Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

You all have been a great help in the past, thanks for that.

I am starting a gaming league at a local library. Something to get out there and show kids of varying ages about the great hobby of what I call "true" gaming. The library is really excited to have me come and run a program.

I am thinking it will run for 7 or 8 weeks. And I would like to have Catan for ages 13+ and Carcassonne for ages 8+. But I am stuck on what game I should run for younger than 8. If any.

Of course other game suggetions for any age and general thoughts overall are welcome too.

Thanks again,
-Flip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamewright do a range for children as young as 3.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/108

Also, Selecta Spielzeug do some good children's games.
Viva Topo! and Giro Galoppo are published by Rio Grande
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    Max is an interesting cooperative for very young kids. Plan a full-time coach for it.

In fact plan a full-time coach for just about any group of kids under six. You need to consider if you want to go after this age group given their need for additional tutelage, though you'll be able to press parents into service at that age.

Heroscape works well down to about age five, with coaching. Excellent for young boys. There's a couple of Littlest Petshop games that may appeal to young girls better.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been introducing my nieces to gaming for the past few years (currently 9, 7 and 6). their favorites have been:

hey that's my fish
tsuro
snorta
niagra
zooloretto
zig zag
animal upon animal
toss your cookies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Secret Door (cooperative)
Monza
Pick Picknic
Walk the Dogs
Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus
Unnamed Object (works well with groups of all ages)

Playroom has several good kids' games. My favorites from their line are
Sherlock and Gopher It!

I second the Gamewright suggestion. Kids love them and they're easily available if parents want to buy them. Some good ones to consider would be Duck, Duck, Bruce, Sleeping Queens, and Rat-a-Tat Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning on running the same game over that seven or eight weeks, or are you looking for several games that would be quick to teach and learn? Your answer might change some of my suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I done many group games sessions with my son's Kindergarten class as well as my own Sunday School class (1st and 2nd grade)

Here are some of the games that kids have really enjoyed:

Top choices
PitchCar
Gumball Rally
The Secret Door
Blokus
Max (with Kinders, have not tried with older kids)
Monza (with Kinders)

Other good choices
Apples to Apples Junior
Zingo!
Animal Upon Animal
RattleSnake (with 7 year olds)
Gopher It!
Viva Topo!
Break the Safe
Ave Caesar

I agree with what Sagrilarus said about having someone around to help the younger kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do your group a favor and track down a copy of Escape from the Hidden Castle.
It plays up to 8, and is a hoot.

Incan Gold is a great choice also (up to 8!).

Also, don't call it a "league" - that sounds competitive - call it something that sounds more inviting and supportive.

Oh - and Sleeping Queens is 10 times better than Rat-a-Tat-Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
Are you planning on running the same game over that seven or eight weeks, or are you looking for several games that would be quick to teach and learn? Your answer might change some of my suggestions.

I do plan on playing the same game over and over for 7 or 8 weeks. This will cut down on the cost of getting multiple games. Plus it will help encourage the kids to try to concentrate on bettering themselves and/or working better as a team.

I'm afraid if I don't structure it as a "league" that it will just become an overglorified babysitting service for moms to drop their kids of while they go shopping.

A little competition is good, isn't that the whole idea behind gaming anyway?

Friendly competition of course. I feel that really goes without saying.

-Flip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, I'd go with something that has a little bit of strategy that they can grow into (assuming it's essentially the same set of kids each week). Dragonland or Zooloretto could work. The problem you may have is that young kids may not have the attention span to play a single game for a whole session. A shorter game that has strategy appropriate for that age would be Marrakesh, although it might be hard to find since it went out of print. Capt'n Clever, Enchanted Forest, or Ch√Ęteau Roquefort are all worth looking into as well.

Good luck with your gaming league! It sounds like a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
A little competition is good, isn't that the whole idea behind gaming anyway?

No.

Now that you state the context, Heroscape is the blazingly obvious choice in this case. It lends itself to competitive (fun) leagues better than any of the other games mentioned IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that younger kids may not have the attention span to play one game for a whole session. Many kids also like variety, and will not want to play the same game that many times, especially if they don't care for it the first time. You might want to consider having a number of quicker games, including some dexterity games, to appeal to everyone's interest.

That said, I think younger kids (K - 2) do well with and like Blokus, Blokus 3D, Phantoms vs Phantoms, Checkers, Animal Upon Animal and Sleeping Queens. The great thing about all of these games is that kids can play them with very little, if any, help from adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make a sign with some basic rules on it. Maybe "Remember to wait your turn" "It's just a game" "Respect other players"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely will have a code of conduct that will be simple enough for everyone to remember.

I am thinking that I will work the league for the first time for ages 8+. If younger brothers or sisters show up, great! I will have a few games on hand to entertain them in the corner while I run the league.

I am leaning towards Heroscape. Carcassonne and Catan definitely have the euro-game feel to them but Heroscape will help bring things around to the good ol' U.S.A. If you know what I mean.

Still taking suggestions though.

Thanks again y'all.
-Flip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.