BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best Way to dry out thick cardboard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Burcham
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i just picked up Omega Virus at a Goodwill, and it looks complete, excellent condition, except weirdly, the 4 cardboard boards that attach to the main board are damp. They were the only things in the box that were damp? So i want to know if anyone has any tips, now i just have them setting out, but i dont know if a hair dryer(i assume it would make it all bubbly) or any other methods other than letting them set.

The Omega Virus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Doesn't sound good and I don't like your chances of fixing this without some visible warping or bowing but try this...

Place your board on a flat surface (somwhere where you can leave them for at least 2 weeks untouched).

Place over and under the boards some paper towelling or napkins. On top of the upper paper towelling sheet place some VERY HEAVY books, followed by other VERY HEAVY weighty items (if you have bag of concrete 30kg, even put this on the pile!)

Leave to sit, but replace the paper at the end of every day, as it will be slowly absorbing the moisture - you don't want it hanging around the board!

I'm not sure how thick the cardboard is but you'll find that the thinner the board, the more difficult it will be to remove any warping/wavy effects after drying. Thicker cardboard will just tend to bow.

Fingers crossed for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm making this up totally off the top of my head, but it is based on what I was once told about socks and keeping your feet dry. What I was told was that you should wear wool socks against your feet and then cotton socks as a second layer. The wool will keep the water off of your skin and the cotton will absorb it, drawing the moisture away.

So here's my idea, do the idea above, but instead of using paper towels use wool and cotton socks. Sandwich the board with wool socks and then sandwich that with cotton and then place something very heavy on it.

Or something like that. I'm bored at work today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.