Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-lawsuit2...

Quote:
A Merritt Island man who was paralyzed when he answered a dare to do a belly flop in the Indian River has been awarded $76.6 million by a Brevard County jury.

Timothy D. Hoffman, who was 20 at the time of the accident on Jan. 16, 2003, broke his neck when he sprinted down a dock in Port St. John and slammed headfirst into the bottom of the shallow river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That whole story just made me mad. What the heck!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the next time I fall down the steps because I'm stinking drunk I believe I'll sue somebody. This story has given me hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh... I wish I could say something against that phrase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one thing about provincial judges. They can award what ever batshit crazy judgment they want, but once it moves to a higher court, this will be laughed out. He won't see a dime. Mark my words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
That's one thing about provincial judges. They can award what ever batshit crazy judgment they want, but once it moves to a higher court, this will be laughed out. He won't see a dime. Mark my words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sure I'm thankful the paramedics pulled me from the burning wreckage... but they didn't have to dislocate my shoulder."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I conquer my own small island nation, I'm going to appoint myself judge to all civil cases. If a plaintiff is trying to profit off of their own stupidity like the example above, I will shoot them in the arm and deport them via rowboat with only frisbees for oars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
When I conquer my own small island nation, I'm going to appoint myself judge to all civil cases. If a plaintiff is trying to profit off of their own stupidity like the example above, I will shoot them in the arm and deport them via rowboat with only frisbees for oars.

Softie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangit. like we need more reason to be embarrassed by some of the idiots we have around here..

12 people agreed on this?!? I've done jury duty 3 times here in Brevard county in the last 10 years. Every time I've done it it is always with a very rational group of adults. Where did they find these folks and how did they get them to agree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Let's hope so. The nerve of this man! I hope he never walks agai... what? Oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Quote:
A Merritt Island man who was paralyzed when he answered a dare to do a belly flop in the Indian River has been awarded $76.6 million by a Brevard County jury

The only way he'll ever see $76.6 million is if the business owner he sued skips lunch and has that $4-5 he would have spent on a whopper converted to Zimbabwe dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He was a temp who was convinced to do a belly flop off a dock. There was betting done by his boss (the man who was sued). The article doesn't say if the boss knew there was only a foot of water after the 10ft drop.

If... if, the boss knew the guy was jumping a story down into a puddle and encouraged and bet on it, then I think he's guilty.

If you are the authority figure in a situation and convince somebody to do something you know will harm them (or you're so ignorant you're negligent) then you deserve to get sued.

If nobody knew if was only a foot deep then I see no fault. If it was actually a deep body of water and he just landed funny, then I would see no fault. If the boss was a monumental prick and convinced the 20 year old to jump ten feet head first in belly flop mode onto basically rock then he deserves to lose his business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
He was a temp who was convinced to do a belly flop off a dock. There was betting done by his boss (the man who was sued). The article doesn't say if the boss knew there was only a foot of water after the 10ft drop.

If... if, the boss knew the guy was jumping a story down into a puddle and encouraged and bet on it, then I think he's guilty.

If you are the authority figure in a situation and convince somebody to do something you know will harm them (or you're so ignorant you're negligent) then you deserve to get sued.

If nobody knew if was only a foot deep then I see no fault. If it was actually a deep body of water and he just landed funny, then I would see no fault. If the boss was a monumental prick and convinced the 20 year old to jump ten feet head first in belly flop mode onto basically rock then he deserves to lose his business.

(MotherMode)
...."So, if your friends told you to jump off a bridge would you it that too?"
(/MotherMode)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
MusedFable wrote:

(MotherMode)
(/MotherMode)

Chapel, very rarely do I agree with you on much, but this one time I am disappointed that I can give but one thumb. And I have never said that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
The article doesn't say if the boss knew there was only a foot of water after the 10ft drop.

If... if, the boss knew the guy was jumping a story down into a puddle

If nobody knew if was only a foot deep

If it was actually a deep body of water

Pretty much anyone who lives here for any amount of time near the river and certainly anyone working construction along that river knows that the entire thing is shallow. You can pretty much walk across the entire river and only need to swim across a short 20-30' boat channel that has been dredged. 100' off shore and your only waist deep in most places.
There's no way this guy (doing the jumping) did not know the water was shallow. You can see the bottom if it's less than 3 feet deep.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some of that "I dare you" "10 bucks says you wont" cajoling, and I'm sure he intended to land flat in a belly flop. He failed at that and landed head first. He knew whether the water was deep or not. If he never even looked than he's a total idiot.

anyway, just my opinion. I wasn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
MusedFable wrote:

(MotherMode)
(/MotherMode)

Jumping off a bridge is a calculated risk. If my friends and I all decide it's worth it then none of us is to be solely blamed; we're all dumbasses together.

If my friend jumps first and notices a massive rock he just barely missed, and then calls for me to jump too because he thinks it would be funny for me to land on a massive rock then he is more to blame then I am.

It's a form of negligence. If you have more info than somebody else and you goad them into doing something more dangerous than they realize you're being negligent.

You don't tell children to stick a fork in an outlet. You don't tell the new guy at work to hit the red button while standing underneath the machinery. You don't bet a friend to run into a "friends" house and scare them at 2am knowing that it's actually an old man with an itchy trigger finger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
MusedFable wrote:
The article doesn't say if the boss knew there was only a foot of water after the 10ft drop.

If... if, the boss knew the guy was jumping a story down into a puddle

If nobody knew if was only a foot deep

If it was actually a deep body of water

Pretty much anyone who lives here for any amount of time near the river and certainly anyone working construction along that river knows that the entire thing is shallow. You can pretty much walk across the entire river and only need to swim across a short 20-30' boat channel that has been dredged. 100' off shore and your only waist deep in most places.
There's no way this guy (doing the jumping) did not know the water was shallow. You can see the bottom if it's less than 3 feet deep.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some of that "I dare you" "10 bucks says you wont" cajoling, and I'm sure he intended to land flat in a belly flop. He failed at that and landed head first. He knew whether the water was deep or not. If he never even looked than he's a total idiot.

anyway, just my opinion. I wasn't there.

If it's that obvious then the guy is a fucking numb nuts. Was he from out of town? Exceptionally slow witted? Nah, that's pretty thin.

Betting on it was a little callous, but if the guy knew the risks it's his fault.

Must have been a good lawyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
Must have been a good lawyer.

I don't know if this even needs be the case. The article says the owner, facing bankruptcy, couldn't even afford a lawyer and so the company was not represented to defend itself. Thus, the jury could have just had a heyday with it and awarded an arbitrary default judgement.

Part of me wants to feel sorry for the guy, but when anyone starts pulling out multi-million dollar lawsuits to compensate for their OWN stupidity, I lose all sympathy for the person. In fact, where the article says "He and his fiance parted not long afterward," I couldn't help but think "Well, maybe that's because she realized she was engaged to a MORON?!" Callous, I know, and I guess part of me feels a little guilty for that, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(ChapelMode)

"He should be spanked!"

(/ChapelMode)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.