Subject: Variable reinforcements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite wargames is Light Division, its got a variable reinforcement phase each turn. It basically means by endgame you can have about 20% of the available countermix on the board, which is about 1 Full Infantry division out of the 5 available. You don't know how many points you'll get as reinforements and it adds alot of tension and replayability to each game.

So i'm looking for any other wargames out there that have this mechainc as a hinge to the game. I'm looking at Pacific Victory so far, possibly Paths of Glory or Barbarossa to Berlin. Any advice, the more variety the better in terms of countermix. Preferably a game made in the last 10 years.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sorry... NONE of those are available, and neither is any 'place' in "Tuscany", so don't even TRY!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencils in ears, pants on head...wibble, wibble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still looking for advice no matter what course of insanity this thread make take

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1776 has a variable reinforcement design built into it. The American player never really can be sure of his reinforcements. The British knows his regulars arrive on a set schedule, but the Tories are also variable. For both sides their militia may even disband in a variable manner.

Another game where the reinforcements are variable is Vietnam 1965-1975. In this game the amount of reinforcements can be manipulated, but doing so dramatically affects the ability of the two sides to win or lose.

But both of these games are more than ten years old!

And of course most grand strategic games where production is controlled by the players themselves would have variable reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that popped into my head, when I saw the thread title and before reading your post, was Fortress America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The first game that popped into my head, when I saw the thread title and before reading your post, was Fortress America.

Beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots - The annual English muster is a random selection of half of the available force pool. What you draw has a significant impact on how that year's campaigning will unfold. Actually the Scottish builds are random too, but it's much less significant for them.

World in Flames - You choose the type of units to build (i.e infantry, armor, fighters, etc), but draw them randomly from the appropriate force pool. All units are not created equal. New (better) units are added to the mix each year. You can scrap outdated units to improve the quality of your force pool, but if you do you can never get them back (which may mean you run out of a particular unit type if you scrap too many old units).

Edit: Maybe I misinterpreted your question. If the variable is quantity rather than quality - well, pretty much any CDG is going to have this in some fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the line of Hammer of the Scots you have Crusader Rex and Athens vs. Sparta. Hellenes should be published this year and (the rules are at the GMT site) it has a similar unknown reinforcements mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all the replies. I have Crusader Rex, it has a certain inevitability about recieving all the blocks. I like the replayability from thinking well maybe this game if I field these troops etc the outcome will be different, even better if it has some resource management. Any additional chrome around reinforcements is appreciated too. Light Division its key to take and hold airfields and ports otherwise you can't bring in reinforcements.

I'm checking out all suggested so cheers very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the British and Americans have variable reinforcements in Monmouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cage wrote:
So i'm looking for any other wargames out there that have this mechainc as a hinge to the game. I'm looking at Pacific Victory so far

Note that the reinforcements in Pacific Victory aren't random; you spend production points to build the steps/units you want.

EDIT: FAB: The Bulge has fixed reinforcements, but you draw asset & event chits every turn, so e.g. you may not have as many Engineer units as you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very surprised at the depth of Fab Bulge, i always assumed it was a "simple" introductory block game. Very interesting, i think regardless of "variable reinforcements" i'll be getting this one.

Still looking for advice though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.