Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
'Age of Empires - Short Review for 'Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery''

Comments from users that moderated this article:
way too short.
this isn't really a review.

LOL!

My initial review is below. By the way, being succinct is a gift some people have. Enjoy it, if you've got it.

Subject: Age of Empires - Short Review

I've been playing AOE for nearly a year, now. It was my final Christmas present in 2007, just after my son was born. He's still too young to appreciate the nuances of this game, but the time will come. At 1, he at least shows some interest in the pieces.

Here's the deal: there are a number of reviews that talk about components, gameplay, etc. This is not one of those reviews. This is a review about a nice game that has a terrific narrative arc. This game tells a story, provides some middle to deep strategic thinking/planning. It is not scripted; there are optimum plays. However, those plays are always weighed against doing something more immediate.

I also like the fact that AOE is NOT a combat game. The computer game is very much a conflict game. This, however, the conflict is subtle and modeled in outwitting, out bidding, out lasting (hmmmm...) the other players. There are some powerful play combos that really shine when you have seasoned players (novice players will learn, eventually).

All in all, AOE is a fun game that I look forward to playing with my son. The idea of expansion buildings will/can add greatly to the gameplay and I look foreward to that, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, I'd have to: "concur with the consensus" as it were more akin with some "casual observations" whilst omitting some quite salient 'points' that you expressed, yet you neglected to go into greater 'details' about those. Perhaps you should go BACK and delve within any that you brought UP to "flesh that out" better? Don't be afraid to 'counter' upon anything that another may have already covered, so I look forward to re-perusing YOURS here sometime soonish eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally arrived! A comment from GROGnads! I've been lurking on BGG for years, read things from you and love to know that you're looking out.

I will resubmit a newer, more elaborate review of this game - if only for you.

cheers and Aloha,

Hawaiiirish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.