♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Verkisto and who ever wrote this comic...Twilight is a horrid series...just making vamps fun for the bubblegum crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
TwilightCon in 3...2...1....? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I actually read the first in the series, since I was working in a library at the time, and my and the YA librarian's tastes converged a bit. She recommended it to me, so I gave it a go. It's a compelling enough story that I wanted to finish reading it, but it was so high-school-ish and girly that I couldn't see myself wanting to read anything else by the author.

The baseball game was just fucking stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 14 year old says she loves this series. But it's interesting because she's only read it once.

Usually if she loves something, she reads it over and over. (I don't know how many times she's read Harry Potter.) So, I don't think this series will have staying power.

Oh, and she HATED the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Thank you Verkisto and who ever wrote this comic...Twilight is a horrid series...just making vamps fun for the bubblegum crowd.

Really, they need to read some of the White Wolf stuff to get a handle on some Vamps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this webcomic. It's probably my favorite webcomic that I read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
...vampires... They're a drain on society!

Nice one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Jatoha wrote:
My 14 year old says she loves this series.

My 28-year old sister-in-law is agog over the series. I just don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a pretty good take on the movie (and the phenomenon) by Roger Ebert:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Jatoha wrote:
My 14 year old says she loves this series.

My 28-year old sister-in-law is agog over the series. I just don't get it.

I also read the 1st book--which is fairly good. I then read the 2nd book which was better. The 3rd book---boring!! The final book does give an acceptable resolution to the series. I read them all from the library and did not pay 1 cent for these books.

I have to agree that the protagonist is SUPER ANNOYING and thinks so poorly of herself and so highly of the vampire-------------I hated that and especially disliked the message it was giving teenage girls!!!

The reason I really liked the 2nd book was because she started getting over her obsessive love for the guy and started seeing that life was worth living and was interesting even without that guy (the vampire) in her life. Too bad...........
Spoiler (click to reveal)
she goes back to him!

Otherwise, a well-written, annoying, YA series.

I prefer the Tomorrow: When the War Began series. I have read all but the last book--our library system doesn't carry it!!!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes guts to say Limburger smells like feet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
It takes guts to say Limburger smells like feet?

If it looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit...it must be shit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... You've eatten shit? Gross!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
... You've eatten shit? Gross!

Are you a lawyer? Do you regularly twist words around to things you want to hear? robot Look closely again Mr. Lawyer man, my words dont say anything about ME eating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[school boy voice] Then how do you know how it TASTES? [/school boy voice]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my friends give this one or two stars on Good Reads, but what mystifies me is that they read the rest of the series continually rating then 1 or 2 stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
They're a drain on society!

This is going directly to my Quote Hall of Fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant review (be sure to keep reading until the money shot--it is not safe to be drinking while reading if you value your keyboard):
http://avphibes.livejournal.com/370683.html

"Twilight makes for the best fanwank ever:"
http://io9.com/5096763/twilight-makes-for-the-best-fanwank-e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Brilliant review (be sure to keep reading until the money shot--it is not safe to be drinking while reading if you value your keyboard):

Tommy, thank you for the warning, Im rolling here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

I'm not into the Vampire genre.. I never really liked it that much or got into it.. However even *I* could see that this was another "specialized genre put through a meat grinder and spit out as fast food for the masses"

Same with that Eragon garbage. Which (from what I hear) is nothing more then recycled fantasy stories from a hundred different sources meshed together.

Also his mother is a book publisher, so after he wrote the book, she pushed it forward to get published. Then she put him on all these tours and book signings to gain publicity. Only after that, did his book start selling.

As much as I enjoyed the Harry Potter books (well the first 3 anyways, and well the last wasn't too bad). I know that they are similar, fantasy for the masses.

When was the last time an author like George R.R. Martin, or Robert Jordan got the same sort of recognition as say, J.K. Rowling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
tommynomad wrote:

Sample:

Quote:
OH OH OH... and the bestest part of all: The reason vampires can't go out in the sun? Because they're sparkly. Yes, sparkly. REALLY. I'm going to extrapolate from this that they also ride unicorns and crap gumdrops.

I wanted to quote the "money shot," but I value my presence here on BGG and wouldn't want to lose that.

Quote:

Sample:

Quote:
Previously on As the Vampire Sparkles, emoteen Bella Swan moves to a tiny little depressing rainy town and won't shut up about it. There she meets a mysterious boy who turns out to be a 100+ year-old vampire who literally sparkles "like diamonds" in direct sunlight and reads minds (but not hers), and after three hundred pages of Bella wondering why he's so mean to her and why he's so weird and why he's not being mean to her anymore and what his deal is and if he likes her and if he actually loves her and how much he loves her and how he could possibly love as someone as Mary Sue plain and boring and clumsy as she is and if his vampire family will like her, a plot finally shows up, but it doesn't last very long. And then they go to prom. In the second book, Edward the sparkling vampire leaves Bella for her own good, and she spends most of the book trying to kill herself with motorcycles and cliff-diving. Sort of. And then her best friend falls in love with her and turns out to be a werewolf, but Bella runs away to save Edward from committing suicide by public sparkling in Italy. In the third book, Jacob the best friend/boyfriend wannabe/werewolf turns into a total asshole trying to force himself on Bella, and a vampire with a grudge from the first book is trying to kill her, but more importantly, Bella and Edward argue about whether they should have sex, get married, and/or vampirize Bella, and in what order.

Hand to God, I did not make one word of that up. Twilight means never having to say you're kidding.

Thanks, Tommy. These articles were a great start to my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew as soon as I heard about sexless vampires that someone had completely missed the point, and that I'd never have to read any of it.

But if only for the links above, I am grateful for the existence of Twilight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

I'm not into the Vampire genre.. I never really liked it that much or got into it.. However even *I* could see that this was another "specialized genre put through a meat grinder and spit out as fast food for the masses"

Same with that Eragon garbage. Which (from what I hear) is nothing more then recycled fantasy stories from a hundred different sources meshed together.

Also his mother is a book publisher, so after he wrote the book, she pushed it forward to get published. Then she put him on all these tours and book signings to gain publicity. Only after that, did his book start selling.

As much as I enjoyed the Harry Potter books (well the first 3 anyways, and well the last wasn't too bad). I know that they are similar, fantasy for the masses.

When was the last time an author like George R.R. Martin, or Robert Jordan got the same sort of recognition as say, J.K. Rowling?

I love the Harry Potter series, well especially Book 1-3. J.K. Rowling is not a great writer, but she IS a great storyteller and THAT is what sells. She also knew how to start targeting at the right age group, yet allow for adults to read and enjoy, and then allow for the series to grow up and maintain a following. Of course, she did have a bit o' luck and that never hurts either.

That said, while I've enjoyed Robert Jordan and felt he was a most stand-up individual, he was not always such a great storyteller and sometimes his writing was a little difficult it does not have mass market appeal.

One of my favorite writers is L.E. Modesitt, Jr. who is a fantastic writer in my opinion, but who is not a great storyteller.

My favorite writer, or rather writing team, is David and Leigh Eddings. They are both great writers AND great storytellers. But, for some reason never achieved mass market appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.