Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just returned from my Grandfather's funeral where I discussed some of his time in the service with relatives. He was enlisted from '43-'45 and served aboard the destroyers Fullam and Farenholt, and apparently saw some pretty heavy action (sadly, I don't know exactly which battles he was involved in). I'm not a big wargamer, but I was wondering if any game goes into enough detail to actually have these individual ships as game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.destroyerhistory.org/benson-gleavesclass/ussfaren...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
I just returned from my Grandfather's funeral where I discussed some of his time in the service with relatives. He was enlisted from '43-'45 and served aboard the destroyers Fullam and Farenholt, and apparently saw some pretty heavy action (sadly, I don't know exactly which battles he was involved in). I'm not a big wargamer, but I was wondering if any game goes into enough detail to actually have these individual ships as game components.

Not a naval wargamer myself, but I looked up these two destroyers and learned they were involved in at least three named engagements: Battle of the Philippine Sea, Battle of Cape Esperance, and Battle of Okinawa.

Here are Wikipedia articles on each ship:

Fullam:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fullam_(DD-474)

Farenholt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Farenholt_(DD-491)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a good chance they are in Destroyer Captain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
They should both be here: Second World War at Sea: Leyte Gulf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:

Thanks, gittes! I went to Avalanche Press's website and checked out some of the information on this game (it's a monster). The Fullam is listed in the downloadable ship data records: http://www.avalanchepress.com/pdf/USLight.pdf.

I don't think the Farenholt was in there, but at least this is something. Unfortunately, $200 is a bit much for a wargame I'd probably never get to play, but I appreciate all the help from everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to come back after a Google, data, and, games check, cards and all. Looked at Wilhammer link that said it all i think, lest we miss Fullam got 7 stars ******* with a silver service star issued in lieu of five bronze (extra silver its for a bunch bronze they missed...OK poor math).
So after looking through cards bits and pieces i concluded later, with Victory in the Pacific i would just include a chit with its name on it. You could substitute/offer as play balance to say new players as extra ship since? Restrict it to historical areas on board. I am sure this could be done in other games, that others have since included, including, not yet included, and to conclude, thanks for the journey eh.

edit: Just read your reply above, now Victory in the Pacific or some other non monster game may go for less on eBay, looked up this game for fun, wow $69.95 only one out there...NOT added 4 more $10 $20 $17 and $5.51 negotiate some cheap shipping. I will get 1 play in this year, that way i know 2 or more games will be played, see others are still playing it SUPER eh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciaran wrote:
gittes wrote:

Thanks, gittes! I went to Avalanche Press's website and checked out some of the information on this game (it's a monster). The Fullam is listed in the downloadable ship data records: http://www.avalanchepress.com/pdf/USLight.pdf.

I don't think the Farenholt was in there, but at least this is something. Unfortunately, $200 is a bit much for a wargame I'd probably never get to play, but I appreciate all the help from everyone.

If it's a game you think might make a good gift - keep an eye out for their sales!

Just last week, this one was on sale for around $100. They had a 'buy 2, get 1 free' sale running, too, so (in theory - I don't know if they'd let you do this), you could have bought 2 for $200 total, got a free one to keep yourself, and sell the others on eBay (or something) at MSRP for a profit on the whole enterprise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's father served on the U.S.S. Edwards (DD-619) during World War II - this tin can went everywhere (Atlantic, Aleutians, and Pacific). One of my great uncles served on the U.S.S. Cleveland (CL-55), a light cruiser that served mainly in the Pacific. In the Pacific, these two ships were sometimes in the same task force (TF-18, I believe). The Cleveland is mentioned in a few Battlewagon scenarios but not the Edwards. It's rare that a naval game gets down to the "tin can" level but there are exceptions.

An uncle of my wife was on the U.S.S. Tide (AM-125), a minesweeper that was sunk by a German mine off the coast of Normandy on June 7, 1944. He was not one of the survivors.

There is an official U.S. Navy site that also lists every ship that ever served, if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Greenhalgh
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Farenholt may be included in Victory Games' Tokyo Express, but I can't remember for certain (I traded it away a while ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
The Farenholt appears in Toyoko Express' big brother Carrier

Fourth row, seventh from right.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.