Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if every expansion of Dominion comes as a complete, playable set with all the coin, curse and point cards (I'm not sure but there may be, there maaaay be, a thread about that. Might have to look), that means you can play with an extra thick stack of province cards!

Heck, as expansions come out, you could have a 24 or even 36 province stack!

Slightly more serously, I am curious how that would effect game play. Would it make it last longer? Would it just mean more games will end when three other stacks run out? Would you double all the point stacks or just the provinces? What would it do to gardens? What would doubling the curse stack mean for the witch?

What could we do with these extra tools in the tool box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my thought as well -- essentially, Dominion with an expansion can run more than four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
This was my thought as well -- essentially, Dominion with an expansion can run more than four players.

Good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

This is the most intelligent thing about the new expansion I've read all day, and I wish I had thought of it first.

That's SO true. That's EXACTLY how you'd make the game play with more players.

Along that line of thought also points to variants based on numbers of coin, provinces, and more.

Well said Chad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about running a game with more then four players, but you will definitely be able to run two PARALLEL games when you have four or more friends around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I don't know about running a game with more then four players, but you will definitely be able to run two PARALLEL games when you have four or more friends around.

That's what's most likely to happen at my game group. Both groups can just pull their 10 Kingdoms cards from the remaining 40(41-Envoy) cards not being used by the other group at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent point - overall, the extra components in the "full" expansion gives players a lot of customizing options - play with more players? Play with more provinces? In a 5 or 6 player game, do you use 12 or 15 of each kingdom card, or leave it the same? Running parallel games is also a very attractice reality for large groups or for tournaments.

Certainly there are diminishing returns here, if there are really the rumored seven expansions, I doubt one would ever need provinces 85-96, for example. Nonetheless, for the first expansion, this changes my perspective somewhat. Thanks for the insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Aww, man, 5 provinces in my hand again!"

"OK, I play Bureaucrat..." devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
"Aww, man, 5 provinces in my hand again!"

"OK, I play Bureaucrat..." devil

you mean "OK I Throne Room, Throne Room, Bureaucrat, Bureaucrat..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard C. Trombley
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We currently play 5-6 player games all the time. We added 4 more victory cards to each stack during those games (so 16 instead of 12). It makes the game play out at about the same pace.

We've played around with changing the action cards to stacks of 14, Or adding (and requiring) more stacks to be finished to end the game. Not sure yet on which work better. But with the expansion I would tend to lean towards going to 12 action cards in a 5-6 player game and require 4 stacks to be exhausted.

-Bernie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.