Subject: You are a tool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Tingley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My lovely wife gave this to me for Christmas, and I was very excited to try it out, having read all the glowing reviews and heard about its various awards. I've never tried any of the other famous worker placement games (Caylus, Pillars of the Earth, etc.) so I really had no basis for comparison with this game's close relatives.

We set up the board for a four player game: My sister and I (in our 40s), and her two kids, 8 and 12. I had gone through the rulebook on my own and watched the great video by kerbster, so I was fairly comfortable with the mechanics. Explanation took a while because of frequent interruptions (what does this mean? why do we have extra people?) but I'm used to this, so no problem.

Everyone got the hang of it within a couple of rounds. The value of the farm was readily apparent, and almost everyone went for that first (except for my nephew, who invested heavily in tools.) My niece was reluctant to spend her pile of gold, but we explained that you need to use them to get points. Interestingly, no-one except me went for the 'love shack,' so I had a population advantage through most of the game.

I'm starting to get the idea that food management is one of the keys. If you have too much food, it's just a waste, because you don't even get points for them at the end. So you want to have just as much as you need. That way, your hunters can engage in more valuable pursuits.

I was snapping up the green civ cards and no-one was stopping me, which gave me the big point boost that put me over the top at the end. Everyone else followed a mish-mash strategy, a little of this, a little of that. Still, everyone's scores in the end were within 25 points or so, which is the way I like it, especially for a first play.

The greatest moments in the game come when someone was pushing their luck for a particular resource. Before rolling, we would say 'come on, all I need to get that gold is a 2' and, naturally, a 1 would come up, especially if it was absolutely essential. Everyone laughed whenever this happened. The game really does not take itself too seriously, which makes it perfect for this group.

Many other jokes came out naturally. When someone picked a tool, inevitably someone else would say 'you picked that because you are a tool.' And the love shack, although sadly underused, brought out a lot of great lines too, like 'can we put a yellow person and a blue person in there and get a green person?'

Overall, we had a great time, and I'm looking forward to many more visits to the Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you had a good game. This game gets alot of play in my house. Mainly my wife and son (age 13). My 7 year old son also plays it some as well and has it figured out.

This game is the main reason though for getting my wife playing games at all. I started her out on Carcassonne. Then this. Now she is trying all sorts of games including a bit more advanced ones like Power Grid.

Stone Age really is I think one of the best "Mid-Level" games. It falls perfectly between your entry level games like Carcassonne, Catan etc....and is a perfect stepping stone prior to stuff like Power Grid, Puerto Rico and Agricola.

=)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.