm already thinking of getting the expansions to Carcassonne to feed my addiction to it.

And really about Power Grid? I wasn't sure, it doesn't seem too crazy from what I've seen but again, I don't know, I'm just basing it on what I've read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend:
Galaxy Trucker. This game is just FUN. The satisfaction of building your own spaceship plus the thrill of watching it move through an obstacle course is fantastic.
Dominion. A simple but deep card game with tons of replayability and a short playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sophie, if you're interested in finding out more about any games, the best few things you can do are:
- Read reviews and session reports
- Look at photos
- Read personal comments on what they think of the game (available on the bgg site for the game)
- Download and read a copy of the rules if possible
- Try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Carcassonne, you might want to try Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown or Taluva.

Power Grid seems like a logical progression as well, since you like Ticket to Ride. Power Grid is a fun game, but the phases and resource replenishment make it a little too fiddly for my tastes.

I would also recommend looking into worker placement games like The Pillars of the Earth or Stone Age.

Most of the games you have are the kind that are easy to learn, but have a lot of hidden strategy that starts to reveal itself after several games. If that sounds like what you like, I would seriously consider Cosmic Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
sockmonk wrote:
And really about Power Grid? I wasn't sure, it doesn't seem too crazy from what I've seen but again, I don't know, I'm just basing it on what I've read.

Oh, I don't want to discourage playing or buying Power Grid but I wouldn't pick it from our groups collective games if someone new came into the group.

Its easier to get into than Agricola but you'll be glued to the rules for the first couple of games. Granted all of my recommendations fell on the light side.

If you were to go heavier I might go with...
Tikal
Santiago
Acquire

These hover between 2.5 and 3.0 in game weight.

Power Grid is 3.35 - its just heavier.

As far as the heavy games go its the one I'd choose first but theres no hurry, ya know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Powergrid isn't too crazy. You just follow the steps one at a time and they're fairly basic steps. There's just a big difference between 'new players' and those who have played before. Some of the first few games we played there were bids of over 100 for some of the mid-range powerplants (which are worth 20-40). It takes a few games to know how much things are worth, but it's a fun learning process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E.
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the recommendations :D This site is fantastic. I'll be sure to look into all of those!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
For Carcassonne expansions, I suggest Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders. These are considered most in keeping with the style of the original.

Alhambra is an excellent game with some tile laying in it, but the two player rules are a little odd. It plays up to 6 which can be handy,

Keltis is based on Lost Cities, a very popular game for couples. The board game is refined and plays up to 4.

I agree with the suggestion to get TransAmerica (or Trans Europa), and I suggest you get Vexation with it: it's a very inexpensive expansion.

I agree with the suggestions for Ra and Dominion.

One thing to remember about BoardGameGeek ratings is that we tend to favor more complex ("heavier") games. Don't put too much weight on them. We also tend to underestimate how difficult games will be for beginners, and this is especially true when you don't have someone to teach you the game. Carcasonne is easy to learn; Power Grid, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to try and focus on the most important part of the OP...2-3 players. I like Power Grid, but it really does not play well with 2 players.

So, here you go:

Ra is my favorite 3 player game (ignoring the OOP Web of Power). Lovely tension and the bidding strategies are just great. Constrained auction makes it newbie friendly.

Samurai - is a great game for 2 or 3 players. It can feel a little dry to some, but this is a great game to see if you are a "Knizia Fanboy."

Alhambra - has some Carcassonne like tile laying, but it is mostly a set-collection/majorities game. The 2 player variant is really quite good, and 3 is its sweet spot.

Vikings, Dominion, Through the Desert, St. Petersberg would also be worth looking at.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E.
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. I will mostly be playing with 3 players, so keep that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't think moving to Power Grid would be too tough a move considering i did that myself. I went from Catan straight to Power Grid and I'm glad i did. It still stands as my favorite game to date, although i'm also relatively new to the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Zevallos
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sophie
Welcome to this great community and beautiful addiction.

Try Manila is very fun and easy to learn.

Good luck!!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
opks22 wrote:
I personally don't think moving to Power Grid would be too tough a move considering i did that myself. I went from Catan straight to Power Grid and I'm glad i did. It still stands as my favorite game to date, although i'm also relatively new to the hobby.

opks22, you've got some great games sitting in your collection with no rating or plays. You've got some work to do.

Blockers! was one of my favorite finds last year. Try that 2-player with each having 2 colors but not being able to steal from your own. That's tense but also goes really quick. 3-player with that one doesn't really work though, too much room on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltre Mare

Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra has been a continual hit for 3 players and new players. A very easy set collecting game and most people are drawn to the pretty egyptian theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra - Similar feel to Carc.
RA

The next level of complexity:
Yspahan
Stone Age

By the way... I want to disagree with the suggestion for Power Grid. The game has some counterintuitive strategies that put me off and might not work for you. Play this if you get the chance with experienced players so they can explain how to interact in the game. Disclaimer: I don't like Power Grid very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too much to add to the great suggestions already posted but...

Power Grid: my first time playing was 3 players and it played well although it has a very different feel than 4+. Also, it was one of my early plays and I didn't feel overwhelmed by it.

Attika: a good light tile-laying game that plays well from 2 to 4. Personally, I prefer Tigris and Euphrates and Samurai. Though they are a little heavier, if everyone in your group is at the same level, I don't see a problem with any of them. The rules are simple (especially Attika and Samurai); it is the strategy that makes T&E and Samurai heavy.

Tikal: this is a great light game with some decent strategic depth -- it is all about logistics, well except for the Indiana Jones feel.

Dominion: my personal favorite. This scales well from 2 - 4, is quick to teach, plays in 30 minutes to an hour (depending on the players); has great replayability; and is an absolute blast to play (IMHO).

San Juan: it's a step up from Settlers but not too far up. This was my gateway game. It's quick to teach, quick to play and scales well from 3 - 5. Also, the fact that it is a card game means it is very portable.

Great Wall of China or Loot - while I'm not crazy about Loot, every non-gamer I introduce it to loves it. I've just gotten Great Wall of China and it looks like it fixes some of the unbalanced feeling of Loot. Loot does not play well with 2 but does play well from 3 - 5 (not sure about GWOC yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Loot does not play well with 2 but does play well from 3 - 5

I know Loot has a bad rep for 2 but there is a 2-player variant that is absolutely superior to the group game (and the group game is totaly awesome too).

I added a photo with the rules but you can also print the rules for the 2-player variant from this link.

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/geekfile_view.php?fileid=3452...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.