Jonathan Smith
United Kingdom
Stanley
Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finally getting this to the table this weekend I hope - planning to watch Frost/Nixon tonight and then some West Wing and then get this to table tomorrow afternoon. I've had it for sometime - so mine is first edition.

I've downloaded the 2nd edition rules and some play aids from here - so I've got the voting numbers on a card for ease or reading etc.

I noticed that apart from the the 'cosmetic' change to the board there are some changes - are they important?

1) Number of cubes - more have been added to the game - is this significant? If i run out of coloured cubes should I replace those on the board with something else (meeples/discs) as a place holder.

2) There are a couple of card clarifications - Tricky Dick and Henry Luce (which I'm ok with as they are really just rules lawyer preventing common sense) but there is one change that may affect gameplay and thats the change to the debate icon on "New Nixon" - how important is this.

I'm playing with my other half and she's really latched onto euros, albeit with a bit of prodding from time to time. She has a real interest in US politics - and really wants to give this a try - but I don't want to make sure that any changes from version to version are as inobtrusive as possible.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinulph wrote:
I'm finally getting this to the table this weekend I hope - planning to watch Frost/Nixon tonight and then some West Wing and then get this to table tomorrow afternoon. I've had it for sometime - so mine is first edition.

I've downloaded the 2nd edition rules and some play aids from here - so I've got the voting numbers on a card for ease or reading etc.

I noticed that apart from the the 'cosmetic' change to the board there are some changes - are they important?

1) Number of cubes - more have been added to the game - is this significant? If i run out of coloured cubes should I replace those on the board with something else (meeples/discs) as a place holder.

2) There are a couple of card clarifications - Tricky Dick and Henry Luce (which I'm ok with as they are really just rules lawyer preventing common sense) but there is one change that may affect gameplay and thats the change to the debate icon on "New Nixon" - how important is this.

I'm playing with my other half and she's really latched onto euros, albeit with a bit of prodding from time to time. She has a real interest in US politics - and really wants to give this a try - but I don't want to make sure that any changes from version to version are as inobtrusive as possible.

Jon

Jon we didn't make any changes to the cards that were not included in the FAQ. We were not trying to change cards per se, just clarify intent.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct that the change to the debate icon on that one card is the only real non-cosmetic change to the game. Frankly, the impact on the game of that one misprinted icon is miniscule enough that it's no big deal if you just want to play your 1st edition copy as printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Smith
United Kingdom
Stanley
Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response to the questions

We've just finished the game in just over 3 hours including explainations (this was Kat's first 'wargame' and my first CDG); and recording details and counting up the results.

The player getting initiative always played first (Kennedy in the first 2 turns followed by Nixon all the way through). The big number states were closely fought, changing hands several times. "Early count in Connecticut" taking California off Nixon at the end of the game, after he'd stolen New York and left it in such a way that Kennedy could not retake it. California swung the game and Kennedy stole the election from 301-236 (if California hadn't changed it would have been 269-268). Kennedy nearly gave up after Nixon recieved a clean sweep on the debates.

It will hit the table again... I've been told I've got to take the monster next time!

Lots of nice tight decisions - although I think we neglected issues and media support over actions, events and event grabbing. As a result no one really got enough momentum to preempt an event. Although that is the joy of the game, too many tight decisions and definitely not enough time or activity. On the third phase of turn 8 - Nixon played "Nixon Egged in Michigan" which was promptly played as an event by Kennedy; which is possibly the game winning move - allowing Kennedy to reclaim chunks of the midwest when Nixon took New York. Literally a down to the wire game.

We ended up using spare disks from Age of Steam to make up the missing cubes - we were 9 red cubes short (as it was a 1st edition game).

We both really enjoyed it - and Kat enjoyed giving me a history lesson to go along with it!

Thanks for a great game and for answering my question.

Jon ;-@{D}

btw - FROST/NIXON is a very good film - thoroughly enjoyed that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinulph wrote:
The player getting initiative always played first

I think that this was a mistake, but since you avoided the issues it possibly didn't make much difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a chance to buy a opened but never played 1st edition. Should I crag it or wait for the 2nd Edition reprint. Besides the rules update what are the changes if any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.