Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Reed
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!, You're reading the disclaimer, er, I mean, introduction that proceeds all my reviews here on BGG. Reviews are fantastic places for people to get insight about games, usually, before they buy them. (Or sometimes after they've bought them, played them, and thought, "oh crap! This game sucks, I wonder what other people think?")

Well, weither you're looking for a review for one of those reasons or many others, one thing's for sure, there's usually plenty of them out there. Most reviews describe the game, tell you how to play it, and then talk about what the reviewer thought of the game. I encourage you to read those too! (especially if your looking for a review pre-game purchase)

For my reviews I take three points that I think (or hope) the reader may find helpful about the game. The points vary by game. I do then give a short overall review and a score. So venture on brave gamer!

[size=18]
KILLERS BUNNIES AND THE SEARCH FOR THE MAGIC CARROT

POINT 1: Killer Bunnies Vs Munchkin

They say there are two types of people, Munchkin people and Killer Bunny people. (actually, I don't know who says that.) Anyway, If you're already a Munchkin player, or perhaps a Munchkin hater, will you like this game? I say definatley yes if you're a player, and possibly not if you're a hater. Here's why.

While I would argue that these two games are vastly different, there are a few mechanics that are simalir. But these mechanics are huge parts of the game. They are, trading, befriending, and backstabbing. The trading in KB is open to everyone all the time. While there are a few rules on what you can and can not trade, it's mostly up to the players. Like in Munchkin, if you know the player really needs something you have, you can make them sweat or charge an arm and a leg. Or you can simply be nice and just give it to them for dirt cheap. (usually this is where the giver expects some compassion or help later in the game) This is where the backstabbing comes into it.

Both these games are also "take that" games. So if you don't like Munchkin for that reason, stay away from the bunnies. Example: In one recent game, my Brother-N-Law had 7 carrot cards. (these cards are needed to win the game) He also had NO "bunny money". My wife played a card that caused him to either pay two dolla each to keep his carrots fresh, or return them to the market. She snikered, he held back the tears.

If you like the sillyness of Munckin, you'll find that in Killer Bunnies for sure. The cards are hillarious!

Finally, one thing I've noticed, is that for some reason, in Munchkin, winning is a big deal, and in Killer Bunnies it's not. So if you're not getting the cards, or you're being the "picked on" one, in KB it just doesn't seem to matter as much. I think it's because of the extremely lucky carrot draw at the end of the game that determines the winner.

POINT 2: Information Overload

I couldn't have said it better myself. (oh, wait, I did.) For a card game, Killer Bunnies has a LOT going on at one time. I have to say, please, start with the base set and perhaps the yellow then incorporate the others. When teaching this to new players, I strongly suggest you using only the base set first.

There are MANY single cards in the game that each due different things. Most of the time, reading the text on the cards explains it, but when first learning the game you'll have to refer to the "extra" booklet given that describes and breaks down these cards more thoroughly.

Once the game gets going, you'll really have to pay attention to whats going on on the table. The information overload really starts at the "RED" expansion. You start adding things like different markets and barriers. Then, each of the red bunnies has a different ability. Now there's even more chaos on the table. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just be prepaired to keep a lot of game information stored in that noggin of yours, or you'll be refering back to the booklets A LOT!

POINT 3: Feeding Bunnies is Not For the Poor

For this point, I'm going to talk about one of my gripes with the game. LACK OF MONEY! At the start of the game, the market is open to buy cabbage and water for 3 dollers each and carrots for 10 dollers each. The "blue starter" deck has 42 dolla in the ENTIRE deck! If you're playing with 8 players, thats 5 dolla each (With 2 left over. I did the math). So with 4 players that's what? That's right! 10 dolla each.

If you're lucky, you'll draw the 10 dolla card. But other than carrots, I say don't buy anything! Why, there are seven feed the bunny cards. This is why you need the water and carrots. Of those 7 FTB cards only one of them have you feed 1 cabbage and 1 water. That's 6 doola worth, and only 1 has you feeding 1 and 2. That's 9 dolla. So there's only two FTB cards that are cheaper than a carrot. The highest FTB card has you pay 5 and 5. That's 30 dolla worth of stuff! (the yellow booster adds a 10 and 10 FTB)

All together the seven Feed The Bunny Cards add up to 39 items to feed your bunnines. That's 117 dolla! Again, the game comes with 42 dolla. Once you get to the red booster, another market is added. You couldn't afford the first one. Yes, there is a card that lowers the prices at the market. There's also one that RAISES it!

You will feel poor in this game. If you're able to buy a carrot or two, consider yourself very lucky.

CONCLUSION:

Killer Bunnies is a down right fun filled time of hilarity and high jinks. It's best when played in an easy going setting with not so serious people.

Final Score: 7/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthpilgrim wrote:

POINT 2: Information Overload

I couldn't have said it better myself. (oh, wait, I did.) For a card game, Killer Bunnies has a LOT going on at one time. I have to say, please, start with the base set and perhaps the yellow then incorporate the others. When teaching this to new players, I strongly suggest you using only the base set first.

There are MANY single cards in the game that each due different things. Most of the time, reading the text on the cards explains it, but when first learning the game you'll have to refer to the "extra" booklet given that describes and breaks down these cards more thoroughly.

Once the game gets going, you'll really have to pay attention to whats going on on the table. The information overload really starts at the "RED" expansion. You start adding things like different markets and barriers. Then, each of the red bunnies has a different ability. Now there's even more chaos on the table. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just be prepaired to keep a lot of game information stored in that noggin of yours, or you'll be refering back to the booklets A LOT!

I think for me, the last decent expansion was the Orange deck. From Green on - it overexpanded itself and became too much work like you say.

It's a silly game, that I was fine with. I even looked past the end-game winning mechanic, but trying to keep track of things with rulebooks that must have been written while intoxicated or high - just made the game not fun anymore.

I would suggest playing with the base deck first as well, and only expanding to Orange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chilton
United Kingdom
Oldbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darthpilgrim wrote:

For this point, I'm going to talk about one of my gripes with the game. LACK OF MONEY! At the start of the game, the market is open to buy cabbage and water for 3 dollers each and carrots for 10 dollers each. The "blue starter" deck has 42 dolla in the ENTIRE deck! If you're playing with 8 players, thats 5 dolla each (With 2 left over. I did the math). So with 4 players that's what? That's right! 10 dolla each.

If you're lucky, you'll draw the 10 dolla card. But other than carrots, I say don't buy anything! Why, there are seven feed the bunny cards. This is why you need the water and carrots. Of those 7 FTB cards only one of them have you feed 1 cabbage and 1 water. That's 6 doola worth, and only 1 has you feeding 1 and 2. That's 9 dolla. So there's only two FTB cards that are cheaper than a carrot. The highest FTB card has you pay 5 and 5. That's 30 dolla worth of stuff! (the yellow booster adds a 10 and 10 FTB)

All together the seven Feed The Bunny Cards add up to 39 items to feed your bunnines. That's 117 dolla! Again, the game comes with 42 dolla.

Excellent review, but maybe you've forgetten that some of the cabbage and water cards are worth up to 10, so if you're lucky you'll only have to pay 6 dolla for a whole load of FTB cards! Chances are if you're picking up a few for a FTB 5/5 you'll get one that's for 2 Cabbage etc and so have to pay less than 30 dolla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pchilton2002 wrote:
darthpilgrim wrote:

All together the seven Feed The Bunny Cards add up to 39 items to feed your bunnines. That's 117 dolla! Again, the game comes with 42 dolla.

Excellent review, but maybe you've forgetten that some of the cabbage and water cards are worth up to 10, so if you're lucky you'll only have to pay 6 dolla for a whole load of FTB cards! Chances are if you're picking up a few for a FTB 5/5 you'll get one that's for 2 Cabbage etc and so have to pay less than 30 dolla.

Exactly what he said, plus FTB is basically a weapon whose purpose is to kill a bunny in addition to taking resources so sometimes bunnies will die. It is sort of the point that you shouldn't always be able to feed the bunny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm a KB lover and a munchkin HATER.

2. There's an excellent guide to teaching KBs on the official website.

3. You don't get change for cabbage & water, so 3 bucks is 3 bucks, unless you have to feed many bunnies on one turn.

4. No drugs or alcohol were involved in the writing of the rules or the game: team Alpha are pretty straightedge.

5. This was an original, entertaining review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.