Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night Alex Belyakov and me were having a little session on ZunTzu connecting Moscow to southern Germany
He wanted to go through FF2 another time before heading on to the tanks and all with Mother Russia and me taking field for the Fatherland, obvious role-assignment here So we did just that, but I better spare you the details on that one. At the end of Turn 2 I was already controlling the stone building with the germans, eliminated all resistance and was having LOS on the rearward spot while LMGs were ready to slaughter his reinforcement on the entry point so we decided to stop right there and not waste our time to play this down. I said I wouldnt mind playing FF1 again though as the russians, switching sides. So we agreed on that for another quick round and it turned out to be a pretty fun and close game.

We were going with standard setup, no cards and no group rules either.

Turn 1 I won initiative and was taking my SMG to the deep woods opposite the control point, awaiting the Germans. Alex was entering with his first LMG and laying down fire from the upper light woods on my advanced SMG immediately, thats when I figured it might have been a mistake to place them like that and I maybe should rather have used the rifles instead, but luckily he missed. I was passing in response to save my MMG and CAPs so the Germans could not advance too easily. Alex was getting his 2nd LMG on the board up north as well, just besides his first one and was trading bullets with my MMG but we all missed. He didnt dare to come near my advanced SMG squad so he just entered with his rifles for a few hexes but stopped before the woods leading to the control point.
Since I had the last action and all Germans were flipped and CAPs spent already I was taking my rifles to advance into the woods nearby the SMG as well. Scoring 1-0 on the control point for the Russians, two advanced units and the MMG still able to provide cover fire, things were not looking that bad at the end of turn 1 but I was ready for getting slaughtered as usual anyways.

Turn 2 the German rifles were closing in but stopped by Russian squads in short distance attacks before they could initiate combat on their own. MGs were trading some bullets again as well while I was sacrificing one shot in favor of moving them one hex into the deeper woods for better cover. There were a few wounded, some of them rallied as soon as possible but no unit killed yet. I was happy with that as the Germans were making very little progress this turn again. Russian reinforcement entered the board as well, one squad getting ready to meet the German pioneers up north, but not in a very aggressive position I was rather moving to cover the MMG from behind, keeping risk low in this situation now. The other squad I was keeping in reserve to make up for a loss on any side so I basically put it to where the first russian rifles start at the beginning of the game. End of this Turn Russians 2 - Germans 0

Turn 3 would finally see some units taken out of action. Short distance combat in the big woods before the checkpoint resulted in some wounded german squad just to be answered by a LMG finally placing a hit on the Russian SMG team to have me draw the eliminated chit - dough. I was actually anticipating to draw this tile as I was saying I can feel this one kills me right away, so that was quite a laugh when it really came up On a hit on my rifle squad I was also drawing the berserk tile though, which gave me improved attack values just perfect for that wooded and crowded terrain and an incredible defense value of 16 when shot on - whoohoo. so I was hitting an already wounded german squad for another time in order to kill it. Next, the fearsome pioneers entered on the rear, trying to sneak by my guarding rifles to come up threatening my MMG, but I was reacting by CAPs to block their way. So they were switching their target, hurting my rifles in some short distance fire. Thats when I decided to better double those pioneers with my reserve squad so I was closing in on them, placed my guys nearby the other squad and was taking a shot at the enemy but missed. The 2nd yet unused german LMG responded next, opening fire on my MMG, taking a lucky hit on a 10. As my unit hadnt been activated yet I didnt bother to rally as an opportunity action, I thought I can still do that when its my turn to activate and do some firing in response as well, adding one CAP. But then the Germans got lucky and rolled another 10 to kill my MMG right away, quite a blow to things looking really good for the russians. Still I controlled the checkpoint though, so this turn ended Russians 4 - Germans 2

Turn 4 there were quite some difficult tactical movements to manage. The pioneers were able to kill off the already wounded rifles but didnt inflict any further casualties on the second squad that had approached them. The berserked Russian guys took out the German rifles in response clearing the woods as the lone survivor. One german LMG rallied to get rid of a former wound and the other was leaving cover to finally head towards the checkpoint in order to flip it over. Alex forgot though that I can still take a shot with CAPs on a distance of 2 even when berserk, even though thats on a -2, so in the end he decided to stay out of harms way. As the turns last action I still had my rifles near the pioneers, I could have tried to kill them in CC but I could only take a single attack and in deep woods I wasnt really assured of hitting them so I feared to get slaughtered at the beginning of next turn in response, so I did something else. I moved through the hex occupied by the pioneers, out of CAPs they could not respond, so I was having just enough APs to reach the checkpoint, flip it over again right before the turn ended to apply scoring and I even moved my unit to join the german LMG on the same nearby hex with my last CAP The turn ended Russians 6 - Germans 3

In Turn 5 there was quite some thinking on both sides about how to manage to win. At times before I thought I had played it away and would lose even though I was leading in points through the whole game. Now I realized though that Alex would have to kill both my remaining units and take control of the checkpoint again just to tie me, so my goal was to avoid that and win. Alex won initiative and he tried to leave the hex with his LMG where I entangled him as his LMG wasnt good for CC so he left and I followed by CAPs. He did the same again and I was heading for light woods with another CAP. He fired but missed In response I was taking out his LMG that was on open field in favor of having been able to fire twice, I rolled as much as needed for an instant kill which assured victory ! I lost these rifles to his pioneers though, also an instant kill in short distance combat. I tried to opportunity fire on them as they came near but missed. His last LMG was closing in to take a shot at my berserked rifles but a defense of 16 was too much to overcome. So while his pioneers flipped the checkpoint with his last remaining CAP, my heroic berserks were the last surviving Russian unit against pioneers and one LMG and the game ended Russians 7 - Germans 5

Since I played around 10 games in total so far already I was naturally exceeding Alexs experience with the game which only consisted of 2 games before this session. Now that he learned from the games and has a few dirty german tricks up his sleeve when he next meets his face2face buddy as he is going to tell him to cause some fear he will be getting ready rule-wise for tanks and everything needed for FF4 for another online session next week Wednesday. Definately looking forward to that, some new dirty german tricks will be needed to beat him there again I figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lies, lies, it's all lies!

Now that I'm done with that, let me actually read through the report...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes, that actually sums it up pretty well. I was playing horribly, and got the 5 points only thanks to the German's superiority in that scenario, and a couple of lucky dice rolls. I guess there are a lot of things in this game that you need to consider, and I still don't know them all, so that's why I played so poorly. Hopefully, next time I won't be such a knucklehead. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think you played that bad at all, really. I was making a few inferior decisions as well without a doubt. But I think I can say I have quite improved my strategy for the russians in this FF as well over the few times I played them, having started at being quite helpless and puzzled on what to do at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
Alex forgot though that I can still take a shot with CAPs on a distance of 2 even when berserk, even though thats on a -2, so in the end he decided to stay out of harms way.

Ok, I always played this one wrong!
I thought that the range:1 given by the Berserk tile were something like an "absolute" cap without the chance of using the long range option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masdero wrote:
Umbratus wrote:
Alex forgot though that I can still take a shot with CAPs on a distance of 2 even when berserk, even though thats on a -2, so in the end he decided to stay out of harms way.

Ok, I always played this one wrong!
I thought that the range:1 given by the Berserk tile were something like an "absolute" cap without the chance of using the long range option.

You can still do long range attacks with berserk units at a range of 2. A -2 hit on FP is big enough that I don't see this happen too often in play though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, I thought the reinforcements came in on the next turn so round 3 for Soviets and 4 for Germans, but you brought them out on the turn they are listed (2 and 3). You don't score the objectives at the beginning of the round so why would you get the reinforcements at the beginning of the round? Besides, I thought the turn marker worked so that when you move it, whatever it covered up happens (reinforcements, VP, etc). Have I been playing wrong the whole time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, the rules state under 5.1 that reinforcements can enter the map in the turn they are listed, but the player can also decide them to enter the board at any later turn.

In section 2.0 of the rules you can see that preparing the reinforcements by placing them besides off the board (somewhere close to the hexes that are allowed for entry as specified in the scenario) is part of the preparation for the new turn. From this moment on, the player can decide to activate any of those reinforcement units waiting offboard next to their entry points, just as if they were unused units on the board. Also note that reinforcement units pay AP or CAP for entering the hex that was designed as their entry point, this means entering the board is an action which can trigger any kind of counter-action from the opponent. Basically you can make a unit enter the board by any kind of action (so also with CAPs) so you even do not have to be active player to let your reinforcements enter the board very very early in the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response. I understand how reinforcements work, but I was confused by when they were ready to be used. I guess what I mean to say is that you wouldn't score the VP that is listed on the turn 1 spot at the BEGINNING of round 1 so it just seemed like you wouldn't get the reinforcements that are listed on the turn 2 spot at the beginning, but after looking through later scenarios it is also clear that you wouldn't shoot artillery at the end of the last turn. I hope in future games they make it clearer what happens at the beginning of a turn and what happens at the end since they are listing both things in the same spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we got all those rules correct, eh, glad about that.

Saving Alexs honour though, I'll have to admit that there was apparently another problem. ZunTzu uses a tile for FF1 that doesnt represent that SMG squad properly ! It uses one that is changed according to Uwes correction like it should have been as a real SMG team which he posted on the games site. We thought the tile got the range wrong somehow but we didnt notice to cost to fire is changed as well. So we were using it like a range 6 (which didnt change anything though) but with a cost to fire of 3 ! Which should be a 4 as the units come with the box just like the rifles.

This allowed me to actually fire them twice a round without spending CAPs. Maybe this is what the russians finally made competetive in this FF.

So, the setup that comes with ZunTzu isnt quite proper here, as Uwe suggests to leave the tiles as they are for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
ZunTzu uses a tile for FF1 that doesnt represent that SMG squad properly ! It uses one that is changed according to Uwes correction like it should have been as a real SMG team which he posted on the games site.

Actually, as far as I understand, this is not the case. Uve said that an SMG squad should have the new statistics in future games, but for this one it's actually correct - but it's not an SMG squad per se, but, rather, a number of SMG's mixed with riflemen that give the combined squad a greater range. Or something to that extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, thats what I was saying.

The problem is with ZunTzu as it changed the stats of the SMG squads to reduce range from 6 to 3 and cost to fire from 4 to 3 even though its not recommended by Uwe. We did notice the change in range and ignored it (which didnt make a difference at all).

But we did NOT notice that change in cost to fire from 4 to 3 so I was actually able to fire that unit twice a turn without adding CAPs and that was wrong and gave me an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.