Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've recently been indoctrinated into the venerable cult of Age of Steam, including finding my own copy the game and tracking down a couple of the expansion maps.

But that doesn't mean I've been able to play it much.

Unlike some past favourites (Caylus, Agricola, Stone Age, Race for the Galaxy), there's only limited pleasure to be gained from the two player game, so there's not much mileage I can get out of my new favourite at home. Also, although I may be able to get 2 or 3 more plays out of my regular gaming groups, AoS itself and railway games in general are kind of a niche interest and not really most of my fellow group members' "thing." I don't want to turn into That Guy who's always begging for a specific game rather than playing whatever's on the table.

Anybody else interested in a monthly or so meeting specifically for Age of Steam (and possibly other Martin Wallace goodness as well)?

I'd like to play the game enough to get a feel for the richness and depth of it, which I just can't do under the current circumstances, not to mention (given the rarity of many of the maps) to provide myself and others the opportunity to try the expansion maps.

Thursday nights and/or Saturdays are my best times (due to differences in my wife's and my work schedule), but I'd be willing to entertain other times as well.

Who'd be game? (No pun intended.) Also if there's an existing group I just haven't heard about, I'd be thrilled to know about that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mishie
Canada
flag msg tools
Oooh.. I am game! Actually make that bf + I as well depending on schedule.
We are located in Vancouver but can travel on occassion.. msg me for details!

Other than Rails of Europe / Race for the Galaxy / Augsburg 1520 (all which we have not learned yet) we loooove all your other Top 10's so let us knkow if you'll be game sometimes!

Btw, does your wife play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mishie wrote:
Oooh.. I am game! Actually make that bf + I as well depending on schedule.
We are located in Vancouver but can travel on occassion.. msg me for details!

Other than Rails of Europe / Race for the Galaxy / Augsburg 1520 (all which we have not learned yet) we loooove all your other Top 10's so let us knkow if you'll be game sometimes!

Btw, does your wife play?

Yes, my wife plays sometimes, but I think she has about half the gaming stamina that I do (in terms of game playing events per month). I also think she prefers getting together with people we know than going to gaming events at shops, etc.

Regardless of whether I hear from many other people, we'd be happy to meet up with you guys sometime, especially if you have a lot of the same favourites....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Einstein
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late in responding but I am definitely interested (and located in Burnaby as well). We recently started playing Age of Steam in our Thursday night group, but I have found that I am lobbying for it a bit too much... which brings me to a point that I also am looking for a local group that would meet regularly to explore this great game and its many variants. We could also just expand our Thursday night group by a player or two, and then we could have one game of Age of Steam going, and those who want to play something could do so. I hope there is still interest out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be game for this. I co-host the group that David above refers to and live in Coquitlam, but am happy to venture to Burnaby for the sake of a more central gaming location.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still interested, although things for me are a bit busy this spring and early summer, so it might have to wait a little.

Coquitlam is not a bad trek for me, depending on what part (it's a very long, skinny, suburb it seems). What days and times might work well for you guys, if we were to try to set something up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm near the Port Mann, so not too far out there.

Burnaby area'd be fine with me - David lives there too.

Life is pretty hectic for me too at the moment, but once a month should be doable as a minimum. More than that's dicey since I do need to devote some time to my family as well.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Einstein
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we meet at my place, most nights work for me as a general rule.
Monday and Wednesday nights I am bound to the house, as my wife goes out those evenings and someone needs to stay home with the kids (who are in bed by 7:30pm).

On Thursday nights we have our regular gaming group (alternating between Patrick's and my place) which starts at 6:30pm. We could arrange a game of age of steam on those nights where we know we will have decent attendance, giving other less die hard AoS fans an option out! If we were to do another night, it would likely need to have a later start time to coincide with the children's bedtimes. Start time would probably need to be no earlier than 7:30pm, I would guess. Patrick can comment on that as well, as he also has a daughter to tuck in at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am a recent Age of Steam convert. David, we met at the Boardgaming for Diabetes weekend. I was the Chris playing Roll Through the Ages with you, Emil and Kevin. I hope you had your 1830s Pennsylvania/Northern California map returned to you, as it was left in my copy of the game! (I left it with the organizers).

I would be very keen to get in on any group meeting in Burnaby or Vancouver. I don't have a car and wouldn't likely be able to meet in Coquitlam or further into the suburbs. I'd probably be able to do Thursdays on a monthly basis but no more often than that.

I'm also very interested in trying other similar games if there is group interest. I've had Martin Wallace's After the Flood (3p only) and Steel Driver kicking around since their release unplayed. I also have copies of Princes of the Renaissance and Byzantium also unplayed. It is very hard for me to find people interested in these thinky games. Brass: Lancashire is one of my all-time favourites that I don't get to play enough.

Glad you brought this idea up Matt I hope we can get this going!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Einstein
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four people interested is definitely quorum, as far as I am concerned. I would also be interested in exploring other heavier games mentioned...

I'll pm you within the next few days to see if we can arrange a date and time.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Yu
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
If you guys play AoS on the weekends, I am usually up in Vancouver at least twice a month and would be interested in games of Age of Steam. I didn't have a chance to game with you guys at the Boardgaming for Diabetes weekend since I was hiding in the corner playing that tower building dexterity game or getting suckered into teaching Small World over and over, but have no doubt that I was looking enviously at the AoS game that was being played on Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like there's more than enough interest - that's good.

It's also time for: Poll!

Poll: AoS Vancouver
Some questions to help sort out availability and options...
1. What night(s) of the week work best for you to get together and play AoS?
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
All Days, I'm Addicted!
2. Where would you prefer to meet?
Burnaby
Coquitlam
Vancouver
I Don't Care, I'll Hitchhike Anywhere
3. Would you rather meet...
Weekly
Biweekly
Monthly
      5 answers
Poll created by PatK

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I selected "monthly" in the poll since I indicated availability on Thursdays. If we end up meeting another day I would be available weekly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Einstein
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Note: I selected "monthly" in the poll since I indicated availability on Thursdays. If we end up meeting another day I would be available weekly.

I don't think that you should focus on the Thursdays. Patrick and I meet as part of a boardgaming group on Thursdays, but certainly the general focus of that group is not the AoS type brain melters. I have been noticing that I am trying to push AoS a lot more than I suspect other people would like,
but both Patrick and I are willing to meet outside of the regular Thursday session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deinstein wrote:

I don't think that you should focus on the Thursdays. Patrick and I meet as part of a boardgaming group on Thursdays, but certainly the general focus of that group is not the AoS type brain melters. I have been noticing that I am trying to push AoS a lot more than I suspect other people would like,
but both Patrick and I are willing to meet outside of the regular Thursday session.

It looks like most of us are into a monthly thing anyhow but if we meet a different day you can switch one "monthly" to a "weekly".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it looks like we are looking at one Saturday a month in either Burnaby or Vancouver. I am willing to host, my place is near Main and Broadway. It's a one bedroom apartment but it's plenty big for a group of 4

I can't do it this Saturday but the 16th is open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, looks like one Saturday a month is winning out. Hooray for polls!

Also seems as though Burnaby is slightly preferred, but not as set in stone.

We also haven't sorted time details, but I'm assuming early evening will work for most?

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I can do early evening. When I posted the votes for Vancouver and Burnaby were balanced but that has changed. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to meet in Burnaby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Einstein
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For once a month, my place shouldn't be a problem, as long as people aren't uncomfortable with that. We live half way between Sperling/Burnaby Lake Station and Lake City Station on the Millenium line,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.